Onkyo protection mode changing channels, Directv, audio stream change.

Username: Mazzy70

Post Number: 1
Hi, everyone,

I have a Onkyo 6300, which consist of the HT-R680 receiver, and I am having some really irritating audio issues. Sometimes when I change the channel with Directv, my receiver will go into protection mode. It doesn't do it everytime, but I am getting tired of getting the stuffing scared out of me everytime it does it. Secondly, it will do it when I switch from the PS3 to Directv. Basically it does it when it has to change audio streams. Once it is on, and running, the audio is perfect. I can run it for hours at any loudness and not have any issues at all. It will also go into protect mode at the begining of a Netflix show on the PS3. Always at the start of the audio stream it seems. To get it not to Protect mode on me, I mute the receiver before I change the channel so it doesn't go into protect mode ever. Here is the rundown.

1. Fan cooled Receiver-HT-R680 5.1 with 6 ohm speakers, all tested one at a time. Receiver is rated 6-16 ohms. Tried a factory reset, still does it. Tried different hdmi inputs, still does it.

2. 16 gauge wire with banana plugs and tinned ends. No loose or stray wires here.

3. Everything hooked up HDMI cables except for laserdisc player, which is composite with digital audio out.

4. For everything on Directv I use straight decode, or neo 6 cinema, so I don't get relay clicks on the 2 channel commercials or programs.

5. PS3 is straight decode meaning multichannel out

6. Laserdisc is digital audio set to all channel stereo.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am at a loss here. I have different speakers coming in a week, and I don't want to blow them up with the loud pop if the receiver goes into protect. Thanks everyone!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16031

"Does anyone have any suggestions?"

Like what? Are you looking for us to tell you which component is defective so you can diy a repair? Obviously, thet can't happen on a furom nor would I suggest you get your hands inside this receiver. This unit needs to go to a repair shop.

The only other test I would suggest is to remove all speakers from the amplifier so there is no load on the amplifier. Then perform the functions which most commonly shut down the receiver. If the unit continues to shut down with no load, then you've narrowed the possibilities for the tech. Otherwise, it would seem the pre amp/processor is having a difficult time automatically muting the system before an input switch is made. Possibly the handshake between digital components isn't being properly made. Either way, there's nothing you can do other than basic troubleshooting. You can't repair the unit and there wouldn't appear to be anything wrong with the set up of the system. Do the test with the receiver not under any sort of load and, whether or not the problem still occurs, tell the tech the results of this test - and all others - when you take in the receiver.

Post Number: 2
No, not looking to crack one of these open, but I thought maybe this has happened to someone before and knew what was causing it or if It was something I was doing to cause it. I didn't know that the preamp muted the system before the switch is made. That would make sense considering I can use it all day for weeks as long as I mute before the next channel starts. Thanks for the reply though.

Post Number: 3
Well after some more testing I can get it to do it with nothing connected, not even the speakers, just playing the radio. I guess nothing i can do now but take it in to be serviced. Sucks, I have only had this receiver for a month.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16037

If it's that new, ask for an exchange from the retailer where you made the purchase. All they can do is say yes or no.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14299
See if this helps:

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us