Dedicated cd player as a transport to a dacmagic

Silver Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 218
Im trying to research to see what would be a good cd transoprt for my system to upgrade from my Oppo Dv-980H, I have a dacmagic. Ive narrowed it down to Nad C515, 545, Marantz CD-5003 and Cambridge Audio 550C or 540C. I own the cambridge 640A with Monitor audio rs1's.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3713
If you already have the DacMagic and 640A it would make sense to stay with CA for the transport.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3005
I agree with David.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
I was really leaning towards the C545BEE or the CA 550C ( but its a little too expensive and no place to audition it in my area ) There seem to be more Nad dealers than CA dealers.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3016
Being for transport only, it really wouldn't matter which player as synergy is not a consideration in this case.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 914
You may want to research which player uses which mechanism and choose from the 'reliable' end of the spectrum. That WILL matter!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3018
I think the players Abe has narrowed down his list to are all about as reliable as each other.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14690
Which transport(s) offer optical/USB connections to the DAC?

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Both the 545bee and 550c offer optical connections to the DAC.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14693
Does the older 540c offer optical?
If so, why not look to the older model?

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
I would take the 540C but i cant find one with warranty for a reasonable price.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14696
You buying just new then Abe?

Lots of good used units for dirt cheap.

If I were buying new, I would look at a streamer, or a media center if you are serious.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3718
There's usually tons of used CA gear on Audiogon. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty, but that's just me.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3712
Coax sounds a lot better than optical in my experience. Not always, but just about always.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 855
IMO, it is highly likely you'll hear very little if any difference between your Oppo and any of those players. I actually preferred my Oppo to my NAD as a transport when I was using my CIA dac. A computer or music streaming device (like a Slim device) or even an Apple TV might be good options to consider.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
I want something I can take wma lossless and wma protected files ( Zune pass) and stream them to my audio system. i have an xbox 360 running optical to my dacmagic but the quality is very very poor from the xbox.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 857
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3717
Abe,

I wonder why the sound quality is that bad. Probably jitter? If it is jitter, have you considered the Monarchy DIP or a similar device?

I've contemplated one, but I'm waiting to figure out what DAC I'll ultimately end up with. If the DAC re-clocks, the DIP is redundant. If not, it reportedly makes a very big improvement. And it converts optical to coax, which is a better connection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
Whats a Monarchy DIP?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3722
The Monarchy DIP is a re-clocking device. It'll also convert optical to coax. By re-clocking the signal, it greatly reduces jitter. I read a review that measured the jitter reduction of a few different devices at the time, and the Monarchy DIP was one of the best. It reduced optical jitter by something like 85%. The Theta TLC is another such device that was measured, and reduced optical jitter even more.

Jitter reportedly causes several audible things - glare, etch, hash, reduced soundstage (almost compressed sounding), and so on.

If jitter isn't the issue, then these things won't solve any problems.

The Monarchy DIP (there's a few different versions - DIP Upsampler, DIP Combo) and Theta TLC can usually be found on Audiogon for a decent price. I don't think Theta makes the TLC anymore, but Monarchy still makes the DIP. Check Audio Advisor. They had a demo one for a few bucks off. You have to go through all 8 or 9 pages to find it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Ill check it out im also looking at getting 340C as a transport. but im still doing some research. i ant my system to be more on the warm detailed side. id like to reveal more in the recordings. I was able to demo a nad 565 but on a high dollar Nad pre/amp combo and Thiel speakers it was very revealing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
i was reccomended the 550C as a good tranport, so in a few months I should be purchasing one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us