In its box and in your closet.

Username: Jdmz

Post Number: 2
lol that doesnt help much. I need to mess with my midrange

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13032

Why? What's going on with your midrange that you need it messed with? 'Cause that's about all an EQ can manage, "messing" with it.

What type of EQ do you have? Ten band graphic or a parametric?

Post Number: 3
I don't know, i dont have one yet. I want to get the DBX 215 though. My midrange a little too bright and i need to turn that down a bit. I also want to exaggerate the bass around 80hz a bit.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13037

There are multiple locations to insert an EQ, the owner's manual of the unit should provide instructions on several of them. Be aware of the fact graphic equalizers simply introduce some degree of noise and distortion to the signal along with phase shift and comb filtering. All of these things are what you got rid of when you purchased a higher quality system. Parametric EQ's are the better choice but still have trade offs that can be offensive in a high end system. Better to deal with your issues through speaker placement and room treatments.

Silver Member
Username: Jblsince1989

Post Number: 149
I'd run a frequency test of wideband pink noise with RTA and 1/3 octave EQ parametric measurement. Play the pink noise on each loudspeaker at a time with one turned off while you analyse the loudspeaker for any dips and peaks.

Use the sliders on the EQ and try to use cuts rather than boosting the EQ especially on the low and high end least thing you what is damaged bass driver or brunt out voice coil on the HF tweeter end.

I'd run separates with Behrenger DCX2496 loudspeaker management crossover system, with added Behrenger DEQ2496 31 band EQ and newer separate power amplifiers Samson Alesis and Behrenger make affordable professional grade amplifiers so do the homework look around and see what you can decide on.

Post Number: 4
i have a pretty good setup acutally.. I just want to adjust the treble just a little bit. My Preamp is a Passive line drive. I just want some control over my bass and treble. The Mcintosh C220 preamp has bass and treble control.. does this ruin the sound?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13039

The controls on McIntosh are about as unobtrusive as you can get. However, inserting a Behringer into a Mac system is a definite step in the wrong direction IMO. The Behringer just isn't in the same class with the Mac product.

It is up to what you hear when it comes to deciding which approach to take. Modern high end audio favors a simpler is better approach. The room inserts its own sound on the system and, if you purchased decent products to begin with, it is more the room that you are hearing than the components. EQ's, even parametrics, make corrections that are quite broad in nature and inevitably do not solve room issues. Asking a parametric or graphic EQ to make "corrections" only demands more from your amplifier which leads to futrther strain on the system and higher levels of distortion. Equalization only places a BandAid on one problem while introducing several others that can be just as egregious as the original or sometimes more benign but still there.

From what you have now posted you want control over the bass, midrange and highs. What's left?

Here's my advice, forget the EQ and figure out what you either should have purchased or figure out why what you have purchased isn't working as well as you thought when you heard it in the store. You did audition this stuff, right? At the moment you sound like someone who didn't get what they hoped for and now you would prefer to reach for a hammer to beat it into shape rather than figure out how to do the job correctly.

Your choice but an EQ wouldn't be mine.

Bronze Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 77
If you want to be able make equalized tapes, connect the tape deck line in to the EQ record jacks and the tape deck line out to the EQ playback jacks.

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 399
Nos, you should try moving the speakers to different parts of the room unless the room simply doesn't allow much flexibilty as in the speakers become tripping hazards, etc. accoustic treatment should help too. If you feel forced to add an equalizer, you will want to start by reducing the midrange until it's no longer too bright. At this point, you might no longer see a need to boost the bass. If you still think you must boost the bass, a subwoofer might be the answer. It's going to be trial & error, but using your eq for boosting should be your last resort. I have a 10", 100 watt subwoofer connected to my pc and I use the speakers built into the monitor (this is a temp situation). I use the eqs in iTunes and media player to reduce the bass rather than boosting mids & highs. This along with keeping a proper (in this case very low) sub level gives the pc decent sound for listening to samples before buying or watching youtube videos.

Username: Jbeans1963

Post Number: 1
I have a sansui a-700 integrated amp, sansui t-700 tuner, sansui cassette deck d-95m,sansui turntable fr-d35 and the all work fine but how do I hook up my sansui rg-7 graphics equalizer

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18301

Two ways to choose from.

You have two tape monitor loops on the A-700.

If you want to eq tapes as you record, use the suggestion from Nency Michel found above.

If you only want to eq playback of all sources, not eq tapes as hey are recorded, insert the eq into the second tape monitor loop. Each unit sees itself as its own source which means in's go to outs and outs go to ins. In other words, tape out on the A-700 would go to in on the eq. Out on the eq would go to tape in on the amp. Engage the tape monitor when you want to have the eq in the signal path.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us