Limited edition 35th anniversary Apollo

Bronze Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 96
Just saw this on their web site. The Apollo now has a few upgrades.

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3404
There will only be 500 of them. Looks like there's quite a few upgrades in there. no idea about any change in price (I'm sure it costs more).

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 97
Yes I'm sure it will cost more. I wonder if this is an indication that the Apollo is about to be changed or upgraded.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11178
I thought that was called a saturn?

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 99
With those upgrades it getting close I would think.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 100
I hope someone here gets a hold of one to see how it stacks up against the the existing Apollo and the Saturn.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1589
Where's NmyTree when you need him?

He has both I think.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 101
I think he needs to complete the trio with the anniversary addition.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8252
Wish I had the dough..I'd pick it up with a new Elicit integrated...and be in hog heaven!

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 102
Art, if your going Elicit then you may as well go with the Saturn. Ok let me see, if we are talking Saturn maybe we should be looking at Cursa/Exon instead of the Elicit. At this point I would have to trade in the Sttaf's as well to maybe the Forests or even the Winds. Oh to have the dough would be fun.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8254
Well I may go for the Elicit...2 or 3 years from now. I figure that the LTD Apollo might be the compromise many have been hoping for between the Apollo and Saturn...who knows.

Let's see...dream system..

Rega Elicit
Rega IOS Phono Stage
Rega P9 w/Apheta
Rega Saturn or 35th Anniversary Apollo
Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8 speakers
All upper end van den Hul cables

Yep that'd work for me!

I really like integrateds Steve.

I know that some folks would rather spend 5K on another table other than that P9 but it is a beauty and fuss free.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 103
Art, that would be a beauty system. How do you find the Devore Fidelity speakers? Why the super 8 and not the Nines?

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 104
Also, why integrated and not pre/power if $ is no option?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8259
Super 8's are less money than the Nines and in a medium size room perform just as nicely. The Devore speakers are as natural and unforced as anything you'll ever hear. A dream speaker for folks who like the their music lively and engaging with natural timbre and great imaging.

I simply like the one box solution of an integrated. I'm pretty close to alone here on that but it's my preference.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 412
I'm a one box guy as well Art. Can't see ever changing that.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 105
I have to say the Mira 3 is an exceptional integrated amp. It's even making my old cheap Yamaha speakers sound not that bad. As I write this I'm listening to Dion Bronx in Blue, one helluva good blues cd, and even with the Yamaha's it's really rockin thanks to the Rega gear. Hopefully one day I'll be able to audition the Devore's, they sound great Art.

Bronze Member
Username: The_mofo

Post Number: 15
Crap, crap, crap. What a waste.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8272
Go f u c k yourself willie...I'm sure it'll be the best you ever had...gidday!

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 106
Way to go Art. On a positive note I just spoke to Dale at Eugene Hi Fi and ordered some Vibrapods. Thanks for the recommendation Art, he seems like a great guy.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8275
Dale & Chris are good folk.

Sorry about the little indiscretion there however I was moved to speak my mind...lol!

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 107
I felt like saying the same thing Art, but I refuse to even acknowledge him.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Ooh, a little tetchy today aren't we? You might want to look that word up Art because with your limited vocabulary and intellect, I'm sure you believe I incorrectly spelled "touchy". Pathetic excuse for a huamn being.

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 26
Way to go Will. Art, the great audio guru, at least in his own mind anyway, needs to be taken down a peg or two.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 416
Well, well, well. Back again. Adding value to the discussion as always.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8288
Dale..I still don't know why you find this so entertaining...but whatever.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 108
If we all just ignore him he will more than likely go away. I can't believe there are no moderators here to ban people like this. Other forums do not tolerate this kind of behavior.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8291
He does indeed go away if ignored.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Why should I leave? I have a right to be mystified by the gurus like everyone else. I'm trying to learn everyhing from you know-it-alls. Like the commercial said, "I want to be like Mike."

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 27
Good luck with that.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3410
I found out the new price of the 35th Anniversary model. The standard model costs £600. The Anniversary model costs £725. Given that the front panel has gone to metal, I would doubt that the SE would come close to the Saturn. I get the feeling the Saturn has quite a bit more under the covers, given that it has that rather large extra heatsink which is denied the SE.

Unfortunately, it looks like I may not get the opportunity to hear one either.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 200
I already spoke to my Rega dealer and he's gonna' be on it for me, Mike.

As soon as they're taking orders for this 35th Anniversary Apollo (which I beleive is late January, but not exactly sure on the date), he's going to order it for me.

Now all I have to do is hope they're not all spoken for or sold, when he places his order for me.

