Ne NAD amps...

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 745
http://nadelectronics.com/articles/NAD-Brings-Masters-Level-Innovation-and-Perfo rmance-to-the-Affordable-Classic-Series

I was interested in particular with the c338. I am old school in running wires...but the bluetooth feature is something I would
really like to embrace.

So no need for a separate cd player and tuner like I have upstairs. I would hook the c338 up to the tv in the basement family room and stream pandora or anything else to the NAD and go from there.

Any opinions on the amps and the technology used ? Certainly not the old school class a/b type. From the pics I do not even see
any ventilation slots on the top of the c338 ?

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 746
that would be new ...not ne.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3382
The NAD Website claims SMPS, which are Switch Mode Power Supply and won't have a large, heavy Toroid or other transformer like a linear supply. One advantage is that, in the case of the NAD, will run on almost ANY voltage found in any country on the planet.
They also are touting their take on 'D' amps. The combination of a SMPS and the 'D' amp potentially means 80% or greater, plug to speaker efficiency. At full output. Less heat generated by the entire circuit.

High efficiency and lighter weight AND no exclusive versions for 220v or 120v countries. Many manufacturing savings AND also savings in shipping a lighter amp. What's not to like from the NAD end?

Now? You should listen and talk to people about the BT connection which MIGHT not provide the 'HiFi' you desire, but instead be more MP-3 like.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3383
Further reading shows that NAD has been working with HYPEX and uses UcD as the 'basis' for their designs.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18287

Don't know anything about this amp. I would say, the house sound for NAD and Hypex are not the same IMO. What that means for this amp, I don't know. Is NAD prepared to scrap the sound they have promoted for four decades? I tend to value sonic consistency even if I disagree with the final result.

Class D amps have many advantages and will eventually be common in consumer audio. Early versions had a fairly narrow load impedance range (for the loudspeaker) suited to their switching type power supply.

You can't view the amplifier in exclusion to the rest of the system.

I'm of two minds when it comes to features such as Bluetooth. The basic pitch of any consumer level audio component is something new in the way of features and connectivity.

If you want Bluetooth today, will it be a useful feature in, say three years time? If connectivity changes and your system is no longer compatible, how useful will the feature be then?

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 747
Well Jan it seems as if bluetooth will be around for awhile. One thing about NAD (and nobody is perfect), is they do not hop on a trend. They tend to move in a very deliberate manner and do not incorporate features as quickly as say the Japanese companies. I feel this may allow me to build a music "system" without adding additional components. Saving money and taking advantage of current technology. I tend to move slowly myself...didn't start buying cd's until 1998 !

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3118788/internet-of-things/faster-longer-range-bl uetooth-5-to-reach-devices-soon.html

https://www.bluetooth.com/news/pressreleases/2016/06/16/-bluetooth5-quadruples-r angedoubles-speedincreases-data-broadcasting-capacity-by-800

As far as the NAD house sound I do agree that it really cannot have that sound with a totally different set of internals. The hypex modules seem to have great reviews and the specs (I know we do not listen to specs) look great.

This is what I found about bluetooth and NAD's implementation of it.

"You can connect instantly to the C 338 with Bluetooth��½ï¿½ï¿½½½ allowing
you to stream music wirelessly from any Bluetooth-enabled
device. The high performance aptX��½ï¿½ï¿½½½ codec is fully supported for
true CD-quality sound."

https://www.cnet.com/news/can-aptx-give-you-better-sound-over-bluetooth/

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18288

"Well Jan it seems as if bluetooth will be around for awhile."

It probably will. And I don't use Bluetooth so I know virtually nothing about the technology.

My point would be the simple fact an incredible amount of audio gear is sold on the front and back panel connectivity and the remote. Actual music reproduction isn't even discussed.

That's the real market NAD has to keep in sight. They are the (higher priced) alternative to that market and must keep their toes dipped in that market to get a look.

Do I think a Pioneer buyer is also looking at NAD? Not in most cases but NAD might want them to look at their product. That means NAD has to remain competitive in many of the front and back panel feature sets.

The familiar adage remains true, sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Take "the high performance apt codec" as an example of how connectivity and future proofing your system work together. I have no idea how backwards compatible the apt codec is or how any future upgrade in this application would affect the actual use of Bluetooth in the next few years.

You can bet Pioneer, Sony and so on will be making changes to their products to sell the latest version of Bluetooth.

