A/V for mainly listening to music.

Bronze Member
Username: Diggytooth8

Post Number: 15
My budget is up to $600. My main goal is a A/V receiver for good music rendition, though I will watch movies in 7.1 as well. Don't need alot else. I have Kilpsch RF 62's. These are the models I am looking at:

Marantz 6005.
Onkyo TX-SR578.
Yamaha RX-V571.
Sony STR-DA5300ES

Any advice?
Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I will be buying the Marantz 6005. It will be replacing my
old JVCRX-DP9VBK. I think I will run a couple cables pre out to another integrate amp I have then on to the mains for listenong to music. My question is will I still be able to listen to the mains when watching movies? I think everything will be the same except I will have another volume level to watch.
Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1752
The Marantz is a multizone receiver? If so, one person can watch a movie in the theater room using the receiver's main zone while someone else listens to music in another room. Is this what you plan to do?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
From what I can tell all the receivers in this price range have very similar features. I don't need 70% of what any of them offer. Just want it sound decent for 5.1. I will sub out to a pre amp at some point. For listening to music.

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16817

I think the answer you're looking for is in regards to the pre out feed. If you disconnect any pre outs which would run to the (main in) amplifier channels of the receiver, the receiver cannot use those allocated (but not connected) channels. If the pre outs feed to a separate amplifier, that amplifier will be what drives the speakers any time the system is in use. So, if I understand your post correctly, you will be able to use the front mains when watching multi-channel movies and when listening to two channel music.

There are IMO two issues to consider. First, in the connection you propose the quality of music will still be limitied by the quality of the pre amp in the AV receiver (which in most cases is fairly mediocre). A second, discrete system for music only would be the appropriate way to avoid this issue. Second, virtually all multi-channel systems today will automatically take a two channel source (CD, FM, etc.) and process it to play in a multi-channel configuration. You'll have to manually reset the DSP modes of the receiver to hear just a two channel playback. You'll need to do this every time you use a two channel only source.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Perfect, that's what thought. I think I know your views on systems for listening to music and TV. Having said that I will be purchasing a Peach tree Audio Nova amp with the HT bypass function.
Thanks Jan, for all your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us