How to actually convert to digital..use a reciever?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 153
Whats the name for the component you use to convert analogue to digital. Is it a reciever. As you'd have guessed I know only basic stuff about DAC.
Before I realised that there was analogue and digital sound, my setup was going to be soundcard to integrated amp to 2 bookshelf speakers.
What would I use to get the sound from my soundcard to digital output on my speakers? I know I'd use the digital out on my soundcard, but where do I go from there?
Note, my setup up will be used for music 95% of the time and i definately want it to be computer based.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 667
Give me more info -
What kind of speaker is it?
Powered or not?
Does your soundcard have digital out, or analog out only?

You can connect a receiver like Onkyo TX-LR552 to your soundcard either way - digital and analog. It is a good one too at $200. Ubid has it for even less now on refurb.

If you have not done so, you can upgrade the soundcard for better sound. Depending on how good your speakers are, decide on the amount you are willing to spend.

There is a lot of info on this topic here :

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?icomp&1&ctg&0&50&

You can also chat alive on www.audioasylum.com and ask questions.

Supply more info, and you will get responses - also might want to post it on www.audiogon.com discussion forum for more replys.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 162
Thanks for the help Lee. The speakers will be unpowered so Ill need some kind of amplifier. I havn't bought my soundcard yet, Im looking at 2 the m-audio 2496 and emu0404 because they're in my price range. The speakers Im willing to pay £180 for, looking at diamond 9.1s morduant short 902s and a few others. Both the soundcards i mentioned have analog and digital out, only the m-audio has rca out. This might be better than the emus unbalanced 1/4" breakout cable. I have been advised by the retailers of these companies to get Hifi World magazine, so Ill be doing that.
I just basically wanted to know if digital was worth getting over analogue and what hassle it would involve. Im from the UK so I dont think Ill be able to get that onkyo reciever you mentioned. Another concern is if recievers are meant to output sound in surround modes etc then the sound wont be as good with an integrated amp that outputs 2 channels. 2 channels is what i want, just pure stereo sound to play music using my computer. Also to record guitar now and again. Im leaning towards the m-audio 2496 right now, Ill probs look into it more when i have a little more time!

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 781
2496 is pretty good - another good one is waveterminal u24 (US Ebay - it's small so you can have it shipped to England).
If you still want more quality, you can add a DAC to u24.

You are right about some receivers being able to convert analog to digital, but most receivers can't - needs something like u24 in the middle.

The good news is, if you copy CDs to your hard-drive with program like EAC (free on the web - google search will turn up), it will sound better than good CD player (less jitter problem).

With a good DAC addition, you can get an excellent source rivalling upscale CD player - if not better.

The best sounding play back program is Foobar (also free on the web).

Username: Donwillmonbellsouthnet

Post Number: 1
I have a pansat 2800A free to air sattelite receiver with optical audio output.I bought an "optical in to coax out" converter & used a Y RCA cabel connected to RCA cabel to connect it to a Regent 5.1 surround sound system & I don't get Nothing but very low destorted sound. Can anyone tell me what I've done Wrong & what should I do to accomplish this?

Username: Lewish

New jersey, Fl United States

Post Number: 4
Use the DAC upstream from the AVR as a decoder, connected via analog inputs of some sort. - Drop the DAC and use the AVR's internal decoders. - Get a stereo preamp or integrated amp/receiver that can do HT bypass (or that can work in that way), and connect the DAC to that, or use the DtoA abilities of that device.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us