Thankyou and goodbye.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 479
About a year ago my wife and I decided to upgrade our aging and mediocre a/v equipment. Wanting a level of quality that was a lot more than we could really afford we had to do it bit by bit and, by much research and auditioning, we have now completed this task and the result has been well worth the efforts and the waiting. In fact - outstanding!

Back then, I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this forum where many good people have shared their views and offered opinions which has helped our task enormously. I have learnt so much and had a lot of fun with many interesting individuals.

Unfortunately, whether it's just my style or that I have no idea of how to express humour, it seems that I have rubbed a couple of people the wrong way so much so that it has even drawn some vile innuendo. My intentions were never to offend but it seems that I have indeed overstepped some mark and ruffled a few feathers.

So,I believe it's time to move on, get back to life and enjoy the music at every opportunity. Thank you to the many who have offered their insights and valuable assistance.

My parting words: it's not how much you know - it's how much you enjoy!

Cheers

My Rantz

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1870
My Rantz,

I have enjoyed every exchange with you, and thank you warmly, as before, for your wit and wisdom. I was hoping it would long continue.

If you can take a moment to be more specific, I shall be extremely grateful.

I ask partly out of curiosity and a hope of changing your mind, but also because I am concerned at the possibility that I have made remarks that you have taken as the "vile innuendo". I shall post on the thread that concerns me, referring back to this one.

If any remarks of mine are the cause of your decision, please accept my apologies. I state plainly, here, that nothing has ever been further from my intention.

If, however, I am not involved in the issue to which you refer, please, nevertheless, let me know where it is located. In either case, a direct off-line message or e-mail would be more than acceptable, and greatly appreciated.

To my knowledge you have only friends on this forum. You have earned this. I was pleased to consider myself one of them. Please reconsider your decision.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Same here, Rantz.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 349
Ditto, Rantz.

I have always known you to be a gentleman of wit, humor, and humility. If you think you have offended, then I definitely missed something, and know it was not your intent. I wish you would reconsider your decision.

I am for now, one sad "old dog", but shall always remain your "forum friend".

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 286
M.R.-

I've always found your posts good-natured and given in the best spirit. It's hard to believe that any of them would have rubbed anyone in the wrong way. I share John A.'s sentiments. You've certainly been a welcome contributor to this forum as far as a lot of us are concerned.

If you'll be spending more time listening to Neil Young and the rest of your music, drinking your fine Aussie wine and beer, and taking walks with Mrs. Rantz, then more power to you. But I would hope that you still look in once in a while and contribute to this forum.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 972
dude you can't leave i'll have to start pissing
off someone else.

d.a.m. you get back hear you australion wussie.

i nead my teammate to gang up on john from time
to time when he gets out of line.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 973
seriuosly rantz i dought if you uppset anyone in
the "clan" so to speak.

i know i have and i'm still hear.

i've got my enamies on this board but it's not
anyone from the clan.

and i'm still hangin on.

yes hopefully you reconsider or at least just nead
to do more of lifes important things but still say
hi now and then.

buddy,pal,friend and even bloak or mate.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 974
now look what you did yu made me cry.

you dam australlions.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 350
Rantz,

Now look what you have done. You made Kegger cry!
Kegger, be strong son, cowboy up a little. It will be ok. Rantz, I need you to help me keep these loonies,I mean friends, on the path. I can't do it alone man. I'm out of breath, I just ran back from the pharmacy for that medication, I mean vitamins, for the Ranger and Tonto. Do you think this is easy?????????

Come on.....I doing my best material here!

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 351
......TOUGH ROOM.............

The Last Rantz
Unregistered guest
John A

Nothing you have done, stated or infered has ever caused me concern - far from it, my friend. So please rest easy.

Friends,

Your humor (humour) is well applied as usual and your sentiments are really touching and very much appreciated. You may think I'm a bit thin skinned, but that is far from the truth. If I dish it out, I expect to take it also - no problems there at all. Except when it exceeds the bounds of common decency.

My quitting this forum is not all about one silly piece of sick innuendo from someone from whom I would expect much better (though it was, I believe, the final catalyst), but it is also due to the fact that I find myself losing too much time here. Since most of my work time is done over this keyboard, I really do have to spend some time doing other things for I fear I might become part of the machine. I work odd hours and often suffer from insomnia causing me, on occassions, to not quite see what I might be typing and thus find my words getting up someone's nose.

