Monitor Audio S6 with NAD, Denon, or Rotel?

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 32
Considering the NAD 763 or 753, Rotel 1056 or Denon 3905.

Room is 15x17 and I would say pretty neutral - hardwood floors and plaster walls, but huge couches, window coverings and a 10x8 padded area rug.

60/40% HT/2 channel music.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 548
Rob,
I think you will find if you listen to these receivers that the NAD is the better match out of your list. As a MA owner I would urge you to also consider Marantz ,Elite and H/K receivers. All have lots of power and the right sonics for MA. The Elite vsx55txi can be had from dynaco.com for $899. A really great receiver for a very low price and a perfect match with the S6's. The Marantz 7400 is also excellent and the new H/K 630 is as well. If you can find one and it has enough inputs for you check out the H/K 7200. It has the same limited inputs as NAD[6] and is a real steal for less than $900, if there are any left. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
therealelitefan -

I have definitely decided to go with the Monitor Audio S6 + S-LCR center. I was going with the NAD 753 or 763, but the prices on these Elite 53/55's are way down right now. Would they provide a better match for the MA's? I can audition them at my local Tw**ter store. Do you have any info on the new models coming out? I have seen the 56TXI on ebay but its around $1300.

My local BM dealer has Marantz, and I do like the warmer sound of their amps, but I've heard that the 7400 has some bass management limitations. Also, that brushed black metal with the 2 huge dials is not the most attractive mug of the bunch.

I guess the NAD is the most 'neutral' sound of the 3. I'm not really interested in H/K.

I went to dynaco.com and they have great prices, but I guess they are not a authorized dealer, and they have a no return policy on opened goods. Kinda scares me. Have you ordered from them?

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 18
Hi Robb,

I listened to those speakers with NAD T773 receiver and the T163/T973 pre/amp combo this past weekend. I was very impressed with the speakers with either of these sources. The separates sounded better (as they should given the price difference), but even with the receiver powering them, they still sounded real solid. Like the realelitefan, I think NAD and MA match quite well. I also think that MA speakers are very good for rock, home theater, etc...where you can really push the speakers...they do have some limits regarding detail, but at their price, I think they are a steal! Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
OK-

I bought the Monitor Audio S6's and the S-CLR center. Will have them next week.

My receiver choices are now as follows:

NAD 753 or 762 refurb
Marantz 7400
Pioneer Elite 53tx or 54tx

Any new info on the new Elite's? Not yet on the pioneer website.

One concerning issue - The guy at Tw**ter looked up to see and if they have any Elite 53tx's left in my state. No more, but 5 in the shop for warranty work.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 573
Rob,
Congratulations on the purchase of the MA's. What are you going to use for surrounds. I use and recommend the Silver 1. Any of the receivers you have listed will match beautifully with the MA's. Buy the one you like best and feel most comfortable with. Buy the way if your budget is getting a bit strained you can use the MA Bronze B1 for a surround. They are half the price as the Silver 1 but will blend in just fine. I have a pair in my kitchen and they sound great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
I demo'ed the Pioneer 55txi vs. the Marantz 7400. Elite came out the winner. Much more punch, and deeper bass. I can get it new from an authorized dealer for $999.

The Marantz sounded very flat with the exception of a bloated midrange, but unexciting. Maybe good for classical music, but prob not so good for rock, jazz or HT.

So it's down to the 55/53tx or the NAD's.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 55
i recently bought the nad 773 and MA s8's. i love the combo. i have used them only for 2 ch music thus far. i haven't had the time to round out the speaker set. also can't decide on S1 or Sfx (bipolar) for surrounds.

i demo'd marantz 7400 vs nad 763, albeit not on MA (since i could not find a dealer w/all 3 available for audition), and IMO the nad sounded clearly better. more dynamic and lifelike; i found the marantz a bit weaker sounding.

if you decide on nad, check out yawa.com. i bought from them, and they have great prices AND are authorized by NAD. also seem to have good service, as much as i could tell from the buying experience.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us