Is this a good receiver/sale?

Max
Hello,
I am still searching for a new a/v receiver. I keep looking at the H/K 325, but its always good to keep the option open. How is the Marantz sr-5200? its rated 85x6 and I found it for 359$
Hawk you might have some insight..
Max

Kar
Here are some deals I found. FYI

H/K AVR 325 Deals:
BestPriceAudioVideo - $469 + shipping + no tax except OH
J&R - $499.88 + free shipping + no tax except NY

H/K AVR525
6th Ave - 574.77 + $14.05 shipping + no tax except NJ

Denon 3802
6th Ave - 649.00 + 6¢ Ground Shipping + no tax except NJ

Hawk
Max:

The 5200 was very well received in the English audio press, but many of the Marantz x200 series of receivers were real dogs, in particular the 7200 and the 6200. They had a woefully ineffective power supplies which really hurt their performance. They just didn't have any dynamic power. However, I must admit I have not heard any complaints about the 5200, so perhaps it is not plagued with the power supply problem. I just don't know. Furthermore, even with the problems, a lot of the 7200 and 6200 owners really liked the sound as long as they had very efficient speakers. The tonal quality is quite good.

I hope this helps.

Max
Hello,
Thank you Hawk and Kar, I like the price of that 525 from 6ave..Thats a steal..What is the better Marantz line? Those 5200+ have been the only models I could find, they are all reconditioned by the way, thats why they are so cheap.
Max

Tim
Max, Marantz have just released the x400 line and the x300 series are still available. I think the power issues and general build quality were sorted on the x300s (change of production premises). You can probably pick up a 5300 for a decent price now.

Hawk
Max:

Check out the Marantz authorized liquidator, accessories4less.com. They regularly have the 5300 and it is priced at $419.99 right now.

Max
Hello,
Thank you again Hawk and Tim.
Max

Hawk,

This is not to offend you. But I noticed that you've got so much information in your head regarding the pros and cons of A/V Receivers and other HT Gear. Just wondering, what's your basis for all of these information? No offense meant.

Hawk
nels76:

No offense taken. I have to admit that I am disabled and I have more time to spend on this than I would like. I am able to get out of the house, usually once a week, and I spend it looking and listening at audio gear as I want build a HT system in my house. It is my current passion as I have most other things pretty well set out for me. I have to buy things (components) one at a time as I don't have the $ to simply go out and buy the whole thing and be done with it. I have also made a few mistakes because I bought some gear (before I became disabled and was very busy with my life) that I later regretted. I have learned that some products are meant to get one's attention in the store, but it doesn't make for pleasant listening over time. So I am now taking my time to get what I really like, adding pieces to the puzzle one at a time. I am always on the lookout for a new product or feature that will be worth getting when I get the money.

Being largely housebound, I also surf the web alot for good deals on things I want. I just share my experiences and knowledge about products I have checked out since I am often available. I think you can appreciate I would rather be working, but since I can't, this is something I enjoy.

Besides, I get to talk to the nicest people on this forum!

Terri
Hey Hawk,
Back at ya! You are one of the nice guys! Thanks for all of your help and the time you take (for complete strangers) to call and check into audio
equipment for those of us who are novices. I am going to have to take all of what you, G-man, Kar Hipster (sp) and all of the others have shared and tuck it away for a few months. Just as I was ready to call and order our new equipment, we had a man come today to assess the cost of getting the trees removed from our property due to Hurricane Isabel. It goes like this...One tree=
one receiver, two trees=the receiver and dvd player....so, I will keep this site and I will check back with you as soon as we save up some more $. Thanks again everyone. If you are wondering, yes I am sad, but I am thankful, too. No one was hurt and they didn't hit our home. I guess this way I will REALLY appreciate the sound when we finally get it! :)

Johnb
Very cool thread. Hawk do you live here in the States or are you from Canada or England? Even though I do get on you a bit about your NAD obsession,I do respect your opinions. I consider myself a touch and I do mean just a touch, above a novice but I am still open minded and enjoy
hearing about new products and ideas. "Keep on keeping on" Hawk. Maybe one day, you'll even convince me to buy a NAD.

Max
Hey,
Well thats sad to hear Hawk... I am glad to see however that you stay positive. You are an inspiration for many. We all love hearing your insights and knowledge.
Your friend, Max

Hawk
See what I mean? I get to talk to the nicest people!

