Arcam dv137 vs Arcam cd 73

Bronze Member
Username: Slappyjones

Post Number: 11
Any opinions on which to choose if pricing is similar?/I know most aren't too keen on using a universal player as a cdp but what if the cost was similar to a the cd 73?I could get either for about $400.I have read good things about the analog capabilities of the dv137,but also that these players had some early glitches it being Arcam's first universal player.

Everyone seems to find the cd 73 a good value.But whereas the dv137 is usually $150-200 more than what I can get it for it is tempting me.I am planning to use it mostly as a cdp with occasional dvd use.

Or should I just take the $400 and put it toward a used Apollo?I was hoping to stay under $500 otherwise it would have been a no brainer for the Apollo.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12254
RJ, it kinda depends on synergy with the rest of your system. I have had good and very good cdplayers in an average budget kit and couldn't tell the difference.
If you put a subpar cdp in a good kit, well... it stick out like a half bone.
I like the Apollo, so do a lot of people here, but if all is price dependant, you might want to shop a little more.
Nad 542 comes to mind, and the newer Nad players as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I was looking at the newer NAD545bee but there is very little in the way of reviews on it as of yet.I am using it in a second system with a yba integrated amp and a pair of swan 2.1se's.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12258
The Apollo will work well, I think.
The yba is tube? No balanced connection?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
No the YBA is solid state and no balanced outputs.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12260
Have you heard the Apollo or other players in your room yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Nope.I was thinking of picking up a Audio Refinement Complete cd player but I keep missing out on them when they come up for sale.The best player I own is the Denon 3930ci.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 562
With that amp and those speakers you need a decent source......certainly something in the league of the Apollo.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 109
I've got a DV135. The 137 will enable you to play DVD-A discs. This was an interest of mine which is why I opted for a universal DVD player as my source, and in my price range the Arcam 135 was the best option. I will add a standalone CD player some time in the future, but because of the DV135 it's not a pressing need for me.

If you aren't interested in this other format then I guess conventional wisdom would say a similar priced CD only player like the CD37 would be superior.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12277
DVD-A is dead, but if you own a lot(all) of the releases, you will be in good shape for a long time.
Buying forward looks like a good investment in a cdp, 44.1 never changes, it just sucks once in a while.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 110
Nuck, there's always ebay! Even some Internet retailers still stock lots of DVD-A's (CD Universe, Amazon). Anyways, my SACD and DVD-A collection is complete once I add the Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A.

The main thing I'll have to determine is whether to get an upsampling player (CA 740c/840c, Arcam C192 or NAD C465) or non-upsampling (Naim CD5i, Rega Apollo). 'Course, by the time I'm in the market there could be totally new players available from all of these brands.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12282
Dan, he market shifts, but not your collection.
Choose towards your musical tastes and library.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12283
The Eagles, Hell freezes OverDVD-A on the BDP, Sony 350.
Sounds ok, pretty good,not monkeying with the settings, pcm Stereo.

Amend post.'.Love will keep us alive' sounds nearly dead
the player does not work well for detail here at all.

Hotel California is a bit better, but not there so to speak.

My kit, my stereo, my problem.

nowI Iswitch to the Hell freezes Over dvd, and WOW!

Man, I wish I had room for 5.1, all Totem

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2468
Hell freezes over in 5.1 Uncompressed PCM is absolutely incredible Nuck.

On the 350 Nuck make sure your RCA inputs on the back are set to 2.0 and not 5.1 or you may be only getting half of the recording.

5.1 Totem would be wild. Amazing I mean.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12305
The conns are right, Nick, and thanks.

That dvd just does everything so freaking right.
Absolutely a reference recording for a lot of reasons, the director and editor did it all the right way, making the show very special. The video is not choppy or wasting time, the proper amount of time is given to the artists, which is not always the case.
If you see James Taylor..Live at the Beacon, you will see bad direction. Just fast clip shots and eye candyand busyness that does not match the outstanding sonics and music.
Look for that one, and play music only.
4.8 and 4.8, 2.7 for video.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2473
Nice. Will do man. Thanks.

Hey if you want another Blu Ray/DVD that is amazing for audio check out the latest Dave Mathews band. Its crazy good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us