Any Thoughts on Kenwood VR-8070

Username: Gkjapo

USA

Post Number: 1
Looking to get any thoughts on the Kenwood VR-8070 THX Receiver. I just bought Infinity Primus250 floor standing speakers and a Velodyne 10" Subwoofer. I have some old KLH rear speakers and will eventually replace them. I will also match some mid-surround for the full complement of speakers. For the price and features, I can't find anything negative about this receiver.

Any information/help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 926
gary while i don't have any first hand knowlage
of that piece. i use to run kenwood gear in the
past but lately question it's quality.

their soveriegn line is suppose to be quite good.

don't know if that helps you at all, but just my
2 cents worth.

the recievers i find lately that give you good quality
for the price would be marantz,h/k,pionerr elite
those would probably be my 3 tops for bang for the buck.

USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Kegger,

I am primarily looking for a good sounding HT system. Music and movies are played about 50/50. Most of the receivers seem to have all the more advanced theater modes. This Kenwood is also THX certified. I have read the other posts about that topic, and, if I can get it at $500, why not. I would like to stay under $1000, preferrably under $800. Most of the h/k discussed on this board have been $1500 and up. The Pioneer Elite 53TX also looks good and is in my price range and has THX Select (not sure what the Select means).

Thanks for your input.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 938
i would think the The Pioneer Elite 53TX should
do you nicely.

but if you feal the price warrents the kenwood
maybe it's worth a try.

Username: Adstark

MPLS, MN

Post Number: 3
Gary I had that reciever and it was okay I didn't find anything really wrong with it except it could not sustain loud levels for long periods without really heating up and sometime cutting out(the heat sink sucks). it being thx certified doesn't really mean squat. I did end up returning it after about 2 weeks of use. I had a problem with the volume control. I also had a kenwood before that. Depending on what you want to pay and what the 8070 runs you may want to look elsewhere. I eventually ended up buying the H/k avr 630 which I got for 699.00 from circuit city. this completly blows the kenwood out of the water.also the pioneer Kegger mentioned is pretty good also.

USA

Post Number: 3
I ended up going with the Pioneer 53TX based on comments throughout this site and elsewhere. Listened to the new Infinity Primus250 speakers with the old Denon AVR610 receiver and Pirates of the Caribbean. Sounded great compared to the little things we had. Subwoofer comes in a day or 2 then the receiver. Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 960
GARY IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU DID YOURSELF GOOD.

let us know what you think when you get it all together.

i'd say give it a couple weeks to break in good
and get all your settings right before you make
a definative desiscen on how well you like it.
speakers/reciever and sub.

Anonymous

I just purchased the 8070. Got it for $360 shipped. It sounds pretty good but its time to upgrade my speakers. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1196
anonymous,
What is your budget?

speakers for 8070
Unregistered guest
I'd can spend between $300-$600....maybe a little more if i can hear a big improvement over $600 speakers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us