Mac 6900

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through June 26, 2009Nuck100

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2725
A good indication of the level of McIntosh customer service.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12748
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12749
You bet, David, the guy was concerned.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2726
I'm not really versed on reading impedance graphs, but to me that looks like its all over the place.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12751
Like Frank said...

Thats why I got the Mac to replace the Classe, which handled the speaker with aplomb.

I think maybe I ferked up...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12752
The Totems are a rare bird indeed, David, BUT..they play sooo well...like the best smaller speaker that I have ever heard and FELT! Just wonderful.

But if the Mac can't play them...well, then I have for sale a Mac for 4K or speakers for 3K.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12753
I have not yet talked to Totem on this, BTW

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2727
My instinct would be to hang onto the Mac, Nuck. Hopefully it's just a matter of the Mani's being a difficult load, rather than the Mac malfunctioning. Maybe sell the Mani's and and get an easy to drive speaker?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12754
I think so, David.
They are just too funky to drive at spl

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2728
Maybe you should turn it down?

Just kidding. If a Mac can't handler them, not sure what will. Maybe it's time for a 4B SST2.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12755
If i cannot overrun the speakers, something is wrong.
The Classe could overrun these Totems, but with lesser control, I believe.
Mani-2's for sale.

They will sell easily.

But now what?

mmmbbbwwwoooaaaahhhh

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2613
That would sit those fawking speakers down.lol. 4K would get you into the new sst2 too. The MAC should of handled them I would think. hmmm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2614
lol. Paradigm Signature S2's. oh ohh oh just nutted. Got to go clean myself.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2730
How about some RS6's? The Mac would grab those by the short ones.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2615
It sure would. Or Nuck, if you love the Totem sound which I can totally see why, why not just go down the line to something easier to power.

I dunno though David, what do you think Nuck would enjoy more? The RS6's or Totem'?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12756
The speakers just present too much of a load at near max, with too much feedback from the 4 bass drivers, plain and simple.
The Classe handled it ok, but thats history, I am keeping the 6900 because I like what the IA brings to the table. It is not a case of regret as I opened with, but adapting.
I will get my money back from the Totems, but I am unsure what to do next, speaker wise.

JV dragged out a Stereophile review following the izarre response curve that I posted, and the sensitivity was right there at 81db.

Yup.

I am just over driving the Mac.
Don't get me wrong, the setup is fine below extra-loud levels, and the amp is happy there, but I don't own stuff that cannot be opened up big time.
The mac is usually at about 2w, but...I like the whole package.

Something closer to the standard 87db, but with outstanding dynamics and 28db response is in order! No sub!
Don't forget the sweet high end for a deaf guy with the Mac.

Yes, I would like fries with that.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2731
I was thinking maybe of recommending the Sttafs, but they don't go near as low as the Manis do. But they are ridiculously easy to drive. I thought Nuck might like the RS6 better because I know he's missing a bit of hearing on the upper frequency range, and the RS6s resolve just a little bit better on the hight end. But the Sttafs, man... they're smoooooooooooth. Especially with a Mac, it's like liquid.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2732
"Yes, I would like fries with that."

Supersize me.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 611
Think Canadian Nuck......

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak100207.shtml

or, maybe something from Role Audio....

http://www.stereomojo.com/Role%20Enterprise%20Speaker%20Review/RoleEnterpriseSpe akerReview.htm

or something else wonderful and easy to drive....

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue26/devore_gibbon.htm

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2727
This is too frigging weird?

I listened to an near identical arrangement (MA7000/Mani-2 sig) and was floored by what I heard, albeit I might have spend only 20-mins. in the room, that time was magic.

Maybe their rig never gets more than a few song workout?

I still can't get my head around that Mc can't handle the Mani2?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12758
Chris, thanks for the links, I have not seen 2 of them.

CM, the Mac doesn't like the load of the Totems, few amps do.
remember, this is at the limit that the Mac gets so hot, the very limit.
But the amp shuts off.
I am going o put some air under the 6900 for convection uptake and try the 2 ohm taps to see what happens, giving away some of the current that the Totems demand.
Still undecided.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2728
...but it's a McIntosh? This isn't supposed to happen.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12759
Well it does happen, CM, because...

