Yamaha K-420 Cassette Deck....Ever Heard Of This Model?

Hello-
Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this model? I saw it being sold by someone on Ebay. I tried to get some specs on it but had no luck. Any input anyone has would be most appreciated!
Thanks!

Unregistered guest
If memory serves me correctly, that was one of Yamaha's lower end decks from the early to mid 1980's. I believe it was around $250-300.00 new US dollars. If you can find an old Nakamichi, Harmon Kardon or Tandberg, you'd be much happier.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
It was lower middle end. Not great but better than a Pioneer. Can't imagine you'll find a Tandberg that's still working and no one to repair them or parts to be had. Sony ES from the early 90's wasn't bad, just stay away from regular Sony. Last I heard Nakamichi had started to disavow they ever made cassette decks. Huh?!

Username: Dgb100

PA

Post Number: 3
The high end Yamaha decks were very, very good. The later ones with HX Pro, dbx and Dolby S could make outstanding copies that beat all but the perhaps the very top end Naks, for a fraction of the price. (The KX-690 new was 1/2 the price of a dragon new and used is about 1/5 the price) I have a middle of the road Nak (CR-2) and a Yamaha KX-690 (top end Yamaha) and the Yamaha kills it, especially when playing tapes in non Nak decks (a very real issue). The lack of HX Pro and Dolby S or dbx really hinders the Naks when compared against the last high end decks form Aiwa, Yamaha, Sony ES, TEAC, etc.

Look for KX-690, K-1020 (I think) decks. Make sure they are 3 head, 3 motor with Dolby S preferably, or dbx if you're just going to use the tapes on one deck. Recordings made with Dolby S sound outstanding on car decks that can only decode in Dolby B.

Username: Dgb100

PA

Post Number: 4
The high end Yamaha decks were very, very good. The later ones with HX Pro, dbx and Dolby S could make outstanding copies that beat all but the perhaps the very top end Naks, for a fraction of the price. I have a middle of the road Nak (CR-2) and a Yamaha KX-690 (top end Yamaha, retailed for slightly more than the CR-2) and the Yamaha kills it, especially when playing tapes in non Nak decks (a very real issue). The lack of HX Pro and Dolby S or dbx really hinders the Naks when compared against the last high end decks form Aiwa, Yamaha, Sony ES, TEAC, etc.

Look for KX-690, K-1020 (I think) decks. Make sure they are 3 head, 3 motor with Dolby S preferably, or dbx if you're just going to use the tapes on one deck. Recordings made with Dolby S sound outstanding on car decks that can only decode in Dolby B.

Username: Webbadgers

Post Number: 1
What about K-2000?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help