NAD T752 v. NAD T762

Anonymous
I am another person who has been reading the posts for some time. I am quite impressed at the kind advice many of you have dispensed.

I have a set up in a family room with Phase Technology speakers (T7 mains, 6.5 center, ceiling surrounds and Power 8 sub) in a 5.1 system now driven by a Marantz SR5300 receiver. It is nice but I feel slightly unpowered. I have a second set up to do and can move the Marantz to a smaller set up and add a new receiver to the family room set up.

I have followed the discussions about NAD receivers and am not put off by the complaints. The question is the comparison of the NADs to the SR5300. Is the 752 a good jump over the 5300 or do I need to go to the 762? I can get good prices on each locally. I understand they are similar except for the power rating.

Again, the SR5300 can get loud enough if it is maxed volume. I am looking for more fullness in lower volumes.

I appreciate your input.

Anonymous
The NAD 742 would even be better than the SR5300 if you don't mind the primative bass management and other options that are lacking. The NAD 752 and 762 have had some problems as you read on these threads, but if you get a good one then you'll be in heaven with either of those two NAD's.

As for myself, I'm waiting it out. The new xx3's are coming (late as usual) but I have a good feeling about these new models. The xx2's will definately be bargains around March 2004 so if you can wait you'll save even more.

Anonymous
Anon, appreciate the response. I have listened to the 762 and love the sound. The question though is whether the 752 should be enough or whether I need to go up to the 762. Any money saved could be applied to speakers.

Johnny
Anon,

I think the decision on whether you need the 762 over the 752 has to be yours. A lot of it depends on your personal preferences. The 752 would have plenty of power in most cases. Unless you have a huge room, it should be enough in the power department. However, the 752 is only a 5 channel receiver, and the 762 is a 6 channel receiver. Once again, this is a matter of personal preference. Currently, there are relatively few DVD's that are encoded in a 6.1 format, so you won't find many sources that would give you a true 6.1 sound anyway. If you want the possibility of 6.1, you are only left with the 762. If this is not important to you, then I am quite certain that the 752 would fit your needs. Other than the 5.1 vs. 6.1 and the slight difference in power, the 752 and 762 are basically the same. Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Johnny, thank you it does help. I am not interested in the 6.1 set up as I have no place for a rear speaker. The power is the only concern. I was mainly interested in a comparison of the output of the Marantz SR5300 and the NAD T752/T762. As I said the original post, the Marantz is just not quite enough. I am wondering how the Marantz powerwise compares to the NAD line. Is the SR5300 comparable to the T742? Hawk in another post said that the T742 is a better receiver than the SR7300. Is that a powerwise or soundwise comparison? Does the T752 compare to the SR7300? The SR6300? I am trying to get a comparison since I can't translate the volume from the store to the home. My room is fairly large 20' x 25' (I avoided the Spinal Tap " problem), but I don't listen to things blasting loud. I want more fullness in the moderate levels. The SR5300 has to be pushed hard to get there. Any help with these comparisons would be really welcome. Mr. Hawk?

Railbait
One other difference is the T762 has 2 zones, (A + B). Does anyone know if you can listen to two different sources with this? I used to have an Onkyo that would perform that way.

Johnny
Railbait,

Yes, with the 762 you can listen to two different sources. It even comes with a second remote control that works from any room in the house. You can be listening to two different sources at two different volume levels at the same time. To quote from the owners manual..."the remote allows full seperate control of the sourse selection irrespective to the main room...this means the zone input can be completely different audio and video from the main input and thus cooresponding volume levels as well." I have not tried to use this feature as I don't have another set of speakers to use in the second zone, so I can't speak from experience, but according to the owners manual, this feature should be what you are looking for.

As for the power issue, Hawk can correct me if I am wrong, but the NAD receivers are all very conservative in their power ratings. They rate their power "all channels driven simultaniously", whereas some other companies rate their with only a couple of channels driven. Therefore, if the Marantz says that it is 80 watts x 5, it it actually probably a little lower than that. However, if the NAD says it is 80 watts x 5, then that is an accurate, maybe even low rating. This is a way that some audio companies can make their product seem a lot more powerful than it really is. NAD and H/K are the only companies that I am aware of that rate their products with "all channels driven". Therefore, if you are trying to compare the Marantz and the NAD, you should keep this in mind. When the NAD says it is 80 watts, as the 752 is, it is a truthful rating. To compare the Marantz and the NAD in purely power aspects, I would say that the 752 compares best with the 6300 and the 762 would compare with the 8300, even though I would say the NAD still would have more power and a better sound when comparing these specific models.

As far as comaring the 752 and 762 power wise, I think you would be hardpressed to hear a difference. 20 watts in the audio world is really not that much. Unless you are listening to things at really loud levels, I doubt that you would ever come close to maxing out either of them. I hope this helps.

Anonymous
Johnny, thanks. That's what I was looking for. I am deciding between a T752 new or a T762 which is a demo with full warranty. I am thinking of going the T762 demo route because of all the postings of problems out of the box and the power. Appreciate all responses. Thanks.

John A.
About power, I keep plugging NAD's own statement on this, it is very good and I believe it is correct:

http://www.nadelectronics.com/power/

Johnny
Anon,

I would definately go for the demo 762, if it has the warranty. I assume that if it is demo, it will be cheaper, and that means you could have either the 752 or 762 for around the same price. So, why not get the 762? It makes sense. Let us know how it turns out.

Anonymous
I wouldn't spend more than $750 on a demo'd 762 at this time. Wait a bit and you probably can get a new in box 762 for around $800.

Anonymous
Again, thanks for the input. The dealer sells a little audio as a hobby more or less. His main business (out of which he sells audio) is a furniture store. He loves this stuff himself. He also sells Mordant Short and Meadowlark speakers. He is one of the only authorized NAD dealers in my city. The demo is not like a stereo store demo and is hardly used or even used in his home. The price is around the $750 level (the 752 is for about $500). He is selling this stuff at cost because of the new line coming in. I am concerned about the threads where folks have found bugs out of the box. I have bought used audio equipment before and I think if you buy good stuff, its fine. Also, if you see it is working, hopefully no bugs as has been reported. Also, I have a chance to take the 762 home to try it out once the 773 comes in but can't take the 752 home. I would rather pay a bit more for the extra power and the comfort of knowing what I have.

John A.
Anonymous,

I would get the ex-demo T762, especially since you know it has had a good home. It is a real bargain, and it is run-in, that's probably all there is to say. Its life span will be in decades anyway, if that is how long you wish to keep it (see my Receiver quality and NAD). Test the dealer by making sure he offers a full warranty and has kept all the accessories (FM and AM antennae etc.) and especially the user manual (though you can get one free), also the original box and packing, just in case. Sorry about the pun, quite unintentional.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us