Rega on a Roll!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14940
In case you hadn't noticed or even cared Rega has introduced a number of new products which are enough to have me curious.

The new Apollo-R has joined the new Brio-R integrated along with 3 turntables introduced over the last year, the RP1, RP3 and the RP6.

The Brio-R, Apollo-R and RP-3 look like the makings of a system that could stand on it's own for good long while.

http://www.rega.co.uk/

I love the way my system sounds now and will not be rid of NAD pieces any time soon however I will be setting them up elsewhere in the home in the next year or so and replacing them in the home office with either the Naim Nait 5i-2 and CD5i or the Brio-R and Apollo-R. Also on tap will be moving the Rega RP1 with the NAD pieces and upgrading to the RP3 with Exact cartridge and Groovetracer subplatter as well as the TTPSU. Considering that the Brio-R comes with a very good MM phono stage and at considerably less money it seems like a killer deal. My ears will be ultimate judge. No hurry though as the Harbeth's are still loving the NAD stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3600
I dig your NAD amp Art. I was hoping to pick up my 840a this weekend, and take a listen to some gear as my dealer has the Brio-R on demo right now. Apparently it is very nice. Unfortunately the amp didn't arrive yet so I will have to wait a week to hear the Brio-R. It would be interesting on what you find when comparing the Brio-R and Nait 5i to your NAD. Most would count the NAD out right away due to its badge alone but I wouldn't. The Nait 5i is one very musical amp that has a great sense of timing, but the NAD has a nice neutral/full sound with no bump in the mid-range which is nice as long as you have no hearing loss then it comes across as "dull" which I believe is why you like it, cause you still have your hearing. (Not saying anybody has hearing loss, or that some just may not like the NAD sound). I have no interest in CD Players and especially not Turntables, but I am excited to hear the Brio-R with the Rega DAC soon. Glad you brought it up. Lots of great deals and new gear arriving.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1140
The new turntables look pretty sweet. Not a fan of the new smaller dimensions of the CDP and amp, but how the gear sounds is of course more important. Rega has probably done what it needs to on that front.

Not much on the new Apollo yet, but there is this short video:

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14945
I've seen the video. Actually I've been in touch with the publisher of an ezine who is getting the Apollo-R in for review. He may bring it down here to my place for a listen with a Brio-R and my Harbeth's. Pretty exciting.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14946
Change, looks like I'll be headin' to his place. I'll have a good listen this month and meet good folks...can't beat that.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3601
Lots of videos on Youtube on the R stuff. Here is a video review on the Brio-R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsCfyI1pJU&feature=related

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1141
Nice Art. From most accounts, the Brio-R is a great amp, and I'm sure the Apollo won't sound too shabby either. Be sure to let us know how it stacks up.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14948
Will do.

Sold my REL T5 sub. Great little sub, just don't need one in my 9x10 room. Those will be the first few bucks toward the Rega stack...lol!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4502
How'd I miss this thread?

Rega's shaking stuff up, and my ears tell me it's for the better. I briefly heard the Brio-R the other day, and all I can say is it's far better than the previous Brio, and quite possibly better than the Mira 3. Looks better in person that the pics do as well.

Also heard the RP3. Better than the P3-24, which was quite good IMO. Not a fan of their cartridges, but what are you gonna do?

The Mira and Saturn are also going to be updated. Full size chassis, unlike the Brio and Apollo. I think that's a smart move, as they'll have stuff catering to different markets/buyers.

Sounds like a great time, Art. Let us know how it goes. I'm looking forward to it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14963
Will do, Stu.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15442
It appears that the next step in digital disc playback comes this summer from Rega. The new Saturn.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1189
Guess that means the current Saturn will be discounted soon.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15448
It already is in many places. The Portland dealer blew hers out at $1200. The Mira 3 is also being blown out at $699 at several places. I would look for the next Saturn to come in at a price that would make it an ideal partner for the Elicit...or a new Mira to replace the Elicit. A lot of fun at Rega these days. I'm still looking forward to putting that new Apollo-R up against this outstanding TEAC. The demo TEAC went back to the dealer and I have my new one hear and it's performing wonderfully! Great CD player...the Apollo-R is gonna have to bring it!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4547
Haven't been here for a while. The move and adjustment and all...

$1200 for a Saturn? That's gotta be the best deal I've heard in a very long time.

According to Paul Darwin of Rega (on Pink Fish), the Saturn and Mira 3 have been in the works for an overhaul for quite a while. Full sized chassis, unlike the R series.

I'm guessing the new Mira and Saturn will slot below the Elicit. Maybe it will in fact be a replacement for the Elicit?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15453
It would have to be a replacement. I'd guess they will be somewhere in that price range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us