Identifying MM from MC turntable?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14443
I'm presently setting up an old Onkyo A-8150 integrated amplifier that has a setting for the Phono input for MM or MC, depending on the type of turntable (moving magnet or coil)
I'm connecting an Ion TTUSB turntable to it, which is set for phono out (not line out) but need to know which setting to use. mm or mc?
Whic is most common in lower end or inexpensive turntables?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16522

Turntables by themself are not "MC or MM". The cartridge which comes with most low end tables would normally be either a moving magnet type or, if the table is really cheap, a ceramic which could run into a MM input. You'll do no damage to the amp or table by trying the cartridge loading switched to either type as long as you're careful about testing. But you'll very likely find the "MC" setting will provide far too much gain for a MM cartridge so keep the volume down very low when testing. More than likely, a MM cartridge will overload a MC input and will distort the sound - among other things. The electrical loading of MC's and MM's is quite different and will likely make for poor sound quality if the wrong type of cartridge is used with either switch position. Of course, many mid market Japanese pre amplifiers had "MC" inputs which did very little to actually load the cartridge properly so you might not hear the improper loading as much as just having too much gain.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14445
yeah the more I read up the more I was guessing it's an MM cartridge. The replacements are only about $20-30..

This turntable was mainly purchased for it's USB output so I can convert some vinyl to CD (old tom lerher and smothers brothers records and chad mitchell trio, stuff like that.) I wasn't shooting for high end output so I'm not too worried about the performance. I just ran it through an old setup I have in my bedroom that has my old Nak tape deck and CD changer as well. older stuff most people don't bother with anymore.

Thanks for the help. While I have a decent collection of vinyl, I never really delved into the study of the higher end turntable world or the technology associated with it for stylus quality, pre-amps etc specific to turntables.

Username: Mrkil1o1

NEW YORK, NY United States

Post Number: 1
As I couldn't find any designation on the cart I need to ask is the Stanton 500-II MC or MM?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18120

MM
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums