Sansui A-505 Integrated Amp HELP!!

Username: Stingermoses

Post Number: 1
so as subject states I have the sansui A-505 Int.Amp (part of a complete component set ie...cd player,cassette,turntable,radio etc) paired to 2 sansui s750 speakers just about 30 inches tall. Only the amp and speakers are connected as the other stuff are sorta "outdated".

Amp: http://bimg1.mlstatic.com/amplificador-sansui-a-505_MLA-F-3251046203_102012.jpg

Amp2: http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/amplificador-sansui-a-505_MLA-F-3251063487_102012.jpg

Speakers: http://res2.graysonline.com/handlers/imagehandler.ashx?t=l&id=6176310&s=n&index= 0&ts=634358487647530000

so what happens is i connect the speakers to the amp and connect my xbox/phone/laptop or w.e is playing the sound to an adapter which then plugs into the amp's 'tuner left and right audio in female ports'.

My problem is Im sure Ive fried the amp (dont know how bad) but when i was younger one side produced much weaker sound so I intertwined the left and right speakers and ran them both through one side (stupid i know). It worked for a good while but fried after (makes continuous buzzing sound).

So Im looking to get a new amp to replace it. I want it just as powerful if not more but it wont have to be an integrated amp replacement (ie. it wont be used on the component set....just used to play music/watch movies through usb/aux/cd etc.

Specs of amp: Voltage-120/220/240 Volts| 50/60Hz| Power: 120 Watts|Speaker impedance 8-16ohms

Spec of 1 speaker: Max Input Power: 85 Watts| Impedance 8 ohms (they are pretty powerful believe me the room will shake when turned up half)

I didnt mention repair as I live in Jamaica and labor/parts/experts in this area is limited and probably expensive. But if you think its something I could do myself then id give it a shot. I plan to get the replacement from amazon/ebay etc. Im not an expert in sound so Id need help in choosing the appropriate amp to work for best effect. I hope my explanation was thorough enough. I really love my music and Im dying to have my sound back up and running.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17742

We often get new forum members asking for information similar to your request. The answer is always the same IMO. No, if you don't know what to look for and you have no tools to test the unit or do the repair, you don't have the skills to put your hands inside an amplifier and expect not to get electrocuted. Your Sansui amp is 35 years old and parts are increasingly difficult, if not impossible, to source for repairs. While there might be some interest in your amp as a salvage unit for parts, there's really no great value to your Sansui and it should be retired.

Regarding what to buy, you have asked a question that is impossible to answer. Buying in a far off country doesn't help and buying from eBay means you could have access to items no one has ever seen or heard before. Your question is not too far from asking us what you should have for dinner and where.

I would suggest you look for some local retailer who can provide after the sale support and an audition of the gear before you buy. Trying to get a question answered or returning a product to an online retailer can be exceptionally frustrating. Beyond that advice, there's no way to answer such an open ended question as you have posed.

Username: Stingermoses

Post Number: 2
ok i understand your first part but not the second. (for the record though im not an electrician...with proper instructions/tutorial of some sort im sure i could repair it as i am very hands on. maybe it just needs a replacement fuse or resistor or something). i thought pairing speakers to amps was somewhat a formula.... using wattage,resistance, output etc? i was simply asking for some help in pairing these speakers with the correct or closest amp. (im not asking for a specific model....im asking what i shud look for specs wise...power, wattage, etc. simply...what would be the suggested specs on the amp i would buy to properly and successfully power my speakers and to replace the current integrated one thats fried).

for eg. (trying to relate the 2 different scenarios) i want to replace my cars engine....im not asking what engine to put in by name. Im more asking which engine sizes can fit. your response could be dont get an engine with less that 500 watts of power (lol) because it wouldnt be enough to power the car(speakers) and make sure you have atleast 16 ohms resistance etc. i hope youre more able to understand the question and that I havent confused everyone else

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17743

I'm going to disappoint you again because there still isn't an answer to your question. You've said you want as much power as the Sansui had to offer. So, if that's what you want, you want to buy a 120 watt amp. The rest of the numbers don't mean anything to the performance of the amp. The maximum input wattage to a speaker is a made up number that has no real world meaning. Most speakers are blown by an amplifier with too little power to drive the speakers as loud as the user wants. The amp clips and when an amp clips hard it destroys speakers. The impedance listed is merely a nominal or average spec and doesn't represent the real world load the speaker presents to the amp. Most volume controls on most audio gear - and particularly 1970's amplifiers - are what we call "audio taper". Most of the change in an audio taper vc is achieved in the first half of rotation and the amp is likely to have reached its full clean output by about 1 to 2 O'Clock on the dial. If you've been thinking you could crank the control fully to the right and still have clean power, that's one reason you probably no longer have an operational amplifier. None of this is to say anything about your knowledge, most people don't know these things either. But they're facts and the numbers most manufacturers use for their gear simply will not tell you much about their product.

Most speakers only use a few watts to get loud. Watts, however, aren't the real story in most cases. Once you get beyond about 25 watts, buying loudness through watts get's expensive if you want to maintain quality. Doubling your wattage will only increase the available clean headroom for the amp by 3dB. That's about the point where you first notice any change in volume at all. Whether your system sounds better with a 25 watt amp or a 120 watt amp comes down to the quality of the amplifier, not the amount of watts the manufacturer claims on a test bench. So your desire for another 120 watt amp isn't a great way to go about choosing an amp. It's sort of like saying you want a car with four wheels and a trunk.

Right now I have a two watt, a seven watt and a ten watt amp in my room and they all sound very nice - giant killer nice. But you need speakers with a high electrical "sensitivity" spec to use such amps. The higher the sensitivity spec, the less wattage you'll need to get the system up to a reasonable volume level. So if I can play my system with a two watt amp, you could probably play your system with a twenty five watt amp. But, if you want really loud volume and you don't understand how volume controls and wattage and speaker sensitivities work, you'll probably blow up your system if you buy a twenty five watt amp. The answer to your second post is the numbers only tell you so much and the numbers you've posted don't tell anyone anything.

So what you might want to buy is totally wide open.

It's not that I don't want to answer your question, it's that there is no real answer to your question as you've posed it.

And "hands on" or not, if you have to ask, you don't know how to repair an amplifier. There are dangerous voltages inside the chassis and they can kill somone who goes poking around in there. If all the amp needs is a fuse, take it to a repair shop. No repair shop I know would charge anyone for just changing a fuse. If you want to know more about the amp's condition, ask the repair shop for an estimate before they do any repairs. You'll only be charged for the time it takes to troubleshoot the amp and then you can decide whether it would be worth the money to proceed with a repair. I'd say it's not when you're asking about a thirty five year old amp.

But if you asked me how to rebuild your transmission because it might only need a filter and you have no idea where the filter is on the transmission, you have no lift and you have no tools, I would also tell you that you're not in any position to do the work yourself.

The questions you've asked - including just tell me how to fix my amp - are the same questions we get all the time. Usually, the answers are always the same. You can check the archives since there are other questions about Sansui amps and other older components. If you find something intersting in the archives, I'll be glad to help you understand the post more fully. But, with the issues you've given us, I don't think there are any other real answers to give you. There are just too many options on the amp and there aren't really any options I see for you fixing the Sansui on your own.

Does that help?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us