Terri:

I am really glad to hear everyone is OK. That is more important than a new HT system. Saw video of a lot of those trees down in your area on the news--I can appreciate your problem!

Johnb:

Yes, I live in the US. I recently relocated from San Francisco to Denver for better and more affordable medical care. Still learning about what is available here, audio-wise, and I am learning about a lot of new products (heard Krix speakers for the first time yesterday--really nice!). I try not to be too strident with my opinions because they are just my opinions, but if I do, forgive me. I enjoy hearing other's views, as well. Feel free to get on me all you want!

Max:

Staying positive is THE ONLY way to live! I am not sad about my condiiton because it beats the alternative. Just happy to watch my kids grow up.

Cheers all!

John A.
What a pleasure to read these views and opinions.
Thanks, Hawk, for sharing your extensive knowledge. I have learned a lot here, not just about audio.
John

Hawk,

Very well answered, Man.

Although I have different gears from what you've been recommending. But let's not have it as our Gap.

Cheers.

Kar
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_17141.htm

Update: saw the HK325 drop to $472 with shipping included at Onecall. You need to add to cart to get the lowest price.

Max
Hey,
Yeah now since the new models are coming prices will start dropping. I bet it will go for even lower pretty soon. Keep us posted on the price drops!!
Max

Kar
And I just bought it refurb'd

Max
Hey,
Thats ok Kar..Theres nothing wrong with buying a refurb. Its true of what they say that refurbs have a lower defect rate. Just think of it this way, the new receivers are probably just made and shipped. A refurb actually gets took apart and inspected so you know its been well inspected. Thats my opinion on refurbs.
Max

Anonymous
Get the HK325 at Costco.com for $449. (If you're a member) It's worth getting it there cause of the forever return policy. Use it for a year or 2, return it, re-buy the current latest and greatest model.

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=subcat%2Easp&catid=79&subid=80&hierid=3840&log=&NavTop=

Max
Hello,
wow cool thanks.

Hawk,Max Please give me your feedback
I put this message on another thread but didnt get any responses. Just pasting it again. After reading some of the other threads I feel HK-AVR325 seems to be a good choice. Can somebody help me with the speakers. Which speakers should I buy that will go well with AVR-325? I'm on a tight budget but at the same time dont want to be stuck with something that i may need to replace after a few years.

I'm a relatively new to the HT secne (well I hadn't even heard about some of the brands until I read this entire post). I'm about buy my first A/V Receiver & wanted some feedback. I always thought that the receiver is the most important part of the package but after reading, this post realized that speakers are more or equally important. I currently do not have anything setup so feel rather intimidated to post my query but I feel I would get very good feedback from you guys so here is my query. If I need to start building my first HT & I'm on a budget(about $500~$600). What receivers & speakers should I look at? I watch movies(90%) & listen to music(10%). I was initially leaning towards a Yamaha receiver (5650 or 5660). However, reading some of the posts I feel I should look at other receivers. How much should I spend on receiver & how much on speakers? Can I buy receiver/speakers in such a manner that I can later add subs/center channels etc?
Please give me your feedback.

Max
Hello,
Whew thats a tough one....Well for that budget I dont know if you can get a 325 and decent speakers too..Maybe the 225? Thats only about 240$ and that would still leave you with some money for speakers..Hawk will be able to give you more info about this too..I am not sure about good speakers for that price besides DCM..

Hawk
offdep:

Your budget is really tight--I have been there my friend, so don't despair. I have a plan.

First off, if you have to have everything right now, I can only suggest the following system from One Call which would be within your budget:

http://ww1.onecall.com/SPL_811.htm

However, I think you should simply start with a quality receiver and a pair of speakers, then add more speaker components to your system as you can afford to add them. I am not going to assign budget percentages to the different components because that has no relevance when purchasing at different times.

I would suggest that you currently spend the most money on a good receiver, together with a pair of speakers that you will use as your main speakers for the time being, then they will become your surrounds later on. As for a receiver, you do not want a low end Yamaha receiver--they are bright and edgy sounding and they have really wimpy power supplies. The 5650 or 5660 do not have pre-outs either, meaning you can't improve your system later on by adding a bigger outboard amp.

