What CD Player Should I Buy?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4934
Man, it's been a long time since I started a thread on here.

My most recent purchase (sort of on a whim) was an 840C CDP.

Since I had an 840A already, which I'm very happy with, I figured this would not only be logical choice as far as synergy goes, but on top of that, based on the multitude of glowing reviews on this product, a no brainer.

This piece has been the biggest disappointment in audio that I can remember. No matter what I did, I could not get this CDP to sound "right". Imaging was was off, soundstage was terrible, and everything just had a fake, unmusical sheen to it (by product of the non-defeatable upsampling?).

Anyway, the 840C is thankfully gone now. But now I'm left with the conundrum of what next? Pretty much everything else I'm happy with. Amp... check, speakers... check. Room... awesome. I just need a good source.

Open to suggestions here...

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15487
If you are looking at a CD player I can wholeheartedly recommend the TEAC Reference PD-H600. It's a killer deck, David. I just love this thing. Another possibility is the Audiolab CD player (with a DAC).

What type of source are ypu looking for, David?

BTW I will have the Apollo-R home in a couple of weeks as it is due in next week but I won't be able to make it to Portland until the weekend after next.

It may be different than the TEAC but I don't think there is a way in he!! that it will beat it...just sayin'!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4935
Hey Art. How much does the Teac go for? This is something that has never been on my radar.

As for a source, I'm still leaning towards a CDP solution as opposed to a DAC/PC. But I could be convinced otherwise.

I have a dealer locally that sells Rega stuff so getting that is an option.

Normally, I don't mind buying used, but because of the mechanical nature of CD players, I'm wary.

The Audiolab 8200 is on my short list.....

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15490
The TEAC can be had for $699 U.S. or less. It was a TAS Golden Ear award winner and with good reason. It stomps the CA 650C and the NAD C545. It is to me clearly a cut above the original Apollo as well. Probably somewhere between the Apollo and Saturn in performance but with a different sound than both. In a way it sounds more musically correct than either. That Audiolab certainly is interesting as well.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4936
To me, the 650C was a lot more engaging and balanced sounding than the 840C. For what my opinion is worth.

The 8200CD is interesting in that it utilizes the ESS Sabre DAC, like a lot of products these days. I had the W4S DAC-1 briefly last year (same chip) and it was really quite good.

The Oppo BD-95 is another option, as it uses the ESS DAC too. But I guess it's all about design and architecture though.

This is an interesting option too:

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Yulong-Sabre-D-18-Reference-32-bit-D-A-Converter.h tml

if one is not adverse to Chi-fi.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15491
The 650C is a good deck and especially for the price I wound up getting it for (try $399 U.S.). My wife now has it.

Ian Grant is a great guy and so on but I simply couldn't feel any pride of ownership with his stuff. I won't go into it but I'm going to abstain from buying any of his products for the time being.

You're in a tough spot in that you ave tried a lot of flavors and some you like and some you don't. At this point everything is simply going to be variations on a theme. I say find a good CD player and settle into some music for awhile. If you still have it, listen to your 650C for awhile and reacquaint yourself with what you feel is missing so you can get your bearings and set off in a more focused direction.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15492
Chi-Fi...lol! I missed it the first time...that's not the reason I'm avoiding GF.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4937
Have you dealt with GF in the past Art?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15494
No I haven't, but the folks I know who have bought from him, like him. That's why I said that he seems like a good sort. Once you start rebadging Chinese gear which is often a rip off of a western design to start with you kind of have a triple whammy of reasons that I simply couldn't have any pride of ownership. It's a personal thing and has nothing to do with Ian at all. I certainly understand why folks buy from him. I may change my mind sometime in the future.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4938
Fair 'nuff.

I've always had beyond satisfactory customer service from them.

But the resale value on Chi-fi in general is brutal.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4550
I'm sure you know I'm very happy with my Rega DAC. Try to get one from your local Rega guy. It may scratch you right where you itch.

Been waiting to use that line. Courtesy of Kramer from the Festivus episode.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15495
LOL! I do love that episode...

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1190
It's surprising about the 840C, Dave. Like you said, it might be the upsampling. What little upsampling I've heard I didn't like, but you'd figure on a $1,500 player it would be implemented well - maybe it's tough to make upsampling sound natural. They should have made it defeatable for that price though.

Simaudio is another possibility. My Sim player is a pleasure to use and is very clear and natural without being edgy. Sim also has an upgrade program (upgrade to another Sim player within a year and get full value for your player). At least I assume this program is still in place.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4939
I'm not a fan of upsampling either Dan. Maybe it was part of the problem. I remember when I had my Bryston DAC, I really hated the upsampling feature on that too, but at least that could be turned off.

Been curious about the Rega DAC for a long time now. Maybe it's time to try one out.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15496
It would be interesting to read your thoughts about the Rega DAC after owning the Bryston.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4940
I think the Rega and Bryston DACs would be polar opposites. The Bryston imparted no flavour unto the music. It basically just faithfully spits the bits out at you. It was not a very musical piece of gear of either.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4941
I've got a "possible" on a Creek Destiny CDP. If I recall, you were a fan of this piece, were you not Art?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15497
I like the sound of the Creek Destiny pieces, especially together as part of a Creek system. With your CA, I'm not sure. It would be a piece that would certainly interest me. Especially if it is the most recent one.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15498
BTW, all gear imparts a flavor. I think some folks have mistaken the Bryston sound as dead neutral. Make no mistake, it is not. There is no such thing. When you say that it was not very musical that's the first clue that it's not dead neutral. Music is...well...musical.

I know you didn't say that the Bryston DAC is neutral but it something that we all hear often about Bryston. The lack of musicality and listenability has always been my gripe with Bryston, and CA for that matter.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Post Number: 3132
So I see you guys are still playing musical components heh, heh!
I recently read through a couple of threads in old Ecoustics here only to find you guys are having trouble settling on one flavour!. Well, I can't talk, it took me a few changes before finding a kit I've happily settled with - yep, the Quads, the Xindak amps, Rogue pre and of course, the Saturn - haven't changed a thing. Just love it - the music just keeps on!

With my music upgraditis well and truly cured, I now spend all my dough on photography which has become a bit of an obsession. Anyway, hi to you all, hope all is well - and guys - get it right will ya

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1518
David, if you want something to listen to that's a little different while you contemplate what to do next, you're welcome to borrow my Minimax. I'd be happy to ship it off to you.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4942
Hey M.R. Long time no see.

Thanks for the kind offer Chris. I just bought an Audiolab 8200CD yesterday (should be here before the weekend hopefully). So hopefully I'm good for awhile now.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15499
Good to see you, MR!

Looking forward to reading your impressions of the Audiolab, David!

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1191
Looking forward to hearing about the 8200CD as well, David. If I was buying a player now it would definitely be on my short list.

Long time, MR. Hope all is well (sounds like it is). I will say in response to your post that part of the fun in this hobby is in the journey and not the destination, especially in discovering different approaches to equipment design that one has never heard before.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4945
I think the 8200 is the best of both worlds Dan. Audiolab describes it as a DAC with an onboard CD player, lol. Lots of flexibility there, and it utilizes the ESS Sabre DAC, which I'm a fan of.

Username: Makeadifference

Hereford, Herefordshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 2
My old Arcam cd player gave up the ghost after 10 faithful years, I booked a demo of machines in the 400GBP proce range and preferred the Marantz CD6005 for its sound quality and build, together with fair price - very happy http://www.hifigear.co.uk/marantz-6005-cd-player.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us