The mac is protected from DC feedback.
It is protected from DCfeedback.
It is protected from stupidity and shorts
It is protected from most communicable diseases, in fact, but not from prolonged exposure to a load that it cannot handle.
Thus, it is protected from over temps by shutting down.

So it does what it is designed to do..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2729
It's strengths are it's Achilles' heel. Let me know when you've tried the 2 ohm taps.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2018
like the best smaller speaker that I have ever heard and FELT!

You can only "FELT" a speaker with elevated SPLs.

I think it is your room. Too many reflections will not always eliminate frequencies but can diminish them as well as cause peaks at the listening position. What if you are in a situation where your room is too lively? I think you will recall from my several posts on various threads that as I added the stacked cutting boards (thanks David or Chris for that one) under my speakers I gained more energy from them, thus having to drive the amp less. When I built the JV tube traps with fiberglass rolls my room got quieter and my amps became more efficient. Same with the isolation of my gear, the tube rings, weighting the pre-amp, and finally the ASC tube traps. Each and every change added control to the room or better stated defeated the negative things that were occurring with reflection and vibration which allowed more energy of the sound to reach me without additional gain on the pre-amp (or amps).

Having said that why haven't you just gone out and picked up a set of Gallos? You know what they are, you know how they play with MAC, and you freakin' love what they do!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12762
I dont have the 4500$ or I would, actually.

The room treatments would help, Mike, without a doubt, but I am really looking at the systems ability to play near the limits for longer periods.

My room opens to one small window into the back yard, and I have that open for tunes when I am in the back garden drinking beer and pulling weeds.

This will be tested today, as the beer is chilling and I can HEAR the weeds growing D'oh!

I have raised the amp, using 4 hack'n'sacks, beanbags, and weighted the amp with some mass.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12770
Actually, Mike, the slam is there with 2W, and it is incrementally harder and faster from there, pretty much linear.
Fab at high levels, but not for long...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12772
Just listed the Totems for sale.

Now open to standmount speaker ideas with outstanding slam and bass response with extended high end response.

And fries with that!

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1156
This sounds weird to me.....but consider the source.

Time to stretch out for those Gallo's that you covet?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12773
Let me check with my banker/car repair/divorce lawyer and get back toyou...another 1K for the bass amp, too...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12774
My dealer has a demo pair of 3.1's and an amp.

No longer available anywhere, as the 3.5's are being held up, which means that I will be held up (at gunpoint) as well.

Sigh

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12776
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12480&p=176149#p176149

hehehe

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12777
CM, running the 2 ohm taps today.
The knob is at 2pm trying to get some groove, but there is none. Just sucks the life out of the music, regardless of volume. The bass is mushy, the mids are now wonky and uncaring, as compared to the snap and focus from before. The sharp accurate and sweet highs went on strike.

It aint good.

And this is on vinyl!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12778
The amp is running cold, likely in protest.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2733
Well that's that.

Have you been able to get a hold of anyone from Totem? What do they have to say about the situation? Do they have a preferred amp for the Mani2?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12781
No word till Monday, when I will be in New Jersey.

JV and I kicked it around a bit, the speakers are the problem, of course, they are just too much for the amp at long max.

The speakers are going to go, cause I am not getting another Classe amp to go on the floor.

Perhaps this will be a testiment to the power and capability of Classe amps. The ca300 never had a problem with the stupidest of speaker loads.
I would be interested in seeing what some othr amps would do with the Totems at max. Might be a bit revealing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2734
I'm going to see what I can find out from The Stereo Exchange hear in NYC, that's where I listened to the MA700/Mani2-sig set-up, maybe they can shed some light on the matter?
Some suggestions...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1249492907

http://ayselectronics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5425

Where in NJ will you be? When?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12785
Vineland, opening on Monday.
Playing all week, try the dinner!

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 67
Nuck, I did a search for your Manis on CAM and they didn't show up because "Totem" wasn't in the subject line. You might want to consider adding it for people using search rather than scrolling.

I'm sure you'll sell them quickly. I'm tempted myself, but then I'd have to upgrade my baby Bryston....that way lies madness...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12790
Thanks Frank, I am revisiting the ad today.

I got the info from my dealer on the Gallo 3.1 ref speakers.
I have to sell the vintage Mac set, the Totems and maybe some other spare stuff to make it neutral or better.
Next weekend I will bring the Gallo's home to try, and likely buy.
A few of us know the speakers, of ocurse, and I went down this road before, but never pulled the trigger, I think I will this time.

