PORTABLE XiVA servers without computers?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 622
i'm really interested in potentially using a pronto style remote control for a bicycle trailer system next year, but know very little about the technology.

is there a system that's designed to be stand alone like the sonos units, but that doesn't require computers or hard drives?

what i'm looking for is something like a XiVA compatable pocket mp3 player or a server that can be battery powered and store music on an mp3 player or USB memory stick.

i also want to use uncompressed WAVs as i want a hifi system. i already have an 8gb cowon mp3 player that can do uncompressed WAVs, but i'd like something i can at least control volume remotely on WITHOUT infrared.

i like XiVA etc. style controllers with touch screens & displays a lot. that's the trick accessory i want to hook my handlebars up with.

could anyone suggest some gear that would meet my specific needs? at the moment, all i can imagine is spending a fortune buying a sonos system and hot rodding it to run off an expensive flash "hard drive" and voiding it's warranty. i'm hoping that there's a cheaper off the shelf solution that can take some bumping around & being close to an unshielded subwoofer.

i've had trouble trying to find info on search engines about the world of RF controlled music servers. all i find is various products when i'm looking for an overview.

many thanks in advance to anyone that can tell me there's a product designed to work EXACTLY like i want. i'm familiar with RF ipod remotes, but they look ugly (i have a custom bike) and don't work well either. i'd REALLY like to have a remote control touch screen.

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
can no one help? i'm really out of sorts when anyone starts talking blue tooth this and wifi that. i just want to be able to control uncompressed HQ audio from my bike's handlebars. there has to be SOME way to do it other than using a crappy sounding ipod and a butt ugly ipod remote. what about a "wifi transmitter" that lets me broadcast uncompressed digital data from a touchscreen media player to a wifi receiver?

i'm not looking for internet radio, i just want to be able to control MY TUNES from my bikes handlebars without compromising sound quality. please help!

all of this new tech mumbo jumbo is FRUSTRATING eg. the squeezebox system ALMOST looks like what i want, but it also looks like the touchscreen is the "media server" and can't be used on my handlebars.

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
look! a tumbleweed!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts