New SVS PB10-ISD - $400

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 499
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/news.htm
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/images/pb10isd/lo%20PB10-ISD.jpg

"And that all critical frequency response? How about this: +/- 1dB from 21-125hz quasi-anechoic. And using the industry standard +/-3dB window... 18-200hz ??"

What do you think of this new fellow?

Spock of Vulcan
Unregistered guest
It looks like it will be quite worthy of consideration by the home theater crowd. For the 2-channel folks (like me), the lack of stereo inputs (both high level and low level are missing) and the lack of a crossover of any kind will probably cause us to look elsewhere. These issues won't cause any problems for those with receivers, though!

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 504
Yes indeed, receiver built-in crossover is required. But as you said SVS's are mostly cinema subs, and the new PB10 is a spartan but cost effective sub for mid-end multichannel systems. What it does, it does well. Probably.

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 48
I have to agree that in this price range they should of included a low line level and crossover. I have the HSU VTF2-mkII and it is listed 499$ (u.s) and it includes all of these features.

Since I do not have a receiver, this sub would be useless to me! It is no doubt very good I am sure!

We will have to wait for the reviews and see as for now all we have is what the SVS people say!

Spock of Vulcan
Unregistered guest
It's very interesting to see the discussions over on hometheaterforum.com, where the SVS head honchos have been talking a lot about this product. This is a good example of marketing: determining what product people will buy, and producing something that fits that description. They would have known that the decision to exclude features from their amp would not sit well with some people, but this sub is not geared to those consumers... they say as much in their posts.

I don't know if the statistics they quote are right (<1% of sub users use built-in crossovers), but their advertising spin is that the exclusion of features means a higher quality product in areas of more importance to >99% of users.

Marketing at work.

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 50
Yes it is interesting. I have found that SVS does a lot of Internet searching and marketing. I have found that they differ quite a bit from HSU in that aspect. They have been accused of bragging and Internet sabotage but who really knows?

They may have geared their new sub to a particular line of costumers BUT I still go back to the fact that it is in the same price range as the VTF-2 and I seriously doubt there will be a significant difference in sound besides a few DB's! I am not sure of their frequency response reality but that remains to be seen! When you have a choice to get more for the price, which one would you choose?

If only 1% of consumers are using crossovers, why do they put them at all then? I seriously think it was to save money as if this sub is as good as the head honchos are saying, they would eliminate it in all their subs! I use the crossover all the time as well as my plug on one of the ports etc..... these are there for a reason. If people don't want that stuff fine but it would seem this sub is more geared to home theatre instead of music. That is fine but nothing beats a good sub with music especially for the 90% that buy mid-fi like us! If you can afford the Krells and such maybe you can do without but I like having the best of both worlds........a sub that is good for music AND movies!

You have to realise that ALL is made in the U.S. with SVS whereas HSU has much of their items built in China I think and that has a lot to do with price. Some will argue that quality suffers but from all the discussions and reviews, that has never been proven with either of these makes..........both have been excellent!

I really believe the SVS will sell well but not as good the HSU due to its limitations BUT I could be wrong. I just don't think this will set off alarm bells over at the HSU factory right yet!

Spock of Vulcan
Unregistered guest
The pricing looks like it will be somewhere between the STF-2 ($399) and the VTF-2Mk2 ($499). They are talking about $399 for pre-orders and something above that for regular orders. It'll be interesting once the product gets into testers' hands, and specs like max output and so on can be determined.

As far as the crossover use goes, why don't we start a poll and see?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us