They are still small enough, and the side firing woofer makes deep placement an option that I have to try.
They are better with lots of air around them, but they broadcast so well, and my room is small enough to support them, I think.
Very easy to drive as well, and we know that Mac is very happy with them.

As the Table Turns...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12791
This thread sure wanders around, thanks for keeping up and contributing guys.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12795
Silver Gallo's are boxed up, brand new sub amp in black is also ready.
this weekend for pickup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2740
BINGO! Congratulations! Did the Totems sell?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2276
You sending the Totems to the Gallos, Nuck?

Well, now you'll feel at home at Mike's and vice versa.

Congrats, by Mike's definition you're sure to be treated to some fine sound.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10096
Congrats Nuck...should be fun.

I found an old link where my Creek amp was used to break in Mani-2's. Must be something about the Mac and the Mani's that didn't jive. I'm bettin' the Gallo's will be awesome for you...pics when you get them set up aight dude!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12796
CM,a few leads on the Totems, but price is firm, so I can wait. Including the stands, so that is enough for now.

hehe MR, well done.

Art, if the Creek could run in the Totems, it would be the tweeter alone, I think, the bass is 200w +, or so it seems, and thank you, yes I will have pics up!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10099
That's what I thought Nuck however there is more than one place that I've read that. I'd have to see it to believe it...but the one guy I know is adamant...whatever right.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2026
If the Gallos don't work it may be time for fiberglass rolls, auralex, ASC panels, thicker carpet, and a few of Peter Belt's free tips.

One nice thing about the Gallos is that you really do not have that front wall to back wall crossfire reflection to mess with. One critical thing for me was the first step in speaker placement, finding the best bass placement. I did the walk from the front wall to the seating position counting down from 100. Where my voice changed I stopped walking and dropped the speakers there. Then it was inching front and back a bit using Tool 10,000 Days to dial in realistic bass (deep but fast, not bloated not weighting down the pace).

You know the rest of the drill.

Congrats & Cheers!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12797
Thanks, Mike. I will get an idea of how the room sounds, and what I can put where.
I never noticed if your sub amp gets hot?
Not sure where to place it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2617
COngrats on the Gallo's Nuck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12799
Thanks, Nick, pickup soon!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2027
Sub amp never gets hot. Goes wherever you want it to. I have it on the carpet with Jenga tiles below MDF below amp, 1/2" in headroom from top of rack which I moved to floor to wit I added a 50lb bag of sand which supports MDF and my pre-amp on racket balls on neoprene caps.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12801
It reads like an animated Rube Goldberg thing, but I dig.
I bought the amp without knowing anything about it, except that it works well to the task, and it's active.
Odd huh?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12802
I am paying tax so far, but I think an opening sale on Friday am might sweeten it up by a couple of cables or so.
The guy is reasonable.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2028
Its Friday AM, where's our update?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12810
Michael! Go to sleep or Santa won't come!

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 825
Hey there Nuck. A big congrats! Just caught this thread. Well as a number have said, get some picks up when you have them. Nice step. You and Mike can compare notes.

Cheers,

G

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12813
On my way to pickup here, George.
Here's the shop...

http://www.alternativeaudio.ca/

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12814
And yes, the experiences that I have shared at Mike's place really helped a lot, as did spending some time with Jan's setup and hospitality.
Meeting people makes references on these pages more real and concrete.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2030
Sure, off Rega CDP bashing on another thread instead of staying on task here.

Where's the beef???

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12819
Have you had coffee now?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12822
I am just a little innundated with speakers, boxes and stuff right now, I iwll have the Gallos in place this evening.
Pic's to follow, I have a date to keep.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12823
Oh well, the Gallo's are in play.
The bass is a muddy mess.(I plunked them down anywhere).The bass drivers are pointed at the stand, well, one is.
The liquid midrange is there, at least on 'Hotel California', cd.
As epecte, the brilliant tweeter of the 3.1 is sooooo right.
I nominate this mylar curved array into the tweeter hall of fame.
One ribbon cannot do what this one does.
There is absolutely not transition to componant crossovers(there being none to speak of), just smooth scaling across the board, and any octave.is just a nano second away.
Wow!
I am feeling out the room nd placement as I clean up and vacuumn styrofoam bits(shite).
The sub amp is NIB and waiting till tomorrow, or after a Scotch(no turntable

i am very impressed so far, because all I wanted was the solid mids and highs, and I am not disappointed.
I know exactly what these can do when placed for bass response, with or without the bass amp.
Fortuntely, I bought a spiffy new bass amp, so the neighbors are gonna get a dose of it very soon.