Besides, I can no longer reside in strange, dark places where I have to keep looking over my shoulder to ensure I am not about to be reared upon by some camp, crazed, long dead, old Hollywood nag!

You're a great bunch (most of you) and I may just pop in from time to time and possibly chime in if I've got something useful to add.

M.R.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 976
well rantz i for one will truly miss you.

1 less member of the possie. not cool.

but you do what you need to do to right yourself
well be right hear when you chime back in from
time to time.

see yu:buddy,pal,friend and even bloak or mate.
we'd surely like to know the culprit of the final
straw. at least so we can be on the lookout dealing
with this person.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1873
MR,

Kegger writes for me, too. They all do.

Thanks for explaining it was not what I thought.

Hey, apart from anything else, you can't leave us with all those riddles to solve...! Some of the humour gets a bit beyond the edge of good taste, and I can still imagine one or two recent comments of my own causing offence. Apologies, if that is so.

I think I broadly understand, though, and am somewhat in the same position. I value the friendship here; try to help complete strangers (I sometimes can, you often do, that is a pleasure); try to prevent misunderstandings between people (ditto, though I cause some, too): then discover I have spent precious hours, often on the "death watch". Because of time zones, one man's insomnia time is some else's time out, at work, and another's legit recreational surfing. It is a strange business, and it is creepy that it is so addictive.

All I will say is there are some really good guys here, and I have learned loads from them, also from the not-so-good. As Kegger has said, where else do you find honest views from so many different backgrounds, countries, and walks of life? I also think we get down to some important and serious problems from time to time, and I come out thinking I've seen things in a new light.

Just pop in from time to time, if you can. Please. Also, under your welcome and familiar "My Rantz", if you can. That last post is the real MR, I am sure of it. But identity "theft" is a big problem on the internet, and hit this forum hard last fall (autumn), before admin changed things so people could register.

By the way, that sounds like a great system you have, now. Please understand my concern at the prospect of so many unresolved questions. Like the reaction of the "audiophile" Adelaidian (where they have good whines...) who does not expect too much from a Denon 5900

All the best. Whatever you decide. Really.

John

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 352
MR

Live life, laugh often, and enjoy the music!

Bronze Member
Username: Wryter

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 85
My Rantz:
Sir, I hope that you, at some point, access this thread, though you choose not to participate. I, for one, will miss your presence, and your comments. I thank you for your personal postings to me re the Sydney Opera House, and about your vast country.
You are not alone in your distaste of some people on these Online forums. I, too, have suffered personal attacks so severe on another forum group that I deleted my name from their message board. There is no room for personal attack on an open forum - it speaks more to the attacker than the victim.
I am shocked that you received rough treatment from the group with which I correspond on eCoustics.com - and I hope that in no way - NO WAY - were any of my comments (sometimes tongue-in-cheek) taken as insulting.
Sorry to see you go - and please come back when or if your schedule and state of mind allows it. Respectfully, Larry R.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 192
M.R. (if you're still reading),

I've been away a few days and only now have come to read about your abrupt departure. My sincerest apologies if anything I've written in the past has added fuel to your exodus.

I've come to enjoy your mix of knowledge, opinion, musical inclination, and humor, (even your taste in beer).

We all need time to reassess our priorities and evaluate how we spend what little time we have here. It is my hope that we speak again. Be well.

Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 174
My Rantz:
Let my offer my heartfelt apology if anything I said offended you. Your voice has been welcome, and always intelligent and illuminating. But I understand if there's a need to realign your time. Sometimes, I wonder whether I spend more time on this site than is reasonable, in view of my other interests and responsibilties. That said, I can only echo Sem's comments above word-for-word.

Please don't cut the cord completely. Come back once in a while. But if you don't, that's OK. After all, even John A. tried to escape recently. But the big white ball popped out of the bay and squashed both him and his escape plan.

Peace.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
John A. is #7?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
John A. is # 7?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1878
Sem said it for me, too, word for word.

I do hope no-one gets around to counting numbers of words posted. It seems to me the number of posts rating is all wrong. 1-10 should be gold. 11-100, silver. 101-1000, lead. After that...

If MR were blunt and abusive, which is impossible, he might have written "get a life", I guess.

Thanks for "The Prisoner" link, JOHN. I take the point.

