NAD C542 CD player is sweet.

Bronze Member
Username: Maroonmike

Dixie, USA

Post Number: 16
I got my new NAD C542 CD player hooked up this weekend and it is awesome. The sound playback is excellent - a degree better than my NAD T532 DVD player.

The controls are very easy to use and everything works as advertised. The only small issue is that it does not have a time remaining timer...no big deal.

I would highly recommend this if you in the market for a great CD/HDCD player. I picked this one up new for $350 at DMC electronics.

Bronze Member
Username: Persvako

North Europe

Post Number: 17
Nice to hear! I am buying the previous version C541i. I think it should be almost as good. What amp and speaker set do you have?

Bronze Member

Dixie, USA

Post Number: 18
I was about to buy a C541i until I found the deal on the C542. I am sure you will be pleased.

I have a NAD T742 receiver and PSB speakers all around. My mains are PSB Stratus Bronze. PSB and NAD are a great combination - without breaking the bank. How about you?

NAD Compulsive
Unregistered guest
Okay, I have a quick and not-so-clever question about the C542, but from searching on the web I can't tell if the power button is green or black!

I know I can go into the store and look but I don't want to make the trip until I have the money - my vow to myself; because I know I'd just buy it then.

The images on the NAD site make it look black, why don't NAD put proper photos on the site?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply to my lame question with a simple "It's green!" or "It's black!". Regards.

Bronze Member
Username: Persvako

North Europe

Post Number: 18
Strange... Looks like my message has disappeared...

MaroonMike:
>> I was about to buy a C541i until I found the deal on the C542. I am sure you will be pleased.

I have a NAD T742 receiver and PSB speakers all around. My mains are PSB Stratus Bronze. PSB and NAD are a great combination - without breaking the bank. How about you? <<

I have Dynaudio 52 speakers. I have still my Sony AV-receiver but I'll update it propably by NAD T753 this summer. I hope they'll be a good match! Do you know how is the DA-converter in C542/1i? I mean, does it make sense to use analog interconnect between the devices?

NAD Compulsive:
I think it's black but I'm not sure, in the other picture it looks more like green! :-) :D
Upload
Upload

ears
Unregistered guest
NAD changed there power button colour recently from green to dark grey( same as front panel

the 542 has a dark grey button

NAD Compulsive
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info. It sounds like I'll have an old style NAD C370 amp (currently have) and a new style CD player. As long as it sounds great!

Bronze Member

Dixie, USA

Post Number: 23
persvako,

I use all digital interconnects on my stuff and it seems to work well. I am also thinking about upgrading to a T753 receiver. NAD is very addictive!

Johanr
Unregistered guest
I'm getting my C542 on Tuesday or Wednesday. After reading all the great reviews on the web I simply cant wait!

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 77
I have NAD T752 with NAD C541 (just recently purchased used). I have found that using the receiver DAC results in lower volume and the highs and bass are not as pronounced. I prefer using the DAC from the CDP.

I was using a Pioneer 563a as a CDP as well and preferred the Pioneer DAC over the 752 DAC. I got the same results lower volume and highs did not sound as good when using 752 DAC.

I must admit the difference in sound between the 563a and C541 is night and day. The 563a sounded grainy and harsh when compared to the 541. I did not know what I was missing. The 563a sounded ok but the 541 is in a whole different league.

I have Dynaudio 42's with the NAD 752 and C541 and IMO is also an excellent match.

JohanR
Unregistered guest
Is it normal for the NAD C542 display to stay slightly lit - even when in standby? You get a red reflection in dark conditions

Bronze Member
Username: Spl

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 28
I bought a NAD C542 a few months ago and was very happy with it. My sister bought it so I was on a lookout for an even better CD player. I listened to the Rotel RCD-1072, Consonance CD120, Jolida JD100-S. The others were too expensive already. I ended up with the C542 again! :-) I'm happy again.

I use Dynaudio Audience 52's and they are really a perfect match with this CD player.

Bronze Member

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 29
I bought a NAD C542 a few months ago and was very happy with it. My sister bought it so I was on a lookout for an even better CD player. I listened to the Rotel RCD-1072, Consonance CD120, Jolida JD100-S. The others were too expensive already. I ended up with the C542 again! :-) I'm happy once more.

I use Dynaudio Audience 52's and they are really a perfect match with this CD player.

JohanR
Unregistered guest
Got my NAD C542 on Thursday and it is simply unbelievable. My question is very simple. Just need a straight yes or no from existing C542 owners :

Is it normal for the NAD C542 display to stay slightly lit - even when in standby? You get a red reflection in dark conditions

Bronze Member

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 33
JohanR,

Now that you've mentioned it, when the room is pitch black dark, I can see a slight red glow at the display. I've never noticed this until now.

JohanR
Unregistered guest
I have since got a reply from NAD. Here's what they had to say :

"If you are referring to the horizontal, faint red lines, then it is normal. Nothing else should be displayed however, no characters or numbers."

Anonymous

The NAD C542 was suggested to me by a retailer in Sydney, Oz, but I am still not sure.
I have a MF120 and a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers and want to expand slowly, ie start with a CDP then upgrade to an external DAC, then upgrade to a pair of Monitor Audios or FocalJMLabs (also recommended by the same retailer).
Is the NAD god enough to be a transport to a good spec DAC?

Username: Paulk

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 1
The anon msg was me, I have registered now and went out and bought the C521BEE yesterday for myself for my birthday which coincidentally was yesterday.
I took the worst recorded cd in my small collection, rated by the sales guy as the worst he'd EVER heard, Stevie Wonder's greatest hits bought for AUS$10 brand new, as well as St Germain's Tourist and Coldplay, and tried 3 players.
I told the guy the C542 was suggested earlier by email and it was confirmed as the best player in the shop for under $1000 (AUS again). The other two were the C521BEE and the crappiest player in the room, a Yamaha, a brand which is sonically excellent to those who like Sony, and flat to those who don't. It was chosen to represent my current CD/DVD player which, to make matters more embarrassing, is built into my widescreen Thomson TV.
Anyway the 521 won, the 542 couldn't be justified seeing as it's only better than the 521 by a nosehair in the DAC stage.
Rebuttals welcome!

Bronze Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 14
no rebuttal necessary, since you did the sensible thing and bought what sounded good to you. You have avoided becoming a victim of the hype!

Username: Paulk

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 2
thanks I was afraid I may have stepped on a few toes with this thread being primarily about the 542...

Unregistered guest
I have C524 for almost a year, I got it in May 2004 and I have around 30 -- 40 hrs of playing. I have debated on different players: Yamaha, Sony, Denon, Marantz, Cambridge, Rega, Arcam, and more. I have listened to a lot of cd players trying to see witch has a better sound. Thay don't, just different. I came to one conclusion, it is the best player you can buy for the money ($600 CAN). You will have to spend at least 3 times as much just to come even. Music is my life, I have spend over $50,000 on music (over 1200 or more CD'S + vinyl), and the last thing that I wanted to do is paying $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for sound system just because someone said "this is the best, or, you pay more you get better sound" Yes but for how much more money. I played all kind of music on it, classical, jazz, rock, electronic as well as disco. It will handle all. It has very natural sound, sweet, sharp, sound stage, low & high are excellent. You can hear how badly some cd's are recorded.
Even in some cases sounds like a vinyl (HDCD playback).
I'm using NAD C160 preamp and C272 amp with Tannoys D-50 speakers
It is perfect combination.

Bronze Member
Username: Riffman

Post Number: 12
Dereko, is it better than the AH! 4000 with upsampling at around $1,100? I can't decide on a player because I can't figure out if spending more than $500 or $600 (jumping to the $1,000 range) is worth it. Do you think upsampling even makes a difference?

Bronze Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 85
I have a NAD C541 not C542 but both are very similiar in sound. The guy I bought the C541 from decided to upgrade to a Music HAll MMF-25 with modifications. He sold the NAD before getting the Music HAll and once he got the MH he was dissappointed. The Music Hall w/mods did not show much of an improvement over the NAD C541. LAst I heard he was going to buy an outboard DAC which is pushing his costs well over 1k.

With a player like the C542 IMO the law of diminishing returns starts there. To get much better sound you will have to spend way more $$$
I also agree that the C542 will not be much of an improvement over the 521BEE for standard redbook CD's. C521BEE does not play the HDCD format. There are quite a few titles on HDCD and IMO HDCD is a noticable improvement over standard CD's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
JamesP, I as also using the 563 for cd playback. Yuck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
James P, I was (or still am) also using the 563 for cd playback. Yuck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
sorry about that. thought I hit cancel.

Bronze Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 86
The 563a for redbook CD's sounds harsh and grainy when compared to the C541. No depth to the soundstage and entirely too bright. From other readings on the 563a it is not a bad transport and would sound pretty good with a good DAC. I just can find myself to listen via digital out using my receiver's DAC. The T752 DAC does give better seperation but to me ears sounds too analytical! Very uninvolving.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I don't like the DAC on my NAD T743 either.

Unregistered guest
Rudy,
Upsampling makes a difference if you will use DAC from cd player. The sound using coax and letting your preamp or receiver do the work is only as good as DAC in it. I have tried coax and DAC from C542 (I have other unit whit digital in "Yamaha") and DAC in C542 sounds much, much better. I have tried 24 bit 96, I used my computer to upsample the standard RED BOOK ( Sound Forde 7.0) but it made very small difference, almost non.

If you like, you can try Musical Fidelity A5 cd player (DAC 24/192) just to see a difference ($3500 CAN)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us