Should be interesting to hear this baby and see how it stacks up against the standard Apollo and Saturn.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 123
Good luck and keep us posted.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8401
Looking forward to reading your impressions...good luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
Thanks guys! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't know how these limited editions go. I suppose they may go quickly. Irf I'm lucky, there will be one for me.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1623
I hope you're able to get it NMyTree. With you Rega frequent shopping card you should have enough points to reserve a spot on the list I would think.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 231
The Original Apollo, minus the special upgraded aluminum LE 35th front fascia, weighs in at all of 8 lbs.

If the front panel has gone from plastic to aluminum, that's got to be worth US$180.

Whatever happened to the critical bulk and density of thick PCBs, anti-resonant casework, voltage regulators, heatsinks and power transformers?

Own wool socks that weigh more than 8 lbs., but they don't play CDs

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
I don't know, but my original Apollos sure sound beautiful in their wool sock-shy 8 lbs.

Much better than a lot of CD Players I have heard that weigh more than three or four pairs of your apparently unusually heavy wool socks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
The "lightweight" criticism pitched at competitive brands just doesn't sit well with Rega owners.

Here's a tell-tale conversation at Audiogong:
http://www.avguide.com/forums/cambridge-azur-840c-versus-rega-apollo.

Just don't think there's a center of the universe when it comes to Audio.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8412
Yes I'm sure that conversation at A'gon represents Rega Apollo owners everywhere. No one in their right minds wouldn't say that the Apollo isn't quirky...however...and this is important to me...none of the quirks include a noisy transport. I don't care about any criticism of the Apollo. I like mine and that's what matters to me as I'm the one who paid for it. I'm sure there are plenty of satisfied CA owners who feel the same way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
I gotta' tell ya, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my Apollos or Saturns. None!

But I will tell you that all I ever do is put the CD in, I'm pateint and wait a 20-30 seconds; then press "Play".

I'm not a guy who goes about selecting only certain tracks or jumping and skipping from track to track ...all over the CD.

I just play CD's from track one.....till the last track....from start to finish. I have no interest in messing around with all that stuff. I like listening to complete albums....complete CDs.

Maybe that's why I haven't experienced any quirky behavior with my Rega components.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 130
I also love my Apollo. My wife at times fast forwards tracks and a few times it has not played when play is pressed. I then press stop and play and it's fine. There is one cd, an elvis cd, where it will not play a couple tracks. This is the only cd it has done that on. I really love this player.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8413
Try the Stefon Harris cd African Tarantelle...you'll have trouble with that one, it stops one track shy every time. Even with the quirks I love the Apollo.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 372
NMyTree,

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but how do you like your Castle Conway 3's? My dealer has been asking me to audition them. I've heard they are warm but maybe a little too heavy in the low-end.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13206

"No one in their right minds wouldn't say that the Apollo isn't quirky ... "

I try to keep only one mind operating at any given moment. It would be a terrible thing to waste more than that.

Quirky?!

Other than not caring much for a few early CD-R's I have (I don't care much for some of them nowdays), my player has done nothing I consider to be "quirky".

And I have a new puppy who is absolutely f'ing nuts - so I know "quirky".

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
George, I like the Castle Acoustic Conway 3's, but I no longer have them. I sold them.

I fell in love with my Jamo C607 speakers (really need to update my profile, lol) and the Conway 3 were phased out.

The Conway 3's have a very strong bass frequency. Their bass is very, very nice.

I would say you try auditioning them and see if you like them.

Ar eyou talking about the Conway 3's designed and made in the UK by the original Castle Acoustics? Or is your dealer selling the the new IAG designed and made Castle Acoustic speakers?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8414
Mine is quirky Jan, like it or not. I'm pretty sure from the online reports that mine is not alone.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13208

Art, there are so many things left for me to like or not when you report your findings that I've just decided it doesn't matter that much to me. What you report and what you say you find reported are often so distant from what I realize to be my reality that I file most of your posts under the "Art Bell" side of my information catalog. Though I must say I find Art Bell to be quite informative at times.

Sorry to hear about your "quirky" Apollo. I can't remember "quirky" being covered under Rega's warranty.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3441
Quirky...hmmm...

Play a CD, lift the lid and the music keeps on playing! Not always but sometimes. That's one symptom I've found but pretty much the only one I've found. Other than that, and the obligatory 7 - 20 second wait to start playing, it acts just like any other player.

