Need Optical Audio Converter for Surround System

Bronze Member
Username: Renzo95

Post Number: 15
Ok I just recently got a Samsung HT-EM45 5.1 CH Home Theater System with Smart Blu-ray, and it has one AV output, one HDMI output, and one digital optical output. I want Digital optical output so I can hook it up to my tv and anything hooked up to my tv plays through surround right?? So I went and bought digital optical cable without thinking and then later found out my TV does NOT have digital optical, so I need a Analog to Digital Optical converter if they exist, and if not is there any other way I can get all the devices hooked up to my TV to play through surround?? PLEASE HELP, IM SO CONFUSED!!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17617

I'm unaware of an adapter which converts an analog line level output to an optical digital input. I suppose you could buy a ADC (analog to digital converter) such as this; http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lucid-88192-A-D-D-A-Converter-104497417-i1125410.gc but it seems to be a bit of overkill for your needs.

I'm not actually certain about what you've purchased. The specs claim 1000 watt output and there are speakers included. Right? So you simply hook the amplifier up to the speakers. Bingo bango; surround!

What am I missing?

http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1336/product/20713593/questions.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Renzo95

Post Number: 16
I got sound, but I have a PS3, and Xbox360, a Wii, etc.. Alot of devices and the Surround system has only one output for each type of audio, so I need optical, because I have been told that if I hook up optical from my Surround system to my TV that anything connected to my TV will play through surround, so is there any other way I could do this, my TV does have a connection labeled SPDIF, which I dont know what it does..... SO ALL I WANT is a way to connect my surround system to my TV so that anything connected to the TV will play through surround, sorry if this is a confusing question, but I don't know anything about TV audio

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17622

S/Pdif is a coaxial (uses RCA type plugs as found on a standard analog audio interconnect) digital input/output jack. It is an alternative to an optical connection and transmits identical data streams. You'll need a 75 Ohm digital cable and a similar S/Pdif inut jack on your receiver/amplifier. Optical connections are fibre optic (plastic or glass) cables which are not interchangeable with the coax digital cable.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us