More new DACs - Audiolab, Exposure, Arcam

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1180
Here are a few new DACs that haven't been discussed here that much (or at all):

Audiolab MDAC: http://audiolab.co.uk/M-DAC%20Series.aspx?lang=En
Exposure 2010s2 DAC: http://www.exposurehifi.com/2010s2-dac.html
Arcam D33: http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2012-arcam-to-launch-%C2%A32000-fmj-d33-dac

The Arcam is super pricey, clocking in at £2000! It's interesting to see Arcam go that much upmarket. I don't recall ever seeing that from them before, but then again it's not like I follow the company's offerings closely.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15321
That Audiolab looks pretty exciting.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4542
They all look very interesting. I haven't heard Audiolab stuff, but it's very popular outside the US. I have no idea why there's no distributor here.

I wonder what the other r-series components Arcam debuted.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4543
Forgot to mention that I think it's great that more and more hifi companies are taking DACs and computer audio seriously. Hopefully they've realized it's not some fad that's going to fizzle out.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1181
I didn't realize that Audiolab was still without a U.S. distributor. With the buzz their new stuff is getting you'd think someone would want to pick up the line. Here in Canada Planet of Sound got them, it may have been a year ago. They scooped Audiolab up quickly once they were dropped by the old distributor.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3680
They all look great. I wonder if the Exposure will be as loved as its 2010 amp/sidekick has been. Giving your current setup Dan, will it be on your short list to try in the near future?

Stu- I agree. Its great to see. Bye bye CD Players. Eventually.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4926
The Audiolab is selling faster than they can stock them at the dealer here in town.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4545
I'm not all about the CD player going away. Everyone likes what they like. I'm just glad hifi companies are starting to see that they're idiots if they don't get into the DAC market. Too much old-school thinking in hifi manufacturers IMO. They need to do something to bring in our demographic. DACs aren't the sole answer by any means, but at least its a step in the general direction.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1183
Planet of Sound, Dave? They opened a location in downtown Toronto. I will probably drop by one day for a look.

I doubt I'll buy the Exposure DAC, Nick. Well, I guess you never know long-term, but there are too many balls in the air right now. I really dig the Sim CD player I have, and think it's a great match with the 2010s2. Plus I still have to compare that pairing to the Naim setup I'm going to try later this year. Once I sell my Anthem 225 I will pick up a Nait 5i to go with my CD5X. Then one pair of boxes will stay and one pair will go. If the Anthem sells quick I guess I could conceivably have the Naim amp in short order. Right now my PMC's are breaking in nicely and sound excellent. However, I am still evaluating them to determine if they are a long term hold. I'll be glad once this is all sorted out!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4932
Hey Dan, yeah Planet of Sound here in Ottawa. Unfortunately for them, Planet of Sound abbreviates to POS, which is of course no reflection on their establishment.

They actually carry the most esoteric collection of gear in the city, and thankfully don't cater at all to the HT market. 2 channel, only.

I haven't been to their T.O., but I'd recommend dropping in based on my visits to the Ottawa store.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2737
Any of the new DACs with multiple inputs ala DACMagic?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us