Peak vs RMS watts

Username: B3vcard

Galway, Galway Ireland

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I recently bought a cheap 2.1 soundbar on Amazon. It is a Majority Snowdon 2 with "120W of output power". I decided to strip it down for fun to see how they got to this figure. What I found was two speakers @ 10W and a subwoofer at 25W. How is 120W reached with 45W total? I also put the DAC chip into google (ESMT AD82584D) and its datasheet had no comment on peak power.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3629
Speakers don't have watts.....for a start.

And you can consider the 120 watts an 'imaginary' number, anyway.

If you are curious? Get a Kill-A-Watt meter to measure power going TO the soundbar. Certainly a fraction of that only, makes it to the speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Slavaukdemnt

Post Number: 14
Peak power is not a standard measure of power output, such as RMS power. RMS power is a more accurate and meaningful measure of the continuous power a device can deliver. Peak power, on the other hand, refers to the maximum output power that a device can achieve for a very short time, often during transient audio peaks in music or other audio content. It is not a stable or reliable indicator of the actual output power of a device. Manufacturers sometimes use peak power figures in marketing materials because they sound impressive to consumers, although they do not reflect the actual performance of the device. In your case, the 120W figure may be the result of summing the peak power of individual components, rather than representing continuous, steady power.

Username: Mia02

Post Number: 3
Peak power, on the other hand, refers to the maximum output power that a device can achieve for a very short time, often during transient audio peaks in music or other audio content. It is not a stable or reliable indicator of the actual output power of a device.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us