My sound has disappeared...

Username: Grahamstobie

Post Number: 1
Hi All

I've got a problem with my stereo - I think with my amp - and was hoping somebody could suggest a fix...

I was using my amp (NAD C370) and speakers (Mission 751) to play music from an ipod at a party yesterday...it was pretty loud, and the amp overheated and cut out a couple of times, but did start working again after cooling down for 20 minutes. However after cutting out a third time the sound has only returned at very quiet levels, and is very tinny (apologies for the lack of propert terminology...).

I hooked the amp back up to my CD player today and still have the same problem...I'm assuming the problem is with the amp rather than the speakers because the sound is the same from both speakers (i.e. very poor) - any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Thanks for your help!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2790
You could have 'opened' output transistors.
Each transistor is responsible for part of the power, so if you took out say......2 of 6 per channel, you'ld be down 1/3 or so.

Other damage is possible, but that's the first to occur to me.

I think you need a trip to a tech and tell your story.

JUST to be sure, do you have another amp with which to test the speakers?

Username: Grahamstobie

Post Number: 2
Thanks for replying. No, unfortunately I don't have a second amp to test the speakers, so a trip to a tech it is...will let you know what happens!

Thanks again

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17278

"... after cutting out a third time ..."

You're kidding. Right? You kept pushing the amp even after it said stop and, now you're wondering what's wrong?

Amplifiers are not frequency dependent. When outputs are fried, they do not become "tinny". They stop working all together. Take your speakers and your amplifier in for repair. My guess would be, if you were to push lightly on the cones of the woofers, they wouldn't move at all.

Learn to understand the signals your system is trying to give you.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us