Canton Plus E

Username: Triple_p

Post Number: 1
Hey all,
I was just given an Canton Plus E subwoofer. I don't know much about Canton speakers so I tried to find an owners manual online but everything is in german. On the back of the sub, there are 4 sets of terminals... 2 sets are marked amplifier (1 positive and 1 negative per set) seemingly for a left channel and a right channel..... then above that are 2 sets of terminals marked "Sattelite" (again 1 positive and one negative per set) again seemingly for a left channel and a right channel.

My question is.... am i supposed to hook up a 2 channel amp to the aplifier terminals, and then hook up a pair of speakers to the sattelite terminals?

If so, is there a crossover of some type inside the enclosure?

Sorry for the drawn out explination of the back..just wanted to cover all the bases.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16384

Not much information on the web about your sub. It appears this is a passive subwoofer which requires and external amplifier. That would mean you really should be running this sub from a system with crossovers in the processing circuitry of the system. Normally, this would be a surround type home theater receiver. Does the Canton have a plate amplifier attached to it? Or, is this a totally passive sub meant to run from an external amplifier source?

Assuming this is a completely passive sub, the hook up is from the amp to the sub and from the sub to the front speakers. Now, it's possible Canton has installed a passive crossover in the sub and the division of frequencies will be performed in that crossover.

If this is a totally passive sub which has no built in amplifier, give the sub a try with only the sub connected to your amp. If you're running from a HT receiver, set your switches to the "no sub" position. This should feed a full range signal to the Canton. If you hear clear vocals coming from the sub, there isn't a crossover in the sub or the internal crosover is set to operate at such a high crossover frequency the sub is only well suited to use with its accompanying satellite speakers. If you get only bass from the sub in this set up, then connect your front main speakers to the connections on the sub and give a listen. Do this ony if the sub is totally passive.

Not knowing what receiver you intend to use with this sub or whether the Canton is active or passive in amplification, I can't give any more information about hook up. You might do best running the sub from the receiver with the "no sub" switching in place. You might perfer to run the sub from the LFE output of your receiver and use the Canton's plate amp. You might do better running from the internal crossovers in your receiver. Or you might do better running full range from your receiver and connecting both the sub and the front speakers directly to the amplifier. When you don't provide enough information in your post, no one here can give you accurate responses.

Your best bet is to contact Canton or a Canton dealer for more direct advice. Or go back to where you "acquired" this sub and get the owner's manual.

Username: Triple_p

Post Number: 2
Hey,
It appears to be completely passive. The only connections on it are the 2 sets of amplifier in (2 + and 2 -) and the 2 sets of sattelite outs (2 + and 2 -)

I was planning on runing it off an old kenwood receiver. It is a 4 channel receiver (A and B sets of speakers). The receiver can run all 4 channels at once, and has The capability to be bridged. So i was going to bridge the receiver, send the 2 channels to the amplifier in, and then run the pair of speakers from the sattelite outputs.

The receiver would send a full range signal to the sub, so that should be a good way to test it. It says the frequency response is from 18-120. Not sure if thats because of a crossover built-in, or if 120 is the highest frequency that the sub can accuratly reproduce. I'm assuminb if there is no crossover that i would hear some overtones (like voices and what not like you had stated earlier). But i guess there's only one way to find out.

I also took your advice and sent an e-mail to Canton themselves, so hopefully i get a response back from them.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16390

"I was planning on runing it off an old kenwood receiver. It is a 4 channel receiver (A and B sets of speakers). The receiver can run all 4 channels at once, and has The capability to be bridged. So i was going to bridge the receiver, send the 2 channels to the amplifier in, and then run the pair of speakers from the sattelite outputs."

It's not a four channel receiver. It's a two channel receiver with two sets of speaker outputs. The A and B outputs are simply connected to the same output transistors via a switch. Whether the switch is one that allows both sets to operate simultaneously or one that switches only one pair of speakers in line at any one time, you'll have to determine. But there is no way to "bridge" these connections. You use them as they exist, either "A" speakers or "B" speakers. If the amplifier has the capacity to be bridged, that would create a single monoaural amplifier and you would plug into only one channel's input and run your speaker leads from only one channel of one of the two speaker sets. If you want two channels of music - not mono - coming from the satellite speakers, you're plan isn't going to work as it has been stated.

Read the owner's manual for this receiver before you begin making connections that could damage it.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us