My brother in law is finally gonna like a set of speakers that I own, cause these are solid vocals and strings speakers, man.

I will clean up and plce them a little bit, remember that my house is smaller than Mikes room.

Cheers, mates!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2034
Hey Nuck, I know I said diffusion outside of the woofer, if you end up pointing them out, however on my left speaker I have both, with just record shelving diffusion on the right speaker.

So I guess it could be either or (or both?).

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2280
Onya Nuck!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12826
ty, tyvm.

Boston on the table, and sounding sooooo good!

Silver Member

Post Number: 828
Wonderful Nuck. Both you and Dave are have a little audio heaven tonight. Nice to hear the boys got new todays.
I expect these are keepers Nuck...you'll have them into retirement???

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2749
Let's see some pics Nuck (after you tidy up the bachelor pad).

Silver Member

Post Number: 832
Tidy up...does that mean kick his pants and gatch in the corner and the beer bottles under the recliner...the bachelor life...a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...for me anyways. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12835
Mostly audio gear all over the place.
Mac's and lp's and stuff.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2036
Sounds about right!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12837
Mac's scattered around, Totems and stands, huge speaker cages to put somewhere, but not on the speakers!
Here's why.

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12838
Ain't it purdy?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 616
Looks pretty sweet Nuck. Are you getting them dialed in ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2748
Jealousy level rising...rising...rising...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12839
She has a twin sister!!!

Gotta do some stuff first, CH, then play time this afternoon.
When I have placed them, then I will bring in the sub amp.

I don't have the best bits to tap the preout from the Mac, so I will run the subamp on high inputs, which seemed fine with 6moons.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo5/ref31.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12840
The xylophone on Robert Palmer's 'looking for clues' gives me the impression of being passed out under the instrument itself, just fully encompassing and involving. What great fun!

The Mac lights will flash on occasionally, with the meters still bending 200w.
Oh, man, this room is soooooo bad.
Working on that!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2753
Very, very nice Nuck. Better than the Mani's?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12841
Lots to do before a comparo, David.
not yet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12842
So far, the only comparison is on paper.
The Totems are rated at 120W, and I fed them 250W from the Mac easily(not easy on the amp).
I ran the Mani2's with a 600wpc Classe amp as well, sooo...

The Gallos are willing for a rated 350w, and I have seen them eat a whole lot more at Mikes place.

The response of the Totems was geometric with input power, the more the better, and they moved a lot of air and space.

But for the hear and now, I will have to move the Gallos around a bit, plus put them on the hardwood slabs that I am away to pick up.

But short story shorter, the Gallo's CDTII tweeter is the finest piece of sweet engineering that I have ever heard. Period. Just slack-jawed at the response to the slightest cymbal tick, and seamless in any transition.

Do I sound happy?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2037
Upload

Nuck, plug this into the back of your 6900 RCA outs and go RCA to the S/A out of the top feed and loop back to your amp in out of the straight feed if you want to experiment. I do not run the high inputs so I cannot comment. Maybe we can try that out next time you stop over.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12846
Mike, these came with the subamp, have not tried yet.
Taking small steps, amp still waiting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2620
Just saw the pics. My pants moved all by themselves.lol Very sweet Nuck. Blue meters everywhere. Gallo's look hot to trot.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12851
Big, honkin' bi-amped 10" woofers, baby!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12853
Tarzan use 2nd preout for sub amp. grunt grunt

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12856
Well, kinda as expected, adding a 250WPC subamp changes the game a little bit, hehe.

Folowing simple setup guide from the very clear instructions in the manual make things easy.

0 phase, no boost and pick your volume level. Nice!

This little bass amp makes a great deal of power, being mated to it's purposly designed load.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2041
Inquiring minds want to know...

Where do you have the cross over set at?

Have you experimented with the phase controls?

Have you tried using the booster?

Are the levels L & R matched?

Woofers in or out?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12857
40Hx, 0 phase, flat on the boost as per manual, same L+R, still inward facing, I will work on placement with the hardwood plinths picking up today.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12858
And George, before you go on about the single guy thing too far, please bear in mind...