Given that you will use your system 90% for movies, I would suggest you get a Denon 2802 from DakMart (www.dakmart.com), which is a superb AV receiver, which had a MSRP of $799, but is now last year's model. DakMart has them for $389.98 (while supplies last). Then, get a pair of PSB Image 1Bs for $189.00/pair from DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com). This gives you essentially a $1200 stereo system for about half price.

Later, I would add the PSB 8C center speaker (MSRP of $299--can be had for $199) and then, when you have saved some more, get a pair of PSB Image 4T speakers (MSRP of $649, available from DMC for $449) for your new mains and use the 1Bs as your surround speakers. This is a really high quality system and it is directed specifically at your needs.

Your willingness to build your system in stages is a very intelligent way to go and I would encourage you to do it this way as you will end up saving a lot of money by not replacing pieces later on, but by adding them. You just need a road map of what you want and I have suggested one. However, I would encourage you to go out an listen to what I have suggested to see if you like it (I strongly suspect you will). You won't find a Denon 2802, but you will find the Denon 2803 and they sound exactly alike.

I hope this helps.

Hi All. Just purchased a Hitachi 51s500 and now want to get into the world of HT without breaking the bank. I was looking on Onecall.com (at Hawk's advice) and saw a refurb Onkyo TX SR700d in a package with 2 Infinity Entra 3 fronts, Infinity Entra Center Two, 2 Infinity Entra 2 surrounds, and a Phase Technology Power 12 factory renewed sub for $1272.82 + shipping. Any thoughts on this?
THanks
Boots

Hi Hawk,

Thank you very much for patiently responding to my queries. I will definitely try to listen to the combination you suggested. I had a few more questions based on your reply. I read a number of posts & found that the HK AVR325 is a very good model. Does this model fit my needs (90% movies + 10% music). If yes are the speakers you suggested for Denon 2802 work with AVR-325? Or do you suggest alternate speakers for AVR-325.

Thanks once again

Max
Hello,
Yes the 325 is a remarkable receiver that would fit your needs..I am not sure about the speaker match though, again Hawk will help you there...

Hawk
offdep:

I like the H/K--it is a fine receiver (BTW, H/K has come a long way since they were owned by a Japanese company--can't remember the name, but Harman International bought back the business about 8-10 years ago and have totally changed the product focus and upped the quality). However, H/K receivers are pretty laid back sounding and I haven't heard the PSBs with an H/K receiver--it may not be the best combo because as good as the PSBs are, they are somewhat laid back sounding, as well.

Well, for the H/K receiver, I might suggest something with a little more forward sound, such as Mission speakers. In particular, I would recommend you begin with the Mission M71s, which can be obtained from Kiefs (www.kiefs.com) for about $200/pair. Slightly smaller in box size to the PSB Image 1Bs, the Missions will produce a beautiful smooth sound with enough bass that you can have a nice stereo system for starters. Then add a matching Mission center speaker and later add M72s of M 53s for your mains (again moving the M71s to the rear surrounds). Subwoofer can remain a PSB as previously recommended or get a Mission sub (as a non-directional speaker, a sub does not need to be timbre matched).

You might also look into a Marantz receiver here:

http://accessories4less.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=9896893BEEUP4-EVEREST-13&ic=MAR+SR4300&cc=&tpc=

This would also work very well with the Mission speakers and it would be within your budget.

Cheers!

Hawk
Boots:

I would love to tell you something about the One Call system you saw, but I have not heard those Infinity speakers, so I can't opine one way or another. The Onkyo receiver, though is a good one, so I know it has good electronics. I will say that Phase Tech makes good subs and the price is very attractive.

Good luck!

Hawk,
Thanks for the thoughts. I've re-adjusted my goals now though. I'm going to use my Hitachi TV speakers for the center (for now) and some old PSB bookshelf speakers for the surround. So, now I'm looking for a good receiver, front speakers (towers if possible)and a sub. Budget is around $1,000. I need a phono input on the receiver and I listen to music 60%/Movies 40%. I've heard good things about the Onkyo TX SR700 and have seen it refurb'd for $435. I listened to it at a store through some Polk PR50 towers and thought the power was a little weak...up to 70 out of 100, and wasn't that loud. Threads on the Denon 2803 seem to point to a lack of warmth for music. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Boots
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us