Apparently the 35th Anniversary unit has other things going on apart from the front face - there's a few key components which have been upgraded internally to make it sound better.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8415
I'm relieved Jan because I pay less attention to most of your posts than you do mine. I figure when we don't pay attention to each other we get along just fine. Can't say that I listen to Art Bell (more than once anyway) but I do know who you are talking about and I won't return the insult. As I stated I if we ignore each other we'll get along just fine...as we normally do.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rega-apollo-saturn-buyers-beware-323583/

As I stated earlier, and my only point being, that I can take information that is critical of the Apollo and be just fine with it because I have experienced some of the same problems many other Apollo owners have and I still like the player...sounds better than any other I've owned.

The thread linked above is one of many you can find online with folks who don't like the Apollo for one reason or the other.

I would love to hear the special edition one. I will hear the Elicit very soon and am quite excited about that.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1630
My Saturn does the same thing that Frank described but that is by design or so I understand. Due to the player reading the disc and then going about which is the best way to play the music to accommodate the recording you have what equates to a delayed broadcast. The data read is in a cache or queue and remains there to play out after you open the lid. My logical conclusion is that it does not happen all of the time because sometimes the disc does not need the player to accommodate the recording and simply just starts playing. When this occurs and you open the deck lid the CD stops spinning and stops playing.

Not quirky, just design.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 450
I bought one of the early CDPs. It is now over 22 years young. I have never had to unplug it and plug it back in, wait a certain time to hit 'play', watch how long I left it on, pound on the top, or cut the power to stop it from playing. It has never been serviced. It never died in an electrical storm, power outage or a brownout. I did have to make sure the discs were reasonably clean. It still works. Ain't progress wonderful?

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 134
I have never had my Apollo continue to play after opening the lid, but I would never open the lid with out pressing stop first. It would seem to me that that process could lead to error problems.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 149
When I had the Saturn, it stopped working one time. When it was playing, I pressed "stop" button on the remote. Nothing happened. I pressed stop on the unit, nothing happened again. And I keep pressing stop continuously for 5 or 6 times. It finally stopped and on the lcd screen showing the player was rebooting it self. After that, it played ok again.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8419
Yep loc those are the kind of minor annoyances I'm talking about. Overall the performance is so good that those very occasional minor niggles don't bother me much.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13211

Somebody here doesn't know digital is "perfect".

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11264
I havn't played the Apollo enough to really notice too many quirks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11265
It plays all the pledge polished, micro-fibre rubbed, colored markered, frozen -and-thawed, twice hail-Mary-ed cd's that I have played.

I'm sorry, quirks was it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Limited Editions are a time-worn Marketing Dept. ploy hatched at increased margins on well received products. If they eliminate plastic, so much the better; any other brand would have been guffawed off the board, but not Apollo.

Quirky (much like guffawed) is a native Midwest, United States, term commonly used by Mennonites, Amish, Catholics and Protestants. It might even be Jewish term from the Old Testament - sounds kind of Yiddish. Bernie Madoff, BTW, would be proud of the Limited Edition ploy.

And, quit making fun of me on quirky. Much like some Rega owners, I can't take it anymore.

Quirk. Webster online: kwerk.
1 a: an abrupt twist or curve b: a peculiar trait :

Quirky, as used in the Midwest by Mennonites, Amish etc., is also a term to describe individuals that have an absolute encyclopedic knowledge of a specific subject (geeky is also used, but I didn't say that.)

So to those individuals that qualify, take quirky as a compliment.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8422
"It plays all the pledge polished, micro-fibre rubbed, colored markered, frozen -and-thawed, twice hail-Mary-ed cd's that I have played."

Yeah it played all of those for me as well.

BTW JAW I live in Mennonite country here in Linn County. I have a friend who works at the Mennonite Home here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
no harm, no foul

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1634
Linn County?

Whoa.

Although I hate to ask, Art can you get me some LP12 upgrades cheap?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8428
LOL! Well I think the folks here in this Linn county may not be of much help!

I almost lived in Linn county Iowa once as well. Interestingly Iowa has a Linn and Benton Counties adjacent to each other and I live in Linn County and work in the adjacent Benton County here in Oregon (lived in Corvallis in Benton County for 20 years). OK so I love geography...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11267
Nothing 'quirky' about that...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8429
Noooo!

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Okay, here's some irony for all of this.

Last night, I put my Johannes Linstead- Mediterranea CD inot my Apollo (the oldest of my two Apollos) and lower the lid and walk over to get my remote control.

After 15-20 seconds I press Play. The LED read-out on the Apollos front panel switches to Track 1 and shows " 00:00 ".

But no music is coming out. Hmmmm....

I press Stop, lift the lid, close the lid, again; and wait another 15 seconds.

LED Read-out looks right, I press Play.

