6.1 or 7.1 setup?

Nate Raymond
I'm going to be receiving a Harmon Kardon AVR325 shortly, which can do 6.1 and 7.1. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V592, which can drive two center channel speakers, and which has two Wharfedale Diamond 6R bookshelf speakers as my center channel. So I can move one of those to the rear for a center rear and a 6.1 setup, or I can buy a Wharfedale Diamond 8 center for $130 right now and move both of the Diamond 6R speakers to the rear for a 7.1 surround setup.

What do you folks recommend? Am I really going to notice a big difference between 6.1 and 7.1? (And if 7.1 is better, is there a better center for around $130 than the Wharfedale Diamond 8?)

G-Man
Not a question of better. If you have a large amount of room behind where you listen then 7.1 is better than 6.1, which is better than 5.1.

It just fills in holes and makes the sound more seemless. But unless you have considerable room behind your listening position (both in width and length), it can make more of a mess than an advantage.

If you sit mostly up against the wall--5.1 is the way to go. 6.1 or 7.1 in that scenario is a major annoyance--physically and sonically. You need large amount of room behind your listening spot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us