Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 789
Anyone out there can build a detailed vented box design? Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14834

I don't know what that means. Box designs are available on line. Building them is not that tough.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 790
I need someone to design a box for a pair of particular 12" woofers, details and designs, someone who will show are parameters. Does that help? I want a vented box and don't know how big to makes vent's and stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14836

You need to know the T/S (Theile/Small) parameters for the drivers. Do you?

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 791
Yes, they are Alpines, and I have them from their site. No of anyone that can figure out the insides and out and also the vent size? Thanks

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14837

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?Car_Audio=Subwoofer%20Box%20Volume%20 Calculator%20and%20Speaker%20Box%20Design

http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/Two_Drivers.pdf

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#rec

http://www.lenntech.com/calculators/volume/volume.htm

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=603

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 792
Thanks, I'll see if I can figure it out.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 793
Trouble with those is that it doesn't tell you WHERE to put the vent and how far away and such. I had a guy a few years ago that build on program with pix on how to do that, do you know anyone that can? Thanks and sorry for all the hassle.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14839

The trouble with those is they aren't holding your hand all the way through the process. They assume you have the desire to learn something rather than just be told to cut here and paste there. Building a vented box is pretty simple, you can learn almost everything you need for a simple construction in an hour's worth of reading.

You can put the port anywhere it fits. You can get esoteric and come up with all sorts of formulas for how to do such and such but for the most part you can just place the drivers - and such - where they fit with a few simple formulas and worry about the fine details later. For a simple box, the drivers go as close to together as possible and the port goes as far from the drivers as possible.

If you have no desire to learn something, then the best option is to buy a preformed box from somewhere like Parts Express.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 799
Listen, I'm not afraid to read, and I did. And I'm not afraid to build a box, it's the correct placement and specs that some of these don't provide, and I did read most of it. All I am asking is not someome to hold my hand, do you or don't you know of someone who does designs for a certain set of speakers?? Thanks and don't be so aggressive! ok I'm just asking for some assistance.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14842

Why don't you "listen" for a minute.

That was my best answer. It wasn't "agressive", it merely stated the facts as I see them. All the information - and then some - that you'll need to build a basic vented box can be found in those links. There's nothing magical about building a basic vented enclosure. It's all based on math and the formulas spit out the final answers when you feed in the information. If you don't have the T/S parameters to work with, then you're kind of screwed until you get them.

It doesn't much matter whether the port is on the front or the back or the top or the bottom. A port merely allows the pressure in the enclosure to escape. It goes where it fits unless you have something specific in mind which I don't see that you do. You put the port where it fits unless you want something other than a basic vented enclosure. The formulas tell you what the port volume should be (length and diameter) for what numbers you punch in the formulas. It can't get much simpler than that. They don't provide information like, "Put the vent 'X' inches away from ... ", because that's generally not pertinent information. The port goes where it fits in a basic vented box.

If you want something other than a basic vented box, say, a quarter wave pipe, then you learn the math that goes with a quarter wave pipe. Most of these sites are simply a matter of plugging in the T/S parameters and the formulas will spit out answers. Other people have figured this out, you probably can too.

If you don't find what you want here, just put "DIY loudspeaker design" in a search engine. It really can't get much simpler than that. You put numbers in the empty boxes and then hit "submit" and you'll have an answer in a second. If you don't like that answer, try another bunch of numbers.

If you've read the material and don't get the basic idea, I still would suggest you buy something preformed. That's why I provided the link to Parts Express. Tell them the T/S parameters of your drivers and they'll sell you the appropriate box.

Otherwise, try the DIY audio forums but expect pretty much the same answers. The DIY guys are very much into learning from what you do - that's why they're DIY guys. If they weren't, they'd just be buying stuff off the shelf.

Or go down to your local car stereo shop and ask them to build you a box. It's a real simple equation, you learn what you need to know or you buy from someone else who has already learned all the stuff you don't want to spend time finding out.

Why'd you buy the drivers if you didn't know what to do with them?

Bronze Member
Username: Dwp

LeicesterEngland

Post Number: 18
What you need Jack is to download some free software and tap in the information such as 'how many drivers' 'Thiele Small parameters' etc. If you've done it correctly then you will get all the information you need. You can use any cross-section of vent you want but most opt for a tube which is inherently strong. The dimensions of the tube are critical. Also remember that any crossbracing should be taken into account when calculating volume.
[url=http://www.thehifisite.com]The HIFI site[/url]
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us