Integrated suggestions

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 580
Hey guys,

I just purchased an Emotiva CDP and have reduced my speaker options to either Monitor Audio RS6 or Focal 836v (only because I have heard both and was impressed). I was wondering, based on your experiences, what integrated would blend well with either of these setups. I am also open to seperates but would rather stick to integrated. I am looking for soundstage and clarity. I do not really favor warm or bright, I am rather more concerned with clarity (which in my limited listening has actually leaned toward brighter setups). I do not need all the bells and whistles either as this is a simple 2 speaker setup, no sub.

Fairly large rectangular room and I listen mostly to classical and trance.

I would probably buy used (unless this is not recommended) and would be willing to spend $500-$700.

Thanks everyone and happy holidays!!!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4560
As always, I'll recommend Cambridge Audio. If you stretch your budget a bit, you can pick up a CA 840A v2, which is a KILLER integrated for the money. I've used it extensively with my RS6s and have been very happy.

If you decide to go with the RS6, stay away from Rotel. This is a match made in hell.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 581
I have been eying the Cambridge gear. For $1k though I could get Emotiva seperates; their XPA-2 pumps 300 watts/each into 8 ohms. I wonder how these seperates would compare to the 840a v2?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4561
I would imagine the 840A would the clean the floor with the Emotiva stuff.

I'd rather have even 10 watts of good clean power than gobs of mediocre power. The 840A is 120 watts (from what I recall). More than any sane person would need. Excluding Nuck, of course.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15640
Are y'all singing the "underbought Blues"?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 877
I've heard Cambridge and the RS6 before, It sounded excellent. MS RS series isn't difficult to drive, so an amp like the 840A would surely be up to the task and then some. And then some more.

If clarity is what you want, I'd also suggest Exposure. I had my 2010s2 powering RS5 speakers for a bit, detail and clarity were fantastic. Ultimately I found the highs too bright for my tastes and blamed it on the speaker. Many others share that sentiment, but it's also clear that many others really like the RS series. But given that MA and Cambridge seem to go together so well, I'd probably start listening there.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4563
The MA's can be a little hot on the top end for sure Dan. That's why I advise against using Rotel with them.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1186
Bought my Unison Research Unico about 6 months ago. Great soundstage, quite detailed and is a hybrid so tames the highs nicely but doesn't overly color the music. Been very happy with it and got it for close to your price range on Audiogon. Give me 6 months and I'll sell it to you when the "upgrade" madness hits me again. LOL

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13729
That's it Dave, looking forward...now you're getting the hang of it...lol!

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1187
Art,

Hey, even my wife is now resolved to the upgrades coming, except the speakers. I doubt those will change in my life time. But, I can see a new amp on the near horizon and I'm still reading like crazy on DACs. Sorry to hijack your thread db.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us