DVD Player: Video Scaling/SACD/DVD-A

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 231
Looking at a factory refurbished Denon DVD-2910 for approx $500US. Anyone have any experience with these types of DVD units?

It has everything I want in the Faroudja video chip and Burr Brown DACs, and it's a great price on the unit from an authorized dealer, but I'm scared of making the purchase.

Anyone have some advice or recommendations on a similar unit that won't cost more than my receiver? (HK AVR430)

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
I'm going to buy the 2910 for $975 in store if no one talks me out of it.

I can't make use of the dvi/hdmi outputs now but will in the future, as well as the video upscaling for hdmi. The 8X oversampling progressive, and burr-brown DACs are attractive... and really I haven't seen anything that comes close without hitting $2000. I've been puting it off since HD-DVD is right around the corner. But on second thought realized it would be too expensive to buy a release HD-DVD player and get the same features as this player.

Is the price difference worth it for the 2910 compared to a $500 player? I've read conflicting reviews some complaining about slow response times and disappointing video results. Anyone have this player and care to comment?

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
This is in Canada, I forgot to mention.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
I picked up the 2910. Great unit and I can expand into HDMI/DVI in the future.

Is it better to use 6 channel direct just for music, or should I just use it for movies too? I was switching back and forth watching a DTS track and noticed a lack of bass response in direct, but seemed a little more articulate in direct. What's the best route?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us