Simaudio Supernova as a hi-rez DAC

Bronze Member
Username: Bluemark81

NB Canada

Post Number: 95
I have the Simaudio Supernova CD player which has a digital input to allow use of its internal DAC. I want to use its DAC to play hi-resolution 96kHz and 192 kHz audio files. Does anyone know what the "native" sampling rate of the Supernova is? It has a sampling rate of 352.8 kHz, but if I use its DAC to play a music file with a sampling rate of 96 or 192, what does the DAC of the Supernova do to the "native" sampling rate? Does it simply pass through the native rate or does it still upsample to 352.8? Are there any disadvantages in it doing this? Do I need to consider purchasing a DAC that will do 96 or 192 kHz native?

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1426
Most DAC's shouldn't have a "native" sampling rate per se. The should align to the input stream they are being fed. If they don't support the rate or word length of the input stream, then they would resample to a "native" or supported rate (which could mean upsampling or downsampling).....or padding the word length.

I'm not overly familiar with the Supernova's DAC capabilities, but I would expect it would line up to what you fed it. I thought that most of the Sim players with the ability to leverage the internal DAC actually showed you the sample rate of the material you were playing on the display, once it locked onto the signal....but I don't know about the Supernova for sure. Have you tried plugging a source into it and see ?

That's a very nice unit BTW.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 96
Chris:

I ended up getting in touch with Simaudio. This is what they informed me:

"The SuperNova does not use a sample-rate converter circuit (SRC) to
convert the incoming data to any pre-defined sampling frequency before
D/A conversion. That said, it will process the data at whatever rate it
is sent. The SuperNova will accept data at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4
and 192kHz, and process it at those respective frequencies."

So, basically what you are telling me is the same.

Thanks by the way. I do love Simaudio products. I also own two of their amps.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3582
Hey Blue, if I remember correctly you have sim amps and paradigm sig speakers?

Most, if not all content minus a few re-mixed or recorded high res files on the market are recording in 44.1/16. The fact your that your DAC handles up to 192 means its ready for any file currently out there. Upsampling is complete BS. Any DAC I have heard when upsampling sounds like absolute crap. When fed native 44.1 is when they perform best. I actually like the fact the Sim has no sampling what so ever. Just passes the stream through. I dig.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4493
IMO the best DACs leave the sample rates alone, or they have defeatable upsampling. I figured Simaudio would leave the incoming rate alone and not f with it.

Upsampling has one advantage that I've noticed - mp3 files. While pretty much everyone with gear at the levels we have wouldn't play mp3s willingly, Internet radio is becoming more and more popular with guys like us. Their mp3 streams upsampled usually sound better to my ears.

As Chris said, great gear. Sim makes some fantastic stuff.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 97
Nick:

Yes, I do have a couple of Sim amps (W5 and Titan) and Sig speakers as part of my home theatre.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us