Portable CD player

Username: Alicez

Post Number: 1
I have a portable CD player which I want to connect to a pair of larger speakers. However, the speakers have RCA (male) plugs and the portable CD player just has a single output (audio) hole for a single external speaker plug.
I have an adapter, but it has one single speaker plug (for Logitech speakers) on one end and two RCA plugs (male) that would plug into the back of my TV. This is opposite I what I would want.
What I would want is an adapter that had two RCA (female) plugs on one end and one "single" speaker plug (male) on the other that would plug into my portable CD player.
What would this type of plug be called?
Does anyone know? I believe that is what I would need.
Thank you
Alice

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 932
Bad news and the good.

You have the right cable, but you need to buy a receiver to power the speakers. You also need speaker cables if you don't have any electric cords laying around.

If you don't mind used, you can get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-TX-840-Stereo-Receiver-Tuner-Amplifier-FREE-SHIP-/2706 35915976?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item3f03285ac8

If you want a nice powerful new one, this one sounds good:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8555/Onkyo/TX-8555-100-wa tts-2-channel-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

If you need speaker wire, this one is an upgrade from standard wires - sold by the foot.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/IXOSXHS606W/IXOS/Xhs606-15-Awg -Gamma-Geometry-Speaker-Wire-White-Per-Foot/1.html

What are the speakers you have ?
I am afraid most portable CD players don't sound very good connected this way.

If you want quality sound, you might want to upgrade to bigger home CD player. If you post it in CD section here at ecoustics, you will get many good suggestion for it.

Here are the instructions for hooking it all up.

Take your cable, and grab the sinlge 1/8 male side, and in your C player, look for "out" hole. If you don't see one, then use the headphone out hole and insert it there. Turn up the volume about half way.

Take the other end with 2 RCA males (red and white), and plug them into the "CD" section on the back of a receiver - there will be series of RCA female holes.

Next, hook up the speaker wire. They are other holes with the red and black color codes. If you look on the back of the speakers, they too will be color labelled as well - red and black (most likely, if not then there will be + and - sign on it). Red is "+", and black is "-"
Make sure you match the colors.

Make sure the cable doesn't become crossed - the red should goto red, and the black to black, or you won't get much bass.

That's all to hooking it up.

First, of course, you need to pluging in the receiver's electric cable, and turn it on with the "power" button on the front.

The next step is to look on the front of the receiver and find the volume knob - most likely a big round one on onkyo receivers.

Turn it up just a little - may be a quarter way to the right.
Then look for function button or knob. Choose "CD" on it, and you should be hearing sounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us