Starting a new system; Need an int. amp.

Username: Greg_whitman

Post Number: 4
Hey guys,

I started a thread (called "Serious Buy") in November of last year when I first became interested in purchasing a sound system. -- At that time, my budget was 1k; however, I've recently increased it to 1.5k. So I'm expecting that more options will open up now. (Although I understand that $500 is not THAT much.)

Can you help me?

Specs:
- Dorm room (~ 180sq ft)
- Listening to a variety of music (i.e. Jazz, modern/classic rock, pop, classical, rap)
- no need for heavy bass

Thanks,

-Greg

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 989
We need more of your requirements. What is your source going to be ? CD's ? I-pod ? Dac ? Will you only be hooking up a single source to your amp, or will you need multiple sources (dvd, cd, ipod, tuner) ? Are you thinking 2 speaker only, or a Home Theatre sort of arrangement ? What systems have you listened to already ? Have you heard anything you liked ? What brands are available to purchase in your area ?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3917
Great questions by Chris.

Just because its in a dorm room now doesn't mean it'll be in one forever (hopefully anyway ).

Also, how many sources? What speakers will it drive?
Is $1500 integrated amp and speakers, or just integrated?
Open to buying used, or just new?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15041

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0705/odysseyaudio.htm

Post Number: 5
Hey,

I'll start with Chris's questions and work down from there.

- First off, my source is going to be my computer. That way I can play both internet radio, itunes music and CDs. And I've already been told to test out the HRT Mediastreamer.
- Also, I'm just going to have two speakers for this system. That is, no home theater or surround sound. And no sources beyond my computer and ipods for now. So that comes out to two sources, if I'm not mistaken.
- I have not had time to spend listening to systems thus far, but I'm planning on changing that within the next two weeks or so. -- I'll keep you guys updated on that. And in addition to informing you of which brands I grow to like, I'll let you guys also know which ones are available to me.

As for Stu,

-Yes. haha. Just like you hoped, my plan is to buy a system that will function in more than just a dorm room and will be of at least good quality.
-The $1500, however, is for everything (i.e. speakers + integrated)

and last, but not least,

- I'm open to buying both used and new.

Thanks for the questions,

-- Greg

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15230
Greg, the HRT is a good start!
Now...beyond the hardware, and lets go "source first".
What format do you have your music in?
If you have mp3's, I would suggest investing time and $ in betterer files.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3918
The Peachtree products have gotten some very good press lately. Haven't heard them though. They have a built in DAC with a few digital inputs and a couple of analog inputs. The iDecco even has a built in iPod dock that takes the digital stream from an iPod, thus theoretically making it sound far better than an ordinary dock or headpohone to RCA wire.

I think models start around $1k? Combine that with a $500 set of speakers and you've got a system that sounds great to a lot of people's ears. No experience with it personally, but there are a ton of people on various forums who own one.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 992
Peachtree is one that came to mind for me as well Stu. That'll cover your amp and dac for about $1000 or so (US$). However, I have no idea whether that will be to Greg's taste. I've read nothing but good things about that gear, but I could say that about a lot of gear. I'm considering the iDecco to replace my NAD receiver.....but I think in the end I'll try and spend less money than that.

Post Number: 6
Ok. That seems like a decent option. I'll look into listening to it.

As of recently, however, I've gotten a proposal for a deal with a guy from the hifi store in my area. He wants to sell me a NEW 100 watt per channel Denon DRA 697, coupled with a pair of used B&W "CDM 7"s (although I think in his email to me he meant "CM7s" instead of "CDM7s", because I can't find any CDM7's on the B&W website).

Obviously I'm going to have the guy set the components up for me to listen to and compare to other things. But I wanted to see what you guys thought about it, and if you had any suggestions for me going into this.

-Greg

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15253
Since you asked, Greg, I would put that Denon about #17 on my list...

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15122
haha I figured someone would nicely say skip it

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15254
Was I nice? Damm, I must be getting slow...
Does the guy have any pre-loved stuff?
This calls for pre-loved, I think.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2414
Look out folks, here it comes, another MA6900 happens to be for sale...

Post Number: 7
Personally, I didn't find Nuck's way of "skipping it" to be very rude, haha. In fact, it's probably one of the nicer ways to say, "Don't listen to the guy who's trying to sell you that. He's full of s**t, and he's gonna f*** you over." (excuse my french)

... aaand that's another reason, in addition to others, why I'm a member of this forum. -- So I can ask the people for advice who aren't interested in making money off of this decision.

Anyway, though, it's also funny that the Denon turns out to be a not-so-good amp, because the guy who is going to try to sell it to me "does not have it in stock". And when he said that he wanted me to come by and listen, he said that I'd thus only have the chance to listen to the speakers. (A new pair of the used speakers, of course, that he just happens to have for me to listen to).

Post Number: 8
I don't want to waste any more time getting annoyed at this guy, though... (Who was, by the way, going to sell everything to me for a little more than $14-hundred)

So where should I go from here? Are the B&W CM7's any good? -- Because maybe I could get at least those out of this, if i can get a good price for them... i don't know.

Greg

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15261
I have never owned the cm7's greg, so I cant really help there.
And despite Mike's slanderous intimations, you don't need a 4k$ amp.

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1001
Greg, is there any other place you can go to listen to other gear ? Before diving into a purchase, it would be good to get an understanding of what the options are and what sounds good to you. We could throw out all kinds of brands at you that we like, but what's important is what sounds good to you.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 727
B&W are generally well regarded in the hifi community. From all I've read they are often a bit tough to drive and have bumped up highs and lows. Obviously some will like that and some won't. It's a good idea to go listen to them, and perhaps read some user impressions online about that model.

The Denon is a stereo receiver. Denon says it is stable into 4ohms. The CM7 appears to retail for $1,800, so used they would probably go for about half. That leaves about $600 for an amp. If I like the CM7 I would probably buy it, and then try to buy a different amp. Since you'll be using a PC you probably don't need a radio (which the Denon includes). In that case you can buy a nice integrated amp, which contains no radio. Integrateds are generally viewed as superior to receivers. In that range you might find Denon, Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Rega; or you could buy used and get something a bit nicer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us