Best bang for my buck

Username: Pushmataha

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a good receiver that will allow me to listen to music on the outdoor patio and still allow my husband to enjoy what he wants to listen to inside. Bare in mind I don't know much about stereo equipment. We currently have a surround sound system that has a receiver that does not allow this. Any recommendations for a good reliable system I'll need would be appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18119

You need to establish a budget. You can buy what you want from a few hundred dollars for the receiver alone to several thousand dollars for the receiver alone.

You'll need to determine just what requirements you have for the system. Where you want signal and where you don't. How many ways you want to split the output of the receiver and whether you want only sound or sound and video switching.

Wiring may be difficult to install in some locations and, if that's your case, you would want to look at wireless capabilities, along with wireless remote control functions. This will raise your cost slightly but more importantly reduce your options. Keypads installed permanently in walls are rather simple nowdays. Even easier if there is the ability to hardwire the keypads.

Who will do the install? If you or your husband are not familiar with running wiring though walls, you'll need to speak with a shop that offers installation services. A site survey will tell you what is possible and what may be more difficult and more costly. The rule is generally; if you want to pay for it, it can be done.

Without knowing your budget or exactly what you would like to accomplish with the system, it's rather difficult to make product suggestions. Adding switchable video in each area of the home will also make for a different product.

Many of the cable/satellite television companies offer ethernet connection between your router and your TV. If all you want is a discrete TV feed in one room, this might be your best choice.

I would say look around using a search engine entry for "multizone receivers". Get an idea of what's available. Then head to a local retailer. If you have a neighbor or friend with a system you like, ask where they shopped.

You don't need gobs of power in most systems though features are added as power goes up. The downside there is too many features can actually get in the way of having good sound.

Good luck.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us