New NAD T752 owner question

Russ
Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster here. Thanks everyone for the great advice going on at this site. I'm rather a hi-fi newbie so this is all good stuff.

I just took shipment of a refurb T752. Almost everything seems fine, though I haven't really put it through its paces yet--I'm still accumulating speakers, etc. It's set up with an old (but working) pair of fronts and another speaker for a center.

Anyway, what's going on is that when I turn it off, it emits a nasty speaker pop. The wiring all seems solid, not loose. Firmware is v1.20. Does anyone know what might be going on or have advice on troubleshooting? Is that just the way these are? Does it happen with your NAD device? Hoping it's just a configuration thing because I don't relish shipping this behemoth back across the continent for service!

Thanks,
--Russ

Anonymous
Turn your volume down to minimum then turn off/on your receiver. Thats the rule. Follow it.

Anonymous
That might be a good rule Anon but it shouldn't pop at shutdown... I haven't heard a reciever pop at shutdown since I had a old Kenwood in the 70s.. Since then I've had 2 yamaha recievers, a Onkyo reciever and Yamaha seperates and non ever popped at shutdown no matter what the volume level.. It would worry me, hmm not sure if it's just another NAD T7XX bug or maybe the reason it was refurbished in the first place.. I'd try and get a exchange for another NAD refurb...

John A.
Russ, is this true shutdown or just switch to standby?
If I power-off my NAD T760 then there is an small but audible pop if I forgot to turn the volume down first. Same if I just pull the plug. But volume down to zero is good advice; especially because you can be secure at the next power-up. If the pop is not at a level to damage speakers or be any trouble then there is nothing to worry about. How it sounds when it's working is what matters. Power-up is where surges can be a problem and damage speakers. Take care with that when you connect a sub for the first time.

Russ
Ah, thanks for all the advice. Two things:

(1) Thanks for the rule, Anon., about turning it down before powering off. That did the trick.

(2) And good point, John A., it was only popping when I pressed the big green button to "hard" power off; I'll pretty much be using Standby mode instead and there's no popping there.

--Russ

John A.
A pleasure, Russ. In my experience using standby also keeps the internal battery charged so you never lose presets, speaker settings, radio tunings, etc. It uses less than one Watt, I think.

I am looking to buy a T752 and I spoke to an enthusiastic dealer. When I asked him about problems he admitted that NAD are not without their problems. Allegedly, a lot of new NAD amps had a loud popping sound when switching between sources. Turns out that the switching mechanism was replaced under warranty and all was fine. When the popping on shutdown is related, I dont know at this stage.
Sure hope the NAD i buy has no problems!

AK
Hi all,

This site has been very informative to me...I am about to buy a T752 and at least I know what I am about to get into by reading all these constructive feedbacks. By the way it will be very helpful for people to start putting their unit's manufacture date with messages. At least by doing so, all of us will have some idea of when the frequency of problems rose since T752 was introduced. Perhaps we can convey that information to NAD if they care to know... We all can be a part of good consumer watchdogs as well as audiophiles.

By the way I am still buying T752 because I fell in love with the way it sounds despite all these known problems.... Wish me a good luck!

Northern Exposure
Hello feloow NADist's. I have a question and another T752 spook warning. Can anyone/eveyone share their Channel Level Methodologies. I have had opposite instructions from 2 NAD dealers. Set levels @ +12db and work down / Set levels @ 0db and work up to adjust?????????????????

Spook Alert. When plugging in my Headphones the front panel SEES and REPONDS HEADPHONES but no signsl is cut to the speakers and no signal to the cans???????????
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us