Harmon Kardon's wattage per channel?

jim
Is the harmon kardon dpr1001 known to be a good receiver? Why is harmon kardon's wattage so low or does this really matter?

Max
Hello,
AWW the truth will now be told!!! Heres the deal my friend, H/K doesnt like to lie, Sony ,Jvc,
and most other big name receivers DO lie!! Ok your reading through the new crutchfield and you see the H/K's 50wtts for surround and its priced at 500$, next page you see these souped up JVC's at 130wtts in surround for only 450$, you say "why would I get 50wtts when I could get more wtts for less?" Well in reality those 130wtts arent rated with ALL channels driven and when ALL channels are driven that awesome 130wtts turns into a measly 30-40wtts...H/K rates there wtts with ALL channels driven....Understand???
Oh yes, most 100-130 watt big name receivers weigh about 15-20 pounds, the H/K's are like 30-40 lbs...More weight=more power and superior construction!!
Max

Anonymous
Jim, As long as you have 90+ efficient 8ohm nominal speakers then the HK receivers should be OK.

The moment you put inefficient and 6ohm speakers in a system headed by an HK it will run hot forever. Stable through the ohm rang, they are not.

Jim
Thank you for your time and your answers. Have you heard anything good about the harmon kardon dpr1001?

Max
Hello,
Well I have not read about or heard that model but it looks pretty cool for what it is. Don't worry, with H/k you cant go wrong!!

Hawk
Max is correct about the lies told to us by Sony, JVC, et al. Most receiver makers do lie about their power ratings. See the following site, which is a chart of the receiver reviews done by Sound & Vision magazine:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm

You will note almost everyone's receivers come up short on power--some by very large differences!

However, there is more going on with the dpr1001. That is H/K's first all digital amplifier. Now, I admit I don't yet understand what that means, but I do know that Sony's new ES line is also all digital, so it is something they are all looking at. However, a note of caution--20 years ago, the rage was all IC outputs, replacing output transistors. Baasically everybody converted to IC outputs and the results were pretty dismal as the sound quality went into the tank. So, I am not saying that the sound quality would be poor, but don't buy just to have the "latest and greatest." Sometimes the latest is not so great--we will just have to see.

Max
Hello,
Yeah I don't really understand the DPR either?
Max

Kar
Is there a site which rates newer models similarly?

Thanks

Max
Hello,
I am afraid I don't understand?
Max

Kar
I was refering to the site Hawk pointed out.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm

This doesnt rate many newer models (2002/2003)
I was wondering if there is any other site which has ratings for newer models.

Hawk
Sorry Kar, that is the only one I am aware of.

Max
Hello,
Yes kar I also which there was a rating for new models too....Max
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us