Yamaha RX-V590 swap w/ RX-V530

I curently have a Yamaha RX-V590 as the brains of my home theater. Even though I paid tons of money for this unit and it works great, it doesn't have Dolby digital or DTS. I found a great price on the RX-V530 at Tweeter and am thinking of swapping the old one out.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the 530?
I am figuring that the Dolby digital and DTS will outweigh the awsume specs of the 590. Does anyone have any thoughts on the "down grade"?

I need a owners manual for a Yamaha RX-V590

I too need an owners manual for a Yamaha RX-V590
Can anybody help please??

elitefan
Greg,
If you are going to switch receivers you can do alot better than Yamaha. Yamaha's are underpowered when driving a 5.1 channel system which takes alot of power in dolby digital or dts.
I would like to know your budget so I can recommend something specific but generally NAD, Marantz, Elite, Rotel, H/K and Onkyo/Integra have much better power supplies than Yamaha and a fuller,richer sound. Also what speakers are you using?

G
Greg,

Stay with the Yamaha. Much better quality than the Marantz, Elite....and definitely the Onkyo. God I don't why people push the Onkyo on this board. Complete you know what. Quality issues galore. NAD's are great but over priced. You can pick up the Yamaha rx-v1300 which is better than what your curretnly looking at on Etronics for something like $550. As far as weak powering a 5.1? Remember, your mostly getting advice from guys here trying thinking of ways to drive 10,000 dollar speakers in a room that is 70 by 70. You'll also hear people say that Yamaha produces a harsh sound (another lie from people who have never heard Yamaha receivers). Take my adive for what it's worth....myabe a penny or two.

G

elitefan
Greg,
My above posting is based on 30 years of experience in this area and as a former Yamaha lover. The above post is just so off the mark it's beyond belief. I have never had a 70x70 room and who does? For anyone to say Yamaha is better than Elite, Marantz etc is nuts. Why does my 25 year old Yamaha amp sound better than todays Yamaha? Read any review of a Yamaha and look at the multi-channel power rating. This is important in the digital era when watching movies. Yamaha power supplies are much weaker than Marantz, Elite, NAD, H/K and Rotel. If you don't believe it just find and read the specs. They speak for themselves. Aind remember I am a former Yamaha lover and booster so I have no ax to grind.

JR
Yamaha owner's manuals are available on their web site:
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/gAVR00010

I don't have 30 years of experience, but I have had the RXV-595 for 3 or 4 years now and I love it. I believe it was the least expensive Yamaha with Dolby Digital at the time. I think it has great sound - plenty of power.

G
Eltefan,

Not trying to bust your balls. I just find it so funny reading these posts having people tell others what is a better "sounding" system? Sorry, but it's a bunch of crap. It's like trying to tell someone that your band is better than their band. It's a matter of taste, that's it. For you to say Elite, Marantz, etc is "better" than Yamaha is crap. Yamaha makes a more reliable product, that's just a fact. If you are saying that NAD, HK, Marantz systems last longer and break less then you either don't know what your talking about or your lying. HK is crap....always has been always will be. Just a fact.....junk, DTS issues, power on and off issues...just a frinken nightmare. For a person who needs great sound, isn't trying to pump a system with a useless 800 watts, and wants a system that works always there is no better buy for the price than Yamaha. Simple.

G

elitefan
G,
Your post is so full of erroneous B.S it's hard to believe you have ever heard any of these products before. Do you remember the receivers and amps Yamaha built in the 70's? If you do then you could tell the difference in them and what they build today.[unless you are deaf] To say what you did about H/K shows your complete ignorance of the history of audio products and belies the last 50 years of history. What is a fact is that Yamaha power supplies are measurably inferior to NAD, Rotel, Elite, Marantz and even Denon. As I said before look it up. When did I say I wanted a system with 800 watts? Not that that is a bad thing; it,s certianly no something Yamaha could do. If you want a receiver that measures 35-40 watts driving 5 or 6 channels then buy a Yamaha. If you want 75 or more watts in multichannel buy a better, more powerful receiver like the brands mentioned. Maybe when you grow up you will appreciate the finer things in life, like a good reciever.

elitefan
G,
One more thing. You are of course free to voice your opinion or buy whatever you want but you are not free to call me a liar. My opinions are based on fact and personel use of many brands of equipment. When you can say the same you can insinuate whatever you want. Tell then keep your name calling to yourself.

Wow, what a debate.
I do like my RX-V590 except for the fact it doesn't have DD or DTS. I did have a Denon before the Yamaha and loved it.
My room is about 15 x 21.
I have a JBL 15 inch powered sub, 4 Celestion MP-1s and matching Celestion center.
My primary objective is to get good 5.1 surround and a reasonable price. Tweeter was offering the RX-V530 for $200. I thought this was a great price for the performance.
I am currently finishing off my basement an will put a high powered system down there so I was just interested in taking advantage of DD & DTS.
With this additional information, are there any further comments?

G
Eltefan,

You are basing the quality of a receiver on the power supply? Ok, your free to do what you want but anyone in their right mind would tell you that the power supply is not the sole quality measure of a receiver. If you do then your ignorance shines through and posters on this board would be good to stay away from your advice.

Greg, now that you have posted your budget limit your asking alot for a reliable and good sounding receiver. If you could up your limit to say 400 then your closer to getting a unit that is great, has some expandibility and will last you for at least the next 4 or five years. Go www.etronics.com and search in that price range. If you are locked into the 200 range then you are completely out of the range of Denon, Marantz, etc...but I would stay away from them anyway. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

elitefan
G,
I guess you don't understand the fundamentals of audio reproduction so I would advise posters to ignore your stupidity as exemplified by your statement to stay away from Marantz. If you think that Yamaha is superior to Marantz then you are truely a total moron. Maybe you could get a job at Best Buy and sell the Yamaha,s to high schoolers who love their gimmicks and don,t know any better. Power supplies are not the only factor but are much more important than having 48 or more dsps modes that do nothing but distort true reproduction. Did you ever pick up that I am a former Yamaha fan or did that pass by your limited comprehension?

G,
I'm not limiting my self to the $200 range. The RX-V530 origionally sold in the $500 range. I thought about this unit because the store was offering a 50% off sale. So I posted this origional note not knowing anything about the 530.
I do want to say that although my 590 performs very well, I do hate the sound effect feature that Yamaha adds. I do not like paying for unecessary features.
I have talked to "experts" at better quality stores and the consistent advice I got was to go with Yamaha for surround sound as the primary use and go to Dennon if Audio is the primary use. For this price range I am told that they are the top two. My Dennon DRA-400 has lasted 20 + years and from the looks of the quality components used in my RX-V590, it will probably last as long. Here is the kicker, most brands have their high and low brands. My fear is that the RX-V530 is Yamaha's low end in which the quality of components used are much less then the higher end units. But even at that, I'm thinking this unit should be far better than any other unit in the $200 - $350 range.
If you can't tell, I'm hung up on getting a good deal.

g
Greg,

I picked up a rx-v1300 for something like 550 and I like it. Eltefan is correct about the million useless DSP modes, etc. You'll find about 6 that you'll like and you'll stick to them. I have a Marantz sr7300. I would take the Yamaha over it right now. The Yamaha sounds cleaner to me and I've had better luck with them on the quality side.

G
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us