How to control receiver from smartphone or tablet

Username: Flyover

Post Number: 1
I want to be able to control the receiver on my stereo system and stream music from apps on my phone. I can't seem to find one product that does both things. Do any of you have such a setup that you can recommend? Which device has the best app for my iPhone? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 2222
For a stereo receiver? You'll probably need an outboard blue tooth device to stream music from phone to receiver. I am not aware of any stereo models that can be controlled via smart phone. I believe some of the HT flag ship models can be controlled by phones. Personally, I am way too old fashioned to control my audio system with my phone.

Username: Flyover

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the feedback. I have an older Sony receiver and I am looking for a device (like you described) to plug into it allowing me to stream music from my phone anywhere in my house. Anyone know of a good device on the market? How is the app?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3027
IF you use computer based audio.....and can run a line (usually USB) to a DAC next to the stereo, you can use Ipod Touch 'Remote' app.

This is what I do.

Using Itunes and 'remote' I can call up virtually ANY music on my computer. If your confuser is close to your stereo, and it has a Toslink (optical) input, it's even easier. MAC computers have an optical out...and have for quite a while. Many users report terrific use out of the Mac Mini.

Listen to music from your PHONE? You mean small, MP3 files? That'd get on most peoples nerves. I have everything duplicated in lossless files which I use at home.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 2224
"If your confuser is close to your stereo..."

Confuser eh? good name for it. I use confusers all day long. Desk top, laptop, phone, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1565
If you buy an Apple TV and plug it into your receiver, and then set it up on your wifi, you can stream music from any other device (apple or anything with iTunes) to your hifi system. There are other ways, but this is one that works very well.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14825
Both Onkyo and Pioneer AV receivers do both of these features. tablet/phone-based control apps, and audio/video streaming from your phone. I know my Onkyo TX-NR1010 offers this, as do most of both company's 7.2 and 9.2 channel models in the $800+ retail price range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us