Struggling to get sound from tv to amp

Username: Spudorange

Post Number: 1
Hello,
Firstly I would like to say hi all, can not find an "introduce yourself" so posting within my thread.
................................................................................ .....................

Equipment:
Pioneer 527-K /S amp
Hitachi 48HK6T74U smart TV

I am trying to get sound from the TV through my Amp and I am struggling.

I have hdmi 1 to input of amp & various leads to sat box, video, roku etc & selecting the correct input, such as dvd I can watch and hear perfectly through the 5/1 speakers.

My problem is when I have the TV on anything such as Freeview, BBC Iplayer, Youtube etc etc, anything through the TV will only use the TV speakers and not the surround sound.

I have optical out connected to the amp and am at a loss what else to do.

An example would be if I connected a spare sat box up to HDMI 2 then the sound would still come from TV speakers, despite having the optical cable fitted mentioned.

Appreciate help with this please

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18382

There's very little we can do when we are not in front of the system.

First, I would suggest you go to the "Receivers" section of this forum and read a few threads. The problems are largely similar and have similar answers.

You need to strip the system down to bare essentials and start with the signal from the satellite receiver to the AV receiver. Obviously, make sure you have an good optical cable, they break rather easily.

I seldom recommend running sources through he monitor first. Going straight from the source to the AV receiver is the most certain connection without any intermediary devices.

Go through the menus for each source and the receiver/monitor. Often handshakes are not completed until the menus are adjusted.

Check the threads in the "Receiver" section and see what happens. If you get sound through the receiver from one source, add another. Keep notes when you make a change in order to allow for going backwards.

Let us know.

Post Number: 2
Hi

thanks for reply but I am not sure if I made myself clear.

I am perfectly satisfied with going through the amp via hdmi 1 and everything is fine on all devices.
However!

Selecting anything on the tv (except hdmi_1) gives me sound ONLY from the tv speakers despite having optical cable fitted.

thank you

I hope that is clearer.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18385

OK, that would seem to place the responsibility for the data transfer with the monitor. Have you tried simply switching the internal monitor speakers off?

Hopefully, I'm understanding your connection set up. If you ONLY have an optical cable between the monitor output and the AV receiver, it's likely the Hitachi cannot make the conversion from, say, an HDMI in from one source component to the optical output on the monitor.

I would still suggest you run through the menus for proper switch settings. Some components make universal changes and some make individual changes to each input/source.

Without being in front of the system, all I can suggest beyond that is that you contact Hitachi. From what you've posted, I would begin with their component's proper set up and operation.

Since most modern audio/video components are built around large scale chips, multiple functions are controlled by the same chip. That typically means individual, discrete functions cannot selectively work or not. Therefore, suspecting a defective component is rare. Most problems are resolved through the menu settings.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3431
I just went thru a TV audio SetUp with a stereo.
I had to set the TV Audio Output (via optical) to PCM. I do not have any HT stuff.

I know it's 'just' stereo, but try setting TV to PCM only and see if you get a result.

Post Number: 3
Thanks everyone

I will try those suggestions mentioned

also I feel a chat with the help line would not hurt as it is a new tv

thanks again

Post Number: 4
Resolved.

Taking advice posted here I went into a deep dig around in the menu.

The switch is not in the audio section, it is in:
MENU
SETTINGS
MORE...
SPEAKERS (set to amp)

phew

Thanks everyone who posted
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?