Newbie upgrading receiver

Username: Shahman

Post Number: 1
Hi there,

My KEF C-Series speakers finally bit the dust so I'm finally going to upgrade my system. I narrowed the range but I'm not sure if the information I'm getting is correct so any help would be appreciated.

Current System:
Receiver: Yamaha RXV-850 (circa 1990)
Fronts and Center: KEF C-Series (now blown)
Subwoofer: Velodyne F-Series
Rear: Klipsch Quartets

Goal: Upgrade to a system with current feature (5.1, 6.1, decent DSP settings, 7.1?) set for HT and audiophile performance (clarity, warmth, detail) for stereo (and future SACD/DVD Audio).

Only upgrading Fronts, Receiver, and maybe center.

Initially I purchased a HK DPR-1001 but it doesn't sound much better than my 14 year old Yamaha for stereo. The HT side is much better but mostly from a sub-out perspective. The Yamaha was poor at that, had to do a main out/main in filtered through the subwoofer to get decent bass.

I've decided to return the HK, the guy at the Hi-Fi store is pushing the Rotel RSX-1055, though I hear that model is being replaced as we speak. His reasoning is that the Japanese makes (HK included) all go for a very bright sound and that they lack the true power reserves necessary to drive a speaker as the variation in the signal drops its impedance down to 1 Ohm at times. Thus they lack the detail and warmth that more powerful receivers would provide.

I have to say I was happy with my Yamaha but I don't know if it will cope soundwise when matched to B&W or a Maggie. Especially since the Maggies are rated at 4 Ohms.

Lastly on the feature set issue, I want the receiver to be able to support HDTV. This means that I want component video switching and upconversion from S-video and composite. Just how important is this? I don't see this spec on any of the higher end receiever (NAD, Rotel) only on the Japanese makes (Yamaha, Denon).

Let me know what you guys think about the receivers. Right now I'm looking at Rotel, NAD T763, Marantz sr7400, Yamaha RX-V2400 and Denon 4802.

I know I have cut a wide swath and my ear is the best judge but any experience in cutting these options down would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Username: Edison

Post Number: 109
Check onkyo ts-xr800 out - if it has all the functions you need since it sounds good - won rceiver of the year award in a Hifi magazine and sounds sweet - even for movies.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=101502&adcampaign=email,ECOSTPG

Panasonic sa-xr45 is not the most pwerful but has a pleasing sound - smooth like an upscale unit and clean with a great bass. Only ($300 shipped). This one has a new digital amp technology - all the new panasonics will be digital.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/handr-deals/30044.html

I am pretty sure these have the functions you want, but check tham just incase - they do sound better than most.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 110
Kef C-series are nice - I have them too. What's wrong with them? If it's just the outer part of the woofers, they can be easily repaired - take it to a Hifi shop.

Speaker of that quality should not be thrown out but repaired if you ask me. They have a bit of upscale sound.

You will notice a imrovement with the receiver upgrade however, although Yamaha is not bad.

Username: Kegger

Post Number: 30
as fAR as reciever goes i really like the marantz
7400 pleanty of clean power,does everything even
the upconversion you want.secondly i might go with
the rotel.

if you really liked the sound of your kef's (good
speaker) maybe try a newer model and keep the center.

Post Number: 3
James,

The tweeter on one of the KEF's is blown. I checked with KEF and they want $200+ just for the part. I assume they would have to be replaced in pairs.

My center is a KEF but I had to get a Q-series because the C-series were discontinued and I never found a c-seies center channel.

If I coulf find a cheap way to replace them, I would like to hang on to them. I'm not sure the imaging is up to the B&W or Maggies, plus I would like to have the speaker matched all around, but at a minimum front and center.

I look into the Onkyo but the Panny will have the same problem as the HK, not enough juice.

Thanks

Post Number: 4
Kegger,

Have you had a chance to compare both side by side. I'm waffling on my decision to go into the Rotel 1055 price territory. I would be very interested in knowing the outcome of any comparison. I've heard of issues on the Marantz with the signal being clipped from optical sources. Also, I'm not sure how well they can drive a 4 Ohm load vs. the normal 8 Ohm. I don't know if they would be paired well with Maggies in terms of providing juice.

Thanks

Post Number: 31
the signal being clipped thing is not a marantz
thing several recievers do this but it is only
when playing 2 channel material from a digital
input if you use the analog it is fine.

anyways i have heard both although not side by side though(sorry).

and they are differant the more straight to the point way of discribing them would be the marantz
would be a little more mellow sounding very even
in power department to me.

sorry to through another reciever line at yu, but
if i had the money in my opinion i would get the
nad 773 it goes all the way down to 2ohm, plenty
of rockin power and all the features including 7
descrete amps/channels built in whereas the rotel
is 5 plus preamp outs for the others.i've seen it
for $1500 or less.

there are so many recievers and combonations out
there it's hard to say what is best for you.

i've been shopping and doing a lot of research lately and the brands that i like $1500 or less

in the order of my preference bang for the buck.
nad
marrantz
rotel and h/k
pionear elite

now these are obviously only my opinoins but i've looked at quite a few and have narrowed it down to these.i like the nad the best but marrantz is very nice and well priced $750 or less.i like the sound and build quality of the rotel but i really wanted a 7.1 reciever.

Post Number: 32
sorry i just reread your original post and saw
that you were allready considering nad (my bad)
i was a little tired when i read post.

like i said i wanted the 7.1 reciever so to me it
would be between the nad and marantz but if you
throw 4ohm speakers in the mix i would lean even
more towards the nad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us