Bronze Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 83
My Rantz,

A belated farewell from me as well. I also find the time consumed to sometimes be in excess of what my priorities demand. I hope that you can find a way to adjust your expectations and at least keep monitoring what is happening here. Thank you for your contribution and even correction of my opinions that may have been slightly off-kilter. Internet communities, I guess, can be difficult to maintain. But at least we know there is one more person out there whom we respect.

goldenarrow

Bronze Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 98
Goldenarrow:
Finely tuned, my friend. Were I still teaching creative writing seminars I'd give you a high mark, indeed. I hope My Rantz takes time out from his high-priority duties to scan it.
To both of you: Courage! Larry R.

Anonymous

MR,

I'll miss you, too! You make good points about getting deep into forums and spending what can become an inordinate amount of time on them. I've cut back a little myself, recently.

Best wishes to you and, hopefully, we haven't heard the last from you. Enjoy your system!

Take care,
Ghia

Bronze Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 86
Larry R.,

Thanks, wish I could make a living from creative writing. However, the world has moved on to "sound bite management" read by, as you have stated somewhere, "Latinas with nice hair" or some such comment. And thanks for the encouragement, it is very hard not to be cynical.

In some tangential way, maybe that is what My Rantz was complaining about. It takes a LOT of energy to create an atmosphere conducive to lifting up people without getting involved in "mud-slinging" in such an open forum. It would take pages to unpack what I meant in that one paragraph to MR.

goldenarrow
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1902
goldenarrow,

I think I understood the points you made in the paragraph to MR. I agree completely. "Sound bites" are about all one can do on an internet forum, unfortunately. I get the distinct feeling I cannot keep up, myself, not without posting here full time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1907
My Rantz,

PLEASE read J. Vigne, Teaching an old dog new tricks.. Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:19 am.

All others here, too. It is addressed to Larry, but it brilliantly presents many people's thoughts, I am sure. Certainly mine, and concerning this thread.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 371
Ditto, JohnA.

I think we may be a little more off the wall lately, to hide our sadness, of the exodus of our friend MR. Laughter can be a wonderful therapy. We miss you Rantz, and your sense of humor.

Username: Awedio

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 9
Im a new member here but i just want to say that its refreshing to see a respectable group of people. i havent had much experience on other forums, but the only thing i have ever noticed with most forums are flames and then it just gets messy. So keep up the good work, and hopefully we can all enjoy a long time as forum friends.

i

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 204
Welcome Ian.

You're right. Fortunately the flames are few and far between here. And even when they do occasionally get fanned, ignoring them seems to work best at putting them out rather quickly.

I think we should start a new tradition here. New guys have to step up and buy a round of drinks. I think I fancy a pint of Corsondonk this afternoon. :-)

Post Number: 1
Friends

Just taking a moment to say thank you for all your very kind words. Ian Mackinder uses the term "respectable group of people" well, I think that is an understatement and the great friendship shown here has really hit home.

In hindsight, my decision to actually quit altogether may have been a bit hasty. I may have taken some comments a little too seriously and we'll leave it at that, except that my only excuse is the fact that I have quit smoking after more than thirty years at around thirty a day. I believe smokers are a much happier group of people than ex-smokers. But it is a done deal no matter how edgy it might make me feel - apart from the cost to health, there is also the cost to the hip pocket. At least I may be able to recoup some of the A/V replacement costs!

I really do need to use time spent here doing other things, but I cannot escape the fact that I must make some time for some banter with my good friends here from time to time. Really, how could I not?

So again, thank you all so much, I will be around to annoy you some more, albeit less frequently.

BTW - As I was sprung by our astute friend Kegger, I'll admit to the identities of Counter Arrogance Committee and the Phantom, but Holmes, Watson and Moriarty are the alter egos of other MPD sufferers herein.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

ALL together now -
YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1077
GOOD TO HEAR YU RANTZ I'LL LEAVE IT AT THAT.

no need to pour on the enthusieasm as you allready
know how we feel.

and post as little or as much as you need to buddy.

we understand.

take care and god bless!

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 381
OH HAPPY DAY.....RANTZ IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Bartender, a round for all the boys on me........

ps- after 38 years of smoking, I have been smoke free now for 16 months. Not easy my friend, but it will get better. I have never felt better!
Cheers!

