1-bit CD players better than multi-bit players

Silver Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 140
Hi...
In a nutshell, they are almost the same. Here are a few outstanding sounding 1-bit players and some excellent sounding multi-bit players. Some feel that the 1-bit technology has more future because it can be improved with the quickly improving digital technology, while the multi-bit players improve with slowly improving analog equipment. Multi-bit also has its advocates. All of the various D/A converters try to do the same thing, and try to achieve the exact same ideal performance. How well they succeed is more a function of their skill and the quality of the parts that they buy than the technique that they use. In other words, the architecture of a D/A converter is less important than the quality of its implementation.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2216
I KNOW DBT gets no traction.
Years ago when 1bit was new and all the Japanese players were sporting it, a comparison was run. Nobody knew what player was playing. 3 players. A Phillips 1 bit and a pair of single bit Japanese machines.
The Philips player was pref'd and to a significant degree. The other players didn't sound as good.
Today? Doubt the Phillips would even want to show up.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14176
I had that Philips...it wasn't bad in it's day.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2224
Had my original 14bit philips/magnevox until the purchase of my CA840, with a brief holdover period using an Oppo universal player.....

I'd think seriously about chucking the CA and the OPPO and replacing them with whatever the top OPPO BlueRay player happens to be. And I've seen one with Balanced outs!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14204
I still haven't heard or used an Oppo that I like. One day perhaps.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1008
I can't criticize the video performance of my Oppo 93 - better than anything else in it's price range I'd expect. I'm very happy with it's DVD upscaling. I haven't listened to it for CD playback though. I wouldn't expect it to beat the Apollo. No universal I've tried so far has. The Denon DBP-1611UD was the best of the lot for audio, much better than I expected from a $400 machine. The CA 650BD was a real letdown as far as CD playback went.

The Oppo BDP-95 looks like a real beast. I think Cambridge has the 751BD coming soon too, it might be based off of the 95. It also seems very impressive. But to me, when you put a universal up against a machine designed solely to play red book CD, it's at a pretty big disadvantage right from the get go.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2228
Remains to be seen if the OPPO can do well enough to replace a 2-box approach. I'd LIKE it to, which isn't the same as actually doing it.

Oppo has gone to a lot of trouble and the player with Balanced outs may be the best audio performer they've ever made.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/
At 1000$ this should be an 'ultimate' type universal player.

And don't forget, even Oppo makes an 'SE' version of a player while the modders are heavily involved.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us