I just cleaned out the vacuumn cleaner filter.
Changed furnace filter
vacumn/Dust
ran laundry

I am currently having a beer and sorting the absolutely vast collection of odd socks.

In my boxers.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2042
how hard can it be to sort socks when they're all some whiter shade of pale?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12859
I will have you know that I seperate my whites.

The subamp is adding a whole lot to the music at 2 watts.v/c on the sub is high noon.

Great response and speed.
This is better than 90% of he subs I have heard.

These have to be JLAudio bass drivers.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2043
Wait until you have some good lower end double bass or organ music. The cohesiveness is what makes this better than any sub / sat combo or sub / full range that I have heard.

Try the Telarc 1812, not for the canons but for the entire experience. Once you have the hardwoods and placement set of course.

All it states on the Gallo site for the woofer drivers is "Custom 10" dual voice coil bass driver "

Here is something for you to read;

http://www.10audio.com/gallo_ref3-1.htm

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12860
Thanks, Mike.
I had company yesterday, and the guys were really impressed, and that is without placement.

But these guys arent on forums, but not because of ignorance.
My BIL has heard all my setups, and tons more.

He loves these speakers, and that was before the subamp.

All midrange searing guitar presentation, on Colin James' 'Stay'
Smoking guitar riffs on max emotion, and I got it all.

Very happy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12862
The little round-sound mids sure do pack a punch!!!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10113
Just back from a little out-of-towner...looks like you received the Gallo's and are pleased...excellent!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12868
It's a blast, Art, thanks.
I am headed out of town for a week or 2, but everything will be right where I leave it.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3354
Just got back on Friday. While the spa in the Finger Lakes (Central NY wine country) wasn't my idea nor a place I'd have considered, it was an excellent trip.

Back to the Gallos...

Those are a speaker that has always intrigued me. Only heard them once in an unfamiliar shop with unfamiliar stuff.

How efficient are they? Would say a 60 watt Bryston integrated amp be capable of running them sufficiently? If its pushing it, how about with the sub amp?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2047
Stu P, the Gallos love power. I thought myself a bit daffy going form 300+wpc to 80+wpc but it's working for me. Before I had the 2nd amp so I could bi-amp the 40wpc were good for quiet listening or music which was mostly non-amplified. Even with the 80wpc I find myself occasionally having to trim down the volume as I start getting distortion from the tubes, and that is with the 240 wpc sub-amp running the 2nd coil.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3355
Thanks Mike. I really love my Yaras, but was just thinking out loud about 2 moves ahead.

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 70
congrats on the Gallos. Life's been good to you so far...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10122
Ahhh and if you decide on Gallo's Mr Stu...think Art may be interested in those AP's...ya know... somewhere down the road a couple a moves!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3356
If I ever have to get rid of them, you'll be the first to know Art.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3688
Hmmm, I'm surprised that the Gallos come close to being as good as the Totems. My (very little) experience with Gallos is that they don't do what the Totems do.

Still, on the subject of the Mac thermalling out, I'm not too surprised I guess. My 80wpc Naim NAP250.2 hasn't thermalled out on me yet, but I think you play music a LOT louder than me for longer.

All that said, my Mani-2s may also be looking for new owners soon. All will be revealed in the next few weeks.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3358
My opinion of the Mani-2s is that they're a phenominal speaker (one of the very best I've heard, regardless of price) that's just way too hard to drive. If even a 200 wpc Mac doesn't have enough drive, its just not worth it IMO.

I'm guessing a pair of Bryston 28B SST mono blocks (1kw) will drive 'em just fine at $18k per pair.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2754
The Mani-2s I heard were hooked up to a MA7000 (250-wpc). In this case, that extra 50-wpc makes all the difference I guess?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12882
It was really just finally the mismatch that did it.
I don't need to own anything that works very nicely at 80%, I want it to be 100% and as faisafe as possible.
I could not live with having to run back and check the amp temp in a party, really.

The Totems are truly oustanding speakers, and in the right context(which I believed I had) they are wonderful.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2755
I can't blame you one bit Nucko.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2049
Going back up a bit to what I posted earlier only saying it differently this time.

If I were to compare the McIntosh 7300 at 300 wpc plus when it was in my room before I did anything to make the room and set up not be so inefficient...