I can't predict the future but eventually, unless Bluetooth has the same commitment to backwards compatibility we've seen from, say, Dolby surround formats, is there a situation where the apt is no longer useful?

I don't know. This is the sort of gamble you decide to take if you buy in this market. If you feel comfortable with the feature and its ongoing value, then you buy the amp without concern.

If you think you're better off without the feature and more money being put into the amp itself, then you continue to look.

It's your choice and your decision to hop on the merry go 'round of constantly obsolete consumer audio or stay with your comfortable mainstays that are a bit stodgy (fewer features, less flash to point to) but have reliably high levels of performance.

If the apt codec is good to go for you, my main concern with the amp would be the real world compatibility with your current loudspeakers.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3384
NAD says they use the UcD from Hypex as the BASIS. This leaves lots of wiggle room for NAD to modify.
Also, I've spoken with Bruno, the 'inventor' of the Hypex UcD stuff. when I brought up speaker loading he said his stuff was 'load invariant'. I don't think this can be said of the main competitor, B&O who make ICE modules.

I wouldn't base my choice on the AptX codec. There are 4 or 5 'versions' including an algorithm which is very high sample rate and used for lossless files. It's been around for a while. Even my early 2009 iMac supports the basic versions which are pretty good.
Besides, once you have a STABLE system that works, i'd worry less about changing protocols. After all, my TV supports HDMI 1.3 (I think) but I'm not about to junk it out to get something supporting HDMI 2.0 or whatever the latest is.

'D' amps have come a LONG way. The only speaker type I KNOW they won't be happy with are the highly reactive loads and very low impedance found in EletroStatic Speakers. Other than that? LISTEN FIRST. And turn it up to see if the amp will provide enough 'headroom' and won't run too warm if you have it in an enclosed space.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18291

"when I brought up speaker loading he said his stuff was 'load invariant'."

IMO that statement, which I've heard from several manufacturers, is either pure voodoo or purely less than honest marketing.

"Go'way, son! You bother me. Didn't you hear me say my stuff is load invariant?"

"Yeah, I heard it, I just don't believe it."

"After all, my TV supports HDMI 1.3 (I think) but I'm not about to junk it out to get something supporting HDMI 2.0 or whatever the latest is."

The issue I've run into is with connectivity. I have a very, very nice Outlaw surround pre amp which would be fine for all I require in my 5.1 system.

Except there are no compatible connectors for the latest versions of source players. At least, not without adding multiple adapters to the system which just doesn't get me excited.

Higher transfer rates require different connectors. Sticking an adapter in the line to go to a lower transfer rate jack just doesn't sound like such a wonderful idea. The Outlaw would still be OK if all of my video gear was built to professional standards. But I couldn't find a "professional grade" Blu-Ray player for under a grand.

Sooooo ...

I have a pre-Outlaw NAD pre amp with mostly the same issues.

I bought a rather middle of the road HK AVR that I won't be all that upset about when it craps out. AVR's do not get my blood running.

So the pre amps are assigned to the closet of no return. Lots of audio/video gear that just has no useful future due to incompatibility issues.

Anyone want a top o'the line Laser Disc player? 480 lines of horizontal resolution. Just beneath DVD quality. AC3 outputs!!!

How about a universal disc player; CD, DVD, SACD, etc, etc, etc?

Oh, yeah, I'll throw in my entire collection of SACD's with that deal.

Pre-planned obsolescence is what keeps the consumer audio/video market alive. Well, that and the fact most consumer level AVR's are dead after about 6 years.

No point in fixing 'em 'cause there's new stuff with new features and new connectors that you'll need. Plus that one large scale ic isn't available any more anyway.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3386
My wife's family was greatly disappointed at the demise of the LaserDisc. It was the FIRST family purchase when everyone (all the kids) started making money and they were nearly 'out of the poor house'.

For the time? NOTHING beat it.

I recently gave away a DBx Compressor / Expander WITH the decoder circuit for DBx Encoded VINYL.
How's THAT for a tech that has gone away? At least the connectors match. I used this device with my Tandberg 3000x reel-to-reel. Another tech which appears at shows but in few homes.

I have kept my closet free of lots of 'extra' electronics by simply GIVING IT AWAY. It's been years, but I gave away my collection of R-2-R. A Sony TC355. A TEAC A-4010S and a Roberts (Akai?) with CrossField heads.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us