Cd player for harman kardon receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 204
hey everyone, its been a long while since i posted on here, good to be back though. im looking for a good cd player for my harman kardon avr-7200 receiver, i was thinking of getting nad but not to sure if it will be a good match or not, i really dont want to spend any more than $500 on one, less would be nice but that is as high as i can really go.

thanks for any help.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3871
Have you considered a DAC instead? There's a lot of good ones out there within your budget and less. They're far more versatile.

If you've got a digital input in your AVR, how about a squeezebox or Apple TV?

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
i actually have it running in analog bypass, i have never considered a DAC i'm not to familiar with them. I don't have apple tv where i live unfortunately. would i hook up the DAC to my dvd player which is what im using now?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3872
You can hook up anything with a digital output. If you hook up a DVD player to a stereo DAC, you'll lose surround sound.

If your AVR has an internal DAC (digital inputs), you can use that instead of an external DAC. The Apple TV is available everywhere. I use one as a music server. It's internal hard drive stores music like a computer would - no more searching for CDs or having them take up space. Use the Apple TV's digital output and connect it to your AVR if possible.

The Apple TV can be found in Apple TV stores and online for about $200. If you have wifi and an iPod Touch/iPhone, you don't need the TV on to control it.

The squeezebox is similar, only it streams music from your computer rather than storing it. The computer needs to be on to acess the music though.

I think the servers are far more convenient than CD players. If set up right, they sound just as good, if not better.

External DACs take them to the next level. DACs like the Cambridge DACmagic and Musical Fidelity VDAC ate pretty inexpensive and sound great for the money.

After living with my AppleTV for about a year now, I'll never go back to a CD player. I'm looking into a better DAC than my old Theta DAC. I'll then hook up my Apple TV, and have inputs for my cable box and Xbox (2 channel only, but I don't want surround).

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3873
I forgot to mention... A $200 Apple TV and $300 MF V DAC will most likely sound better than a $500 NAD. And it'll be more convenient.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
ok thanks stu i'll look into maybe a music server and get te MF V DAC and see how i like it. i was thinking of at&t tv that wasn't available lol i will look into the apple tv as a server. thanks for all of your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us