Can someone please explain callabrating?

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 30
An A/V guy said I had to buy a callabrator (radio Shack $40) to callobrate the levels of each speaker....What the hell does this mean?

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 146
He means an SPL meter used to set all your speakers including your sub to the same volume level so you get a balanced output from all speakers (no one speaker will stand out). The analogue version will be fine.

I set mine by having the meter set to 70dB, A weighting and slow reponse and set the volume at 0dB when adjusting the levels. It will improve your setup as accurately set levels sound better than relying on settings adjusted by ear.

BTW congrats on your fine receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
I forgot to add it's pretty much an essential item IMO for AV users.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
Also set the levels to 75dB (reference level).

Username: Bruin62

Post Number: 10
i have something like that built into my remote avr 520 its just a light so when you walk up to each speaker the colour changes on it i don't think it works to well

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Thanks Valeem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Robert,

Before you set the levels make sure your receiver has warmed up as I find the levels on my 4300 can be different when adjusted cold.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
How often do I have to set the levels?

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
It's a good idea as your speakers loosen up to check the levels once every couple of weeks initially then check every few months to be sure everything is set correctly but you can set them as often as you like if you like playing with your new toys - lol!

My Marantz seemed to need adjusting more often but since I changed to a bulleted solid core coaxial this seems to have fixed this anomoly. Go figure!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us