To my room with isolation, dampening, diffusion, absorption, and Peter Belted and the McIntosh 80 wpc mono-blocks I am running right now....

I would say I am getting more sound today with the same source, pre-amp, and speakers with the mono-blocks and the room "right". The PRAT is also nearly spot on. My ears are not good enough to recognize any better than I have it now.

That certainly is not to say that it cannot or will not get better, that is what this sport is all about.

Right?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2050
Frank, I have heard similar from others regarding the Gallos. Without knowing how broken in they were or what they were driven with it is uncertain to me if there really was an issue with the speakers.

The first time I heard them with Quicksilver Audio tubes I was not impressed either. I bought them out of trust for my dealer. Turns out he had not set the amps up properly and I was never disappointed with those same demos I brought home. FWIW.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2290
that is what this sport is all about

Sport???

What sport Mike - Oh yeah, I got it - Mac lifting!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12887
Well, had a week away, so today I just got home after a 8 hr drive, left Ohio at 4 am, so the beer is cold here!
First real try at cranking it up and tuning the sub amp for volume.
The sub amp volumes are at 1am/pm, all is flat, no boost.
The Mac is not showing gurd lights, but will if I do anymore.

The subject source is Apollo playing David Wilcox, a very well recorded GH. ALL of Wilcox library is well recorded, cept for the odd snap/pop/wonk that sounds like a speaker problem at volume. Keeps you on your toes.

The volume of all frequencies increases with the big bass for some reason. I thought the chassis was quiet inert by all accounts, with the internal mobile damping covering the bases, but the whole thing becomes somethng different at showtime.

Very interesting and it sounds outstanding, room notwithstanding.

Cool!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12892
Speakers still facing each other, thats next, point them out toards the wall, 2' away.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12895
swapped sides today, and what a difference, of course.
The swap makes no differeence to the mains, of course, but now having the bass drivers facing a short stop(2') the bass response is very nicely muted as compared to the inward firig boom.
On one side I have accroutements to break up the wave a bit, on the other I have fukall, but I have a date toorrow.

The bass is thourougly muted in this setup, with very little heard, but some felt.
The bass amp is still flat and null, so I will try this configuration and play with the bass a bit.
Again, the added bass response wakes up these speakers like a bugle call at a Cubscout campout, with weenies and beans, it just changes everything.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12901
Just a small tweak of the bass amp makes the place feel like frontstage.

If i turn up the bass on these Gallo's...well...these have o be JL Audio drivers..the look, the drive.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2311
Having some fun aren't you, Nuck?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12904
Large, M.R.

Large

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12905
Beyond this sweet spot the whole HOUSE is full of the sweet music.
I can duck behind a cuboard and it is the same. Same behind the closet, or head in the cabinet.
I mean, this sweet sound just is everywhere!
It is kinda weird, but going downstairs kills the mojo, but down there, the rythm section is so fine!!!

I have never owned such multi-dimensional speakers that do so much, so well. (with added amp and cost).

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 617
How would you compare the midrange to the Totem's Nuck ? It's clear you're a big fan of the tweeter, but how 'bout the mids ? What would you compare them to that you've heard ?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10185
Nuck is livin' large!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12914
Ya mon!

CH, that's a tough one to really describe.
I have a hard time describing what I hear sometimes.

The mids on the Gallos are prevelant, being in twin pairs. These orbs are not ebcumbored by crossovers, and are really surprisingly light in delivery. Light doesn't mean lacking, mind you, just seems that the voices come from all around the space, in no way directional, and in no way is there any step in transition to the 2.5Kh region.
I might well be proved wrong by a response graph, but I cannot find dips or boosts anywhere.
The mids and tweeter being in such a 'pod' arrangement, keep things tight, to be sure, BUT, the mids are large and generous in the seated position, as is the wonderful tweeter.
Here's the thing.
While the tweeter is very wide, with 270 deg field dispersion, it falls away pretty dramatically when you stand up.
Yes, there is a sweet spot.
The music does not fail in any way from either position, mind you, the place is very full, but that standing up transition can make you sit back down.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 619
Thanks Nuck. From a tonal perspective, would you say they are neutral ? lean'ish ? warm'ish ?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12937
oops!

