Wanting a reciever to play my phonograph but have a few questions.

Username: Christurnerrr

Post Number: 1
Alright bear with me because I'm really new to all of this. I'd always wanted a record player because I thought the idea of having my music on vinyl was awesome. Anyways, my girlfriend bought me a relatively cheap Crosley player and its fine and all, but the speakers are trash, really. So for when I move to college I want to hook it up to a receiver and have some bookshelf speakers just for quality purposes. When I plug it into any other input (video 1, etc) it sounds just fine. However, both receivers in my house have a phono input, but anytime I plug anything into it (whether it be my iPod or the record player, it's really loud and just sounds like crap. Very muffled noise. Can this be fixed by a basic preamp, or is it just a crappy player? I just need a simple solution. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17256

Crosley markets several different models of tables. Which model do you have? Or, does the turntable have any provisions for getting signal to a receiver? Does it have a pair of "phono out" jacks on the back panel?

Post Number: 2
http://www.nostalgiafactoryoutlet.com/%5Cnostalgia%5Cproducts%5CCR6005A-MA.asp

This is the one I have. Yes it has two audio out jacks on the back. I really know nothing about my player :p like cartridge etc (if it even has one?)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17257

That link goes to nothing that would show me a model number.

Here's the Crosley main page, pick a table; http://www.crosleyradio.com/Turntables.aspx There should be a model number on the table you own. Look on the back panel if nothing is marked on the table itself.

How are the jacks on your table marked? Input? Output?

Post Number: 3
Crosley CR6005A. Theyre labeled "line out"

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17263

OK, it would appear the turnable has a phono pre amp built in. Your receivers also appear to have phono pre amps installed. Therefore, you do not want to double up on the phono pre amps. Just plug your turntable directly into a "line level" input - AUX, TAPE, CD, etc. The problems you describe have nothing to do with the quality of the tunrtable and everything to do with too many phono pre amps being involved.

Post Number: 4
oh alright awesome. Thank you!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help