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 156
My Rantz:
Know your pain with withdrawal, my friend! I never smoked, but I was once addicted to Valium, and a friendly doctor finally weaned me off the stuff - a pill at a time. It was very, very stressful, and I look back on that time with great pain of remembrance. So - there are a lot of us here who are really "with you," my friend. Don't give up. Do as I did and take it a day at a time - you'll be much better for it within a few short months. Being an "addict" is NO fun! Oh, I thought it was great, feeling no pain throughout the day - but in the end I either had to quit or destroy my life.
Smoking is more than just a "habit." It is a way of life - and one that creeps up on you, grabs you, and harnessed you to a debilitating disease. Courage, my friend! You WILL win!
And I'm so glad just to "hear" your voice once again. Amerika needs input from Australia! Remember that! OK? Respectfully - Larry R.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1922
My Rantz,

Just wonderful. Welcome!

MPD.....?

Ian,

Now look what you've done.....!

Thanks for those kind words, though. This forum nearly imploded about last November. Admin actually had to delete whole threads, since they had become deeply offensive. Enabling people to register had a beneficial effect. That prevented imposters defaming people by assuming their identities.

For me, the good friendship is currently clustered here on such threads as "Teaching an Old Dog new tricks...." and "The twilight of the CD....?" amongst others. I am concerned they must seem a bit cliquey to new-comers, but see no way around that. The pulling of legs is part of the game. Any thread with My Rantz posting is likely to be a pleasure to read.

Larry,

I grant you that America's need may be greater than most (smiley), but the whole World needs input from Australia! The more, the better, in my opinion.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 205
Welcome Rantz. Very good to read your words again. Best of luck kicking the butts. As Rick says it won't be easy, but it will indeed be worth it.

Post Number: 3
"MPD.....?" - Multiple Personality Disorder

"Here we all are sitting in a rainbow -da dum de da da dum de dah . . ."

Stop it! Get Rantz.

What? Why?

He's on!

On what?

On this thread - just do it, jeez!

What's up?

Speak to your friends, Rantz!

Oh, Ah . . . okay.

Thanks all really. Glad to be here again. I wasn't looking for sympathy re: the giving up smoking. I was just hoping you'd send me a pack.

Seriously, it IS hard though. Almost two months now and this last week or so has been the most difficult. My wife has quit also (my main motivation) and we suffer together. No patches gums or wussy props, just cold turkey - why put nicotine in your system when you're giving up the smokes? Anyhow, it's only hard when we think about it.

Damn it, I'm thinking about it. Rick - actually, it 38 yrs for me also. I didn't do the maths - I started (secretly of course) at fourteen. An idiot?

.....YEP.......

Anyhow, thanks for the encouragement.

Friends - to all of you, thank you again for making me feel welcome here. That's what made me reconsider things. If I could invite you all here for a barbeque there would be only one word that would be truly significent and grossly important when you arrived - it's actually an ancient aboriganal word:

DIDJABRINGYABEERALONG

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1085
rantz i see you like my new symbol.

any new music lately?

DIDJABRINGYABEERALONG i think you know the answer to that one!

gu day mate?

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 160
My Rantz - just curious -
what day and time is it there? Here, it is 1:22 a.m. - Friday. Thanx - Larry R.

Post Number: 5
Larry

At the stroke the Eastern Standard Time in Australia will be : 3.50pm Friday, August 6th.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1929
About DIDJABRINGYABEERALONG I remember the journalists at the Sydney Olympics were each given a promotional eskie to keep their tinnies in at the barbie.

Larry, there is an easier way:-

http://www.arachnoid.com/lutusp/worldclock.html
http://www.worldtimezone.com/

lots more of those out there.

Must go. I am not dodging the spikes!

Post Number: 7
Kegger

I'm expecting 2 new DVD-A's in Monday's mail - R.E.M - a best of - and Riding With The King - Clapton and BB King. Both are supposed to be very well recorded.

The Captain and Me (The Doobies)is turning into one of my favorites - great recording.

Yeah, I plagerized your symbol - it was just right. Don't sue - I've got no money left!

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 161
My Rantz - THANK YOU!
Not shouting, just very glad for your info - and for the world clock sites. At one time in my checkered career I had a neat-oh illuminated world time clock display on my office wall - but movers destroyed it about 15 years ago. Like so many things - after 53 moves in my life (counting growing up as an Army brat) I find that movers have either wrecked or stolen about 6-thousand pounds of my life! G R I N
Now - I hope that we can either get off this thread or re-name it - you're back, and I really hate goodbyes! Feelin' better already!! Larry R.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanx Larry

BTW - the clock sites were courtesy of John A. I thought asking the time here might have been a security check to see if I am really me. I had cancelled and re-registered my membership hence my low post numbers. Cheers!