I have to say neutral, CH.
Cautious dialing in of the sub amp is the most useful tool, in my room the speakers sound remarkably even in sound field.
But only on the horixontal plane, vertical is a challenge, as I noted above.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2066
Vertical is only a challenge if you are short. Adding addition layers of base affects vertical dramatically. The cones at the speaker base should have the rear ones dialed all the way in then tuned with the front ones which affect the tilt angle of the drivers towards the listening position. The finest tuning then is the side to side angle to off set floor imbalance.

Quit being so hard on yourself, you're not that short, so put the phone books away, you really do not need to sit on them no matter how bad she hurt you.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12942
Ain't nobody hurts this boy no more.

If I ever get back home, I will play with the tilt, Mike.
I have been working around the room, deciding on treatments to try, as I read along.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12993
Sold a bit of kit last night, so cash in pocket and a hot date.

Playing with the sub amp a bit. The crossover has been min all along, no phase and +3 gain.

Right now it is 0 phase, flat gain and 65Hz on the crossover, which is working nicely.
The bass is the same, with the bass volume at 3/4.

Next I am gonna run volume at WOT and trim the gain. I remember Jan suggesting that, and Mike liked it? A pain to trim the bass with an instrument requiring digital dexterity to trim for each LP, with Sinatra and Scotch, but I give it a go.

This is a nice subamp for a DIY, and I recommend it. Whether worth whatever price you may find it for is up to you.

I would buy another for 700$ in a heartbeat and mono block them!

It has a fan..sigh. Runs on a timer, it seems, as well as heat. The thing is always stone cold, but I looking right down the fan hole and it pises me off.

2 of them would put amps on the floor again. Hmmm...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13766

"Next I am gonna run volume at WOT and trim the gain. I remember Jan suggesting that, and Mike liked it?"

Not sure what you're saying I suggested here.

What's "WOT"? "Wide Open Throttle"? It sounds like you're trying too hard to killl the backyard weeds with bass.

The gain is there only to allow for system matching, it should be set at 0 and only increased if you cannot obtain sufficient level with the volume pot. You can also think of it as being similar to a guitar amplifier; if you increase the gain, you are putting more signal into the front end of the amplifier and risking overdrive distortion. IMO keep the "gain" control at 0 unless you need a bit more voltage to match the output of the pre amp - which shouldn't be necessary with the McIntosh.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12997
By removing the volume pots at open and reducing the gain, shouldn't I get a cleaner signal with less front loading?
That was my thinking.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12998
Simpler path was my reasoning.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13768

"By removing the volume pots at open and reducing the gain, shouldn't I get a cleaner signal with less front loading?"

Sorry, I don't think I really know what that means. When the volume pot is at full rotation it is typically out of the circuit as far as resistance goes. It is still in line as far as connections go. The gain is still the second pot in the signal path no matter its position. Sonically this isn't a big deal considering the frequency range the sub operates in.

If you think the voltage output of the Mac is overdriving the input stage of the sub amp, then trim the gain pot until you hear clean response. Otherwise, the two level controls make for a more complicated signal path and what I would consider to be a more complicated set up that is somewhat confusing to many users. With the amount of control provided by the volume pot and the input sensitivity of the amplifier it would be an unusual system that requires the extra gain or the decreased level from the additional pot.

Either way you try it the signal path has to pass through both potentiometers and there is probably a buffer stage in the front end of the amp to make certain the driver stage doesn't get bogged down by too much impedance as the controls are adjusted. So I would say the only problem would be a very hot pre amp that would really overdrive the front end of the amplifier - that shouldn't be the Mac though it does have a higher than normal output level.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13001
The 8v from the Mac is pretty hot, for sure.
The Gallo SA specs from the manual show input sensitivity at 130mv stereo, 110mv mono.
That don' jive, but it works great!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13080
I had another call from a kid who was looking at the Totems, and he was sure his Sony receiver would drive them. He said it had guts.
When will real buyers step up to the plate?
I have to agree with TW fom a past post.
Why buy speakers that demand a max amp?

But they sound sooooooo good.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2076
what, you haven't hooked up strvyn with those yet?

Dude, you know that his MAC is killing his Paradigms, what are you waiting for?

Don't go worrying none now stryvn, if you think you need more power just get another 7300. LOL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13116
Mrs. Stryvn offered continued wonderful wifedom in place of more gear.

Dude, didn't you fix the Paradigm's?

I think I found a home for the Mani-2's, close to a hydro-electric generating station.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us