Nothing.

I press Stop and remove the CD. I look at the CD and it's covered with these large dust particles. I have no idea where they came from, because I just played this CD on Tuesday and it was clean.

So I gently cleaned off the dust particles. Then I put on my little head lamp and look at the laser lens on the Apollo. There's a few large dust particles sitting on the lens.

I retrieved my "Perfection Blush Brush (all natural fibers)" (which I usually use to gently clean the dust build up, away from my speaker's dust covers and rubber surrounds) from my tool box and gently...carefully brushed the dust off the lens.

After that, I put the CD back in, waited 15 seconds and pressed Play.

And....music started playing. No more problems.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13212

"I press Stop and remove the CD. I look at the CD and it's covered with these large dust particles. I have no idea where they came from, because I just played this CD on Tuesday and it was clean."

Just checking here. It's the beginning of winter so you have the heaters going which lowers the humidity. And you don't have a clue how dust got on a piece of plastic?

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Yes Jan, I'm completely baffled by this unholy presence of dust on my CD.

Thank god you were here to expalin it all to me!!!

You see, I'm not baffled by the science of it all. I'm baffled by how these particles were able to squeeze themselves through the tight confines on the CD's jewel box and get under the CD sitting in it's tray; after squeezing themselves through a drawer and into a tightly packed row of CDs, that is.

It must be a miracle. Or maybe an invasion of mutant dust particles with tiny, nano brains and a good sense of direction.

Jan, could you please design tiny Ray Guns so I could blast those evil Mutant Dust Particles into dust hell?

Thank you.

Meanwhile, the mystery continues

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13213

Or maybe they "appeared" on the CD between the time it left the "tight confines on the CD's jewel box" and got "under the CD sitting in it's tray; after squeezing themselves through a drawer and into a tightly packed row of CDs, that is" and it got placed into your player.

An LP doesn't attract dust while its in its sleeve. It attracts dust as you pull it out of the sleeve and transfer it to the platter. The same thing occurs with any polyXXXchoride/polycarbonite product.

There's no need to get uppity here, guy. If you didn't know why this happens, now you have some idea. Just pay attention next time you pull out a CD. It isn't a mystery how this happens. Try a D'Stat or something similar before you put the disc into the player. Or wipe them with a microfiber towel.

And calm down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Seriously Jan, you need a sense of humor upgrade.

Believe me, I'm not "uppity" or excited/angry.

I was having a little fun with your response, which on the surface does come off as condescension (not to be confused with condensation )

I have no interest in getting angry or nasty with internet people who come off that way. I just try to have some fun with it.

And for the record, my initial comment of.....

"I press Stop and remove the CD. I look at the CD and it's covered with these large dust particles. I have no idea where they came from, because I just played this CD on Tuesday and it was clean."

...was in a rolleyes/tounge-in-cheek, exasperated...almost sarcastic display of annoyance.

Because I have known for a long time how dust becomes attatched to LPs and CDs. I was collectiong and spinning vinyl records when I was 7-8 years old.

But thank you for your attempt to enlighten me.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 402
Quantum physics...things arn't there and then they're there...or they're there and not there at the same time. Stephen Hawkings could really enlighten us.

I feel the love guys.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3448
NMyTree

A tree is not a suitable location for an Apollo...

:-)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
Likewise, Happy Holidays to all.

Seasons Greetings to the U.S. men and women overseas. Thanks.

Sound's like F.A. is signing off. Hope you're flying off to someplace warm like Playa Rega, Mexico.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8448
Merry Xmas to you Frank.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1649
Merry Christmas all!!!

I will not be traveling as I have a phono cable to break in.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11272
NMT, it is called an anti-stat gun, to take care of the pesky ionizing electrons that love plastic on plastic. You could de-ionize the pickup as well, but be sure to power down first.

And yes, my hair is standing on end, so I turned up the humidifier and shot the tt cart with the gun as well.

Cool baby!

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
A Merry Christmas and Wonderful Holidays......to all, guys and gals!!!

Yes Nuck, those are the kind of Ray Guns I was speaking of

Sorry, my sense of humor is at times.....a bit out there and into the upper atmosphere. I didn't mean any harm or offense. Was just having some fun with it; that's all.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3455
Frank is back from holidays in Malta where it was a balmy 16 - 18 degrees during the day and a chilly but acceptable 10 - 14 degrees at night.

Unfortunately I caught a cold while there, but coming back to the frozen UK was a real SHOCK!

Username: Brownsound

Post Number: 1
Anybody have one of these out there? I saw one on A'gon, was thinking about it, but wondered how it compared to regular Apollo... Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us