Amp for Dynaudio X32 - Primare i30 or MF A5

Username: Samstashamstas

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 1
Hi there, long time lurker first time poster.

I've got a pair of Dynaudio Excite X32's which I really like but require some real power to drive. Am looking for a matching Integrated Amp and CD player to go with them. I want to spend between 1000 and 1500 to spend on each (preferably second hand).

I listen to Jazz, Funk/Soul and Electronic music.

Looks are important to me as they are on display so was thinking the Primare i30 amp and CD31 would do the trick nicely. Alternatively I think the Msuical Fidelity A5 stuff could go well, it's going cheap after a couple of new models have come out but doesn't look so nice.

There are no dealers near me and since I would like to buy secondhand I don't want to waste their time so would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2851
I had an MF A5 which I loved. It appears to have gobs more power than the Primare and may suit your power hungry speakers better. Having said that, I don't know the Primare or how it handles speakers such as yours. I have no experience with either cdp's but synergy may be the best bet - or get a Rega Apollo or Saturn which are both excellent especially for what they can be had for now.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3624
Primare is very well made gear. If they claim certain specs, they're real world specs. I'm not sure of the specs, nor what the demands of your speakers are. I'd be willing to bet the i30 will drive any realistic speaker to sane levels in a normal to moderately large room.

I really want to like Primare, but its just a bit too distant and cool sounding to my ears. Its musical in its own way, I'm just not a fan of their presentation. I have a lot of respect for it as it does pretty much everything right, but its just not for me.

If this turns you off, MR can probably give a very good description of Musical Fidelity's sound. He owned his A5 for quite some time.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11915
I have not listened to the most recent generation of Primare amps but the way I understand it, they have made some significant steps forward. Could be worth a listen. Not sure if there is any on the second hand market. MF is well made but never rung my bell. Just a preference thing.

Username: Samstashamstas

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 2
Thanks a lot for your input guys. I went with an MF A5 which is a big improvement over the Roksan Kandy MKIII which I had before. Much better build quality, looks and finish and more authority with the Dynaudios.

Am going to go with a matching MF cd player, hope it will be fine.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2889
Congrats Sam, it's a fine amp. I'd still have mine if I didn't get a great opportunity to get a pair of Xindak mono blocs cheap. Not a big difference - each has it's pluses. I could have certainly lived with the A5 and in some ways maybe slightly regretting not keeping it - like how the Xindaks are like room heaters. Lol!

I heard the A5 cd/amp combo is great so long as you dampen the top enclosure of the cdp. Best to audition if you can though - lookwise it would be great, but having a Saturn it wouldn't surprise if it wasn't quite a bit smoother than the A5 cdp. But I could be wrong, I haven't heard the A5 cd player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us