Mongrel system (and owner) needs some upgrading advice

Bronze Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 54
Any advice? I have patched together a system from yard sale finds over the years and am finally realizing what is to be had from buying new and getting good (at least better than yard sale) quality.

My system is now:
-----------------
Pioneer 563a cd/sacd/dvd-a/dvd player (fairly new)

Onkyo 501 receiver (new)

12 and 16 gauge speaker wire

Some decent and some low end cables

Paradigm Titans for mains (4 years old)

Old!! Polk Audio (no identifying info) bookshelf speaker for the center channel

KLH 911b ("$10 at best buy") speakers for surrounds.

Velodyne cht-8 subwoofer

(IT IS A SMALL ROOM 8ft x 18ft)

Some Pinnacle AC-600 speakers at the end of 50 feet of decent wire in the bedroom. (Not as important)

----

I am thinking another Paradigm Titan for the center would improve things enough to justify the purchase. I understand that regular mains are just as good for centers as an actual center speaker - perhaps better if matched to main L&R speakers.

any advice? The receiver, sacd player and subwoofer have improved the sound quite a bit over my previous yard sale items I was using.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 425
The polk center is not bad - titan will not be a big improvement.

If you want to spend money on your system, I would get a new receiver - panasonic sa-xr70 for $320 on the web.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 58
Really!?! I suppose you are correct.

I just got the receiver and it was a vast improvement over my old old sony av unit. But, tis true I spent only $150 on it and probably got myself from poor only up to decent but no where near the good or great sound range.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 59
The Panasonic sa-xr70 seems to be only a slight improvement over my onkyo. 100 (rms?) watts per channel versus 65 watts RMS. same harmonic distortion figure, 6.1 sound rather than 5.1 sound.

But the point maybe valid none the less. Better receiver is the way to improve rather than better speakers since the mains are pretty good.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 534
Don,
Do not buy a Polk center to use with your Titans. If you plan on using the Titans as main then buy a cc-170 or cc-70 Paradigm center and a pair of Atoms for your surrounds. Their is nothing wrong with your Onkyo 501 in a budget system. Keep it for now. Your sub is fine. Your decision is if you want to keep the Titans for mains or upgrade and move them to the rear and then go with some Paradigm mini-monitors etc. If you like the Titans then go with my original plan and you;ll be fine. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 60
Thanks RealEliteFan

The polk speaker is not listed on their website - even under their discontinued section. I think it is very old - and "slightly crappy" to my ear (I did not major in English). That is probably the first thing to replace.

Is there any advantage to a center channel cc-170 rather than another Titan? One article I read said centers are only good cause they fit with the physical size of the TV better (and may be shielded). Another of the same main speakers would be more compatible and give better bass (usually).

I haven't checked the specs but I assume the onkyo would run mini-monitors allright - at 65watts for stereo 20hz-20khz rms? Ahh - 15-100 watts the site says. How would they be better? Less distortion and more bass? Ahh - an article said the tweeter is really high end and makes the mini comparable to the NHT super one.

The KLH 911b ("$10 at best buy") speakers for surrounds are probably the weakest link but at surrounds don't matter as much?

Thanks again for the input.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 61
Oh - to clarify - I am using an old polk bookshelf speaker as a center right now. I am not planning on buying a polk center.

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
Don,
The Titan is not shielded as all Paradigm models are not unless ordered that way.I have never been able to understand that about Paradigm when almost everyone else shields their speakers. The cost is very minimal so IMO Paradigm should just start shielding and be done with it. I couldn't believe it when both my local dealers told me they would have to special order a pair of Studio 40's shielded. The cc-170 is a very nice center and will mate well with many Paradigm models is both the Monitor and Performance lines. Your Onkyo will run any of the models discussed just fine. As I said you need to decide about your mains and center and go from there. The Titans and Atoms make very good surrounds with any speaker in the Performance and Monitor line. By all means do something and get rid of those garbage KLH's.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1076
it seems like i do this quite often but therealelitefan
is right on the money with this one."The cc-170 is a very nice center and will mate well with many Paradigm models"

sorry therealelitefan but lately weve had very simular
ideas on systems lately.

and i don't want to not post just because you did.

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
KEGGER,
I have noticed you agreeing with me lately. Great minds think alike I always heard. Either that or maybe the questions have been particularly easy lately. As you know one of the great things about Paradigm is they make so many speakers that it's very easy to put together a good system even across their model lines. If they would only shield all their speakers they would be about perfect. BTW in future just call me Elitefan. Later my friend.

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 34
I've got a mongrel system as well. LOL ! I started with a pair of Titans and found a pair of Studio 20 V2's for a good price. I am using a Titan as a center channel and it sounds ok. It is not shielded so I am sitting it on top of my cable box which sits on top of my TV. I agree also to go ahead and get the cc-170 or even the 270 if you stay with the Titans. I am looking to change to different speakers as fronts and getting a real center channel soon.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 88
I just got in some Axiom M3s - and will be comparing them to my Titans. I will probably upgrade them to someAxiom M22s cause they are better.

The Titans will end up in my bedroom or with my father in law probably.

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 35
I am interested in hearing how the Axiom's compare to the Titans. The Titan's definitely sound good for the money. If you decide you like the Titan sound better maybe you should audition the monitor or studio line. The Studio 20 is definitely a smoother more refined sound compared to the Titans. The m22 might be more on the same playing field as the Studio line.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 89
M3s vs. Titans

The Axiom M3s sound better in the high end and mid range. Clearer and less boxiness or echoing around in there that makes it sound like it was in a box.

On some cds that sound better with more bass the Titams did sound a little better - Roxy Music's greatest SACD and some Haydn string quartets I have. But I could turn up the bass or set up my subwoofer (I keep changing settings on my sub and it was off for this comparison). Most cds sounded significantly better on the M3s.

M22s vs Studio 20s - From: http://www.audioreview.com/pscAudioReview/Speakers/Main+Speaker/Millennia, M22,Ti/PRD_125688_1594crx.aspx#reviews

Reviewed by: Midnight_Rambler, Audio Enthusiast

Price Paid: $400 at Axiom Direct

Product Model Year:

Summary:
I own both the Axiom M22Ti's and Paradigm Studio 20 V.2's. After innumerable hours of listening, comparing, and forming an opinion I have come to this conclusion; sonically, these two speakers are almost impossible to differentiate. Conversely, my preference still resides with the Axioms. The studio 20's encompass a slight mid-bass hump in the 100-200 Hz region, portraying a fuller larger sound as a stand alone monitor. Consequently on some Male vocals they sound a little distended and not as natural as the M22Ti's. More notably they are half the cost of the Paradigms. The M22ti's moreover are a little more refined on the upper end of the frequency spectrum and they possess a vast 3-dimensional soundstage not found in speakers at this cost. The Axioms have a very clear and liquid smooth midrange and a tweeter counterpart. The M22Ti's are very neutral and natural sounding speakers, the bass is extremely tight and flat down to 50 Hz. They can be used as a standalone monitor; however, with the assimilation of a sub these speakers are exquisite, rivaling floorstanders costing upwards of $2000. Do yourself a favor and order these speakers, worst case scenario you send them back to axiom.

Strengths:
Neutrality
3D Soundstage
Midrange
Natural Sound
Build Quality
Cost
Canadian

Weaknesses:
None

Similar Products Used:
Paradigm Studio 20