New NAD T742 Owner - Now speaker question.

I am in the process of upgrading / changing over my older stereo system to a newer HT setup.

It is a rather cobbled together system using a combination of old and new equipment. I got rid of my NAD 3020/ADCOM GFA 2 setup (the Adcom had gone sour), and replaced with an NAD T742.

Now I have a pair of Rega B speakers (from Canada, circa early '90s) for the mains, and I am using a pair of FRIED BETA speakers (circa late '80s) for the surrounds.

Without wanting to spend a lot of money right now and replace all speakers, any thoughts on a Center speaker? I still want good quality and something that I won't get rid of too soon (I keep my gear pristine and try to buy higher end e.g., Thorens TT, Nakamichi Cassette, Phillips SACD). Ultimately I also want to replace the mains, but would probably first also add a powered subwoofer.

Thanks

Anonymous
Try PSB, Monitor Audio Bronze or Wharfdale evo's.

The PSB are the most neutral of the three. The MA Bronze and Evo's have about the same sound.

You want a speakr with an efficiency of 90db +/- so your T742 will not be overwelmed.

Hawk
Audio First:

Tough question as Rega, the last of the true believers, only does stereo in speakers and would not stoop to make a center speaker! Still, nice speakers.

I wouldn't worry too much about a center speaker--I would be searching for new main speakers. Then once you choose them, buy the matching center speaker, knowing you are going to buy new mains in the not too distant future.

What size room are you going to install this into?

John A.
Ah, Rega...

Actually, they have a centre speaker model called the Rega Senta.

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

I have Planar 3 turntable, but no knowledge of their speakers, they didn't make speakers then.

Hawk
John A.

I don't doubt you, but I was just in to see a dealer friend last week about Rega and he insisted they didn't make a center speaker--perhaps it isn't imported into the States. Or perhaps he just didn't carry it! I don't know, but I am glad to hear from you on it. Perhaps I will investigate Rega speakers now.

Warmest regards,

John A.
I thought like Hawk, but I see Rega also make a sub, the Vulcan. See above link.

Audio first, keep your old, high-quality kit. You did right to get the T742.

The old stereo purist values are not displaced by multi-channel; sound is still sound, ears have not evolved, physics has not been overturned.

But are you happy with Rega B speakers? If you are, why change? I would try to stay with Rega, even if it requires some detective work to find a dealer. A sub may transform the Rega Bs for HT. If the Vulcan is really expensive, consider a Rel Quake. Matching a sub is less critical than matching other speakers. Just get a good one.

Hawk
Hey, I have looked into the Rega Senta on their website and it might well be a match for your existing speakers. If you still wanted to upgrade, you could get new Rega mains down the road and move your "B"s to the rear.

Rega makes really nice gear.

John A.
Hawk, thank you. Our posts crossed. Your dealer friend is wrong. Show him the link. If is a distribution problem, there is a worldwide dealer list on the Rega web site. All it gives for US is a distributor in Dallas http://www.soundorg.com/, plus a retailer contact and a Rega owners support contact. Audio first could buy from Europe, WTO would approve but probably not George W. You won't need a 240 V/50 Hz - 110 V/60 Hz supply transformer for a center speaker. You might for the sub.

I admit I am not rational about Rega. My planar 3 is now 24, and the best thing I ever bought. If I were a Pharoah or a Viking I would plan a place for it when I go...

John A.
Posts crossed again, Hawk. I agree about moving the Bs to the rear, but have never heard of "FRIED BETA". Let us shakes hands across time zones.
All the best.

John A.
Posts crossed again, Hawk. I agree about moving the Bs to the rear, but have never heard of "FRIED BETA". Let us shake hands across time zones.
All the best.

Hawk
I am going back to my dealer to listen more to the Rega speakers. I have always liked their gear and I would love to spend some time with their speakers. I need something new.

Anonymous
I've bought the Rega Senta this week and teamed it with my Jamo E800 and Marantz sr 5200. What an incredible improvement over my previous Yamaha budget center! I feared jamo didn't mix but that wasn't an issue. Great piece of gear I recommend it.

Hawk
Audio First:

I heard a center speaker recently that was very musical and detailed, and I think should work very well with your Regas. Check out the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo Center. If you like it, you can later add other Evo line speakers to your system (you can even go to an entire Evo 5.1 speaker system).

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us