Replacing Drive Belt Zenith LR929P Console Stereo

Username: Bandslak

Oshawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
I have to replace a broken drive belt on the subject machine but cannot determine how to remove the turntable. The center shaft pulls out but the table cannot be pulled off that I can see. There are 2 bolts at opposite corners which appear to be for holding down the unit while moving etc. (would these also be for removal of the whole unit?)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14567
Brian in the Shwa:

If you do not find a procedure online, you may have to try it and see.
No real tricks here that i know of.
Watch out for the center bearing on the spindle shaft.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14568
There are externally bondable belts in a kit to be had, for lo-fi applications.
No offence intended.
Google belts that way?
Getting into the auto gears is a pain.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14512

What are you trying to remove? The platter or the plinth (the turntable proper)?

Are you certain you need to replace a belt? Most of the turntables used in consoles were either BSR or Garrard models both of which used a rim drive system. The only stacking changer made was a BIC and to my knowledge no console manufacturer cared to spend the money to buy the far more expensive BIC table when a $12 BSR would suffice.

Oshawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
Yes, it was a broken belt that I need to replace and I think I need to remove the actual turntable to do that. Am I wrong there? There appears to be a washer in the middle of the turntable(round with an open end like a horseshoe) but I am not sure of its actual purpose. As I mentioned, the center shaft (where the hole in record goes over) simply pulled out in my hand when I pulled it. I had thought that the turntable screwed off but that doesn't seem to be the case and I have pulled up on the turntable but that dosen't seem to do anything either.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14573
Stop.
Dude, stop.
If you want this thing to work properly again, if you care, then stop now.

The little bits are necessary to keep track of.

Oshawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
What are you talking about? If you can't help why bother to reply to my posting? I certainly don't need "Stop Dude Stop" and nothing else. What purpose does that serve?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14514

It attempts to stop you from manhandling the thing into submission. However, it would appear it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Yes, you are wrong, you do not need to remove the entire table to replace a belt. You only need to remove the platter.

The "C" clip should be removed with a tool specific to the task, a "C" clip tool or "C" clip pliers to be exact. If you try to remove it otherwise, there's a very good chance it will go flying across the room and be lost forever. The "C" clip tool also is a tremendous aid when replacing the clip. Most good hardware stores sell the tool.

After a few decades of sittting there's a very good chance the platter is frozen in place by thickened grease. You need to pull straight up on the platter and, if it doesn't release, you'll need to use a few drops of penetrating oil, wait for it to settle in and then hope for the best. If you wish to use the table again, do not force the platter off the spindle.

I'll repeat my statement that consoles did not use belt drive turntables.

How did you determine the belt needs replacement?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14576
Not that it mtters at the moment, but no belt drive consoles JV?
Or none of note?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14515

Not a one that I can remember. Of course, my sales career did not center around consoles.

Virtually every one of them used a cheap Garrard or an even cheaper Beezer. Consoles came with changers and the only belt drive changer, as I have said, was a BIC - it was their claim to fame that they created a belt drive changer in the mid '70's. Otherwise, changers were rim drive tables.

We'll wait and see if the platter comes loose. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I doubt it.

Oshawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the info Jan, I appreciate it. I guess part of my confusion is terminolgy, it appears when I refer to the turntable I actually mean the platter.

In answer to your last question, and as stated above in my Feb 14th, 7:11pm posting, I have the broken belt that needs replacing. It appear from various sites that they are available for around $10.

Thanks again.

Oshawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
Every time I go down to the mother-in-laws I give a tug or two on the platter but so far no luck in removing it.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16252
Brian

Remove the C-clip then put out the platter, if it is stuck put shim on both side of the platter to lift it a little then with a aluminium piece to protect the center shaft knocks with the hammer!

Good luck!

Username: Alilapointe

There is a white rubber ring that you can slide up and off the center shaft.

Username: Gary5lewis

ou're right to leave those corner bolts alone; they're typically for securing the unit. To replace the drive belt, you should only need to remove the platter (the round, spinning part of the turntable).

If there's a rubber mat on the platter, remove it first.
Then, apply gentle upward pressure on two sides of the platter, rotating slightly if necessary. This should allow you to lift the platter off.
Now, you should have access to replace the drive belt.

Username: Gary5lewis

Post Number: 2
You're right to leave those corner bolts alone; they're typically for securing the unit. To replace the drive belt, you should only need to remove the platter (the round, spinning part of the turntable).

If there's a rubber mat on the platter, remove it first.
Then, apply gentle upward pressure on two sides of the platter, rotating slightly if necessary. This should allow you to lift the platter off.
Now, you should have access to replace the drive belt.

Username: Mia02

Post Number: 4
To remove the turntable:

Pull out the center shaft.
Loosen the bolts at opposite corners.
Lift and twist the turntable to release it.
If unsure, consult the manual or seek professional help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us