Need rear for HT

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 763
I am shopping for small rear speakers for my new 5.1 HT system.
I am posting in speakers instead of HT because all I need to finish is a pair of very small rear to go with the Quad11L front and center. I got a new demo model Rotel 1056 avr and subwoofer, so am almost set up.

My front Quad 11L pair are gloss black with black sub, but the Quad L center is gloss maple. The rear could be either wood or black finish. Because of the room layout they do need to be as small as possible.

I am mostly concerned with the sound integration because I think that it is best to match the speakers, if not the same, at least same type or characteristics.

My dealer where I bought the avr, has some B&W M1 satelites which are perfect size and good quality and look, but are expensive at about $450. I have seen the small gloss black NHT which could be a cheaper substitute at half the price.

The original plan was to get 2 more Quads, but floor space is a problem because of the room layout.
I see a pair of Quad Lite HT speakers online for $275 + shipping. I wonder if they would best integrate with the Quad 11L vs the NHT or the B&W.
While there are many small satelites I could get online, my dealer has only the B&W and small, gloss black Yamaha satelites at $250, but I suspect that the NHT are better. Same price and finish look Yamaha vs NHT.

Starting list:
B&W = smallest, locally available, and most expensive (only about $150 more than the Quad-lite)
NHT = 2nd cheapest and matching finish
Yamaha = same price, size, and finish as NHT and locally available
Quad lite= 3d smallest but maybe the best sonic match

On wall won't work in this room. My dealer has in-ceiling speakers but I am not enthused about that idea for several reasons, mainly because you cant experiment and move them around. Also there is the whole issue of enclosures etc. I read a bunch of threads here on all that. He also has some surface mount ceiling speakers that would be easier but similar objections.
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eatre/M-1.html
Spkr Quad11L +cntr, Castle Severn, RogersL3/5a DynA25, Sub HSU, NHT, Velo
tuner Rotel RT990BX, RT1080, Sansui TUD99X, Lux 5T50, HK TU9200

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17296

Buy some small Paradigms.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 764
Thanks Jan.
This is the same HT that I was shopping for when we had the discussion about an avr with heft to it. I certainly got that with the big Rotel 1056.
I got the last one to be sold in this town/state, the dealer floor demo. They now only have Yamaha and Sony and B&W.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us