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 164
My Rantz - well, then, thanks to both you and John A. who, from what I read, may be leading a charge to get you "upgraded" in number of posts? Leaving that up to him - but I hope so.
Respectfully, Larry R. (no security check!GRIN)

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 24
My Rantz,

Glad to hear you're back. I've read many of your witty, informative posts (and John A.'s equally clever rejoinders and repartees).

I haven't logged on in ages, but I did so tonight. This "goodbye" thread certainly caught my eye. I'm only too glad that it had a happy ending. This forum is addictive, and yes, Ian Mackinder, it is indeed a "respectable group of people" as you put it. I'm proud to be part of it., albeit an insignificant one.

John A., I hope you and Lim have overcome your troubles with your respective DVD-A's that wouldn't play. BTW, it's 9:54 Eastern Time here in Ontario, Canada, in case you're wondering.

Cheers!
Don

P.S. No intent to veer from the topic or spoil this thread, but I'm searching for the title and composer of a theme that has haunted me for over twenty years. I wrote the notation and the chords in the hope that someone might be able to identify it:
Unknown theme

If you would kindly pass on the link to your musical friends, I'd be most grateful. I also posted this message in another more music-oriented forum. I apologize if I have spoiled the thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
Don,

Thank you for your very kind words. It's people like yourself, Ian and all the usual suspects that make this forum (as you say) addictive. A great bunch indeed.

Sorry I can't help with the unknown theme (I'd have to hear it to have any chance), but my bet is that John A will solve the mystery for you when he gets the chance.

Regards M.R.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1979
Ojophile, Don,

That does not at all spoil the thread. Quite on the contrary. And 24 great and interesting posts do not add up to an insignificant part of the forum, not in any way, in my opinion. Quality, not quantity.

I do not recognise the theme. I will try it out at home and see if anyone else does. What a beautiful FROG. I'll bet almost anything sounds good on that baby grand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1980
MR,

My post crossed yours. Yes, "round up the usual suspects".

Either you have made 500 posts since Aug 06, in which case you are deeply back into the habit, or else (more likely), admin has restored you total. Excellent!

Ojophile,

There is a newer thread "Discoveries", under "Music", if you have not seen it. "Teaching an old dog new tricks..." seems to have reached an amicable stalemate on the question of surround sound, but has much else of interest. I, for one, have learned many things there in recent weeks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 514
John A

Yes, Admin was kind to me - but will another 500 make me more attractive? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2033
Ojophile,

Have tried "unknown theme" and Mrs A and I agree it is somehow famliar but cannot place it. It sounds a bit like Johnny Mercer and starts like his "Autumn Leaves" but it is not that.

I tried Melody Hound but nothing I recognised came up. I may have entered the code incorrectly. Give it a try!

http://melodyhound.com/

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 268
MR,

Just got caught up on this thread. Congratulations on quitting smoking cold turkey! You too Rick! That's one of the hardest addictions to kick and to do it without crutches takes even more courage. My mother did this many years ago and I recall mornings where she would literally be crying and shaking because of the cravings. But, she did it and has been smoke-free for at least 20 years. Best of luck to you and Mrs. MR in your continued success!

Ojo,

You may have missed it but I posted in your other thread. I believe the song you are seeking may be "Turn Around" composed by Harry Belafonte and Malveirn Reynolds. There's a link to a midi file there so you can listen and see if that is it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
Ghia,

Thanks so much - not one cigarette since we made the decision to give up. And you are quite right - it is not easy - still! But, we made the committment.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1290
RANTZ I THOUGHT WE GOT RID OF YOU!

SSHHEEEEEEZZ!

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 39
My Rantz,

My wife and I quit smoking cold turkey, too, 15 years ago. Best d*mn decision we've ever made.

I did smoke again, once, about 5 years ago when a friend who had been to Cuba, brought home a box of expensive cigars. I lit up one but snuffed it after a few puffs. That was it.

Have to keep your hands busy, though ;-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
Kegger - you wish:-)

Ojo'

Congrats to you both also! Yes, the hands are the problem. But cold turkey, IMO, is the only way. I do not understand putting nicotine (by way of gum, patches or other methods) in one's body when one is trying to give it up. It seems to be profiteering from people's misery to